Another cracked screen.

Just a thought about these repeat windscreen replacements. Could it be that when these screens were replaced, the van wasn't on level ground. Could it betherefore that there is a slight twist in the body when the new screen is fitted......and then when the van is driven, the (albeit slight) flex in the body causes stress in the new screen.....and hey presto........another crack! I'm probably way off beam but when (because it sounds like it's when, not if) I need a new screen, I'll be very particular about how the van is sat before I let anyone near it.
Like I say......probably barking up the wrong tree.....but these multiple screen failure's have me perplexed! :thumbsup:

Just a thought about these repeat windscreen replacements. Could it be that when these screens were replaced, the van wasn't on level ground. Could it betherefore that there is a slight twist in the body when the new screen is fitted......and then when the van is driven, the (albeit slight) flex in the body causes stress in the new screen.....and hey presto........another crack! I'm probably way off beam but when (because it sounds like it's when, not if) I need a new screen, I'll be very particular about how the van is sat before I let anyone near it.
Like I say......probably barking up the wrong tree.....but these multiple screen failure's have me perplexed! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't have thought so? my three screens have all been replaced inside a workshop by National Windscreens, thats the main reason I went to them because Auto glass only fit them outside..Auto glass originally came to fit mine in the pissing rain and could not cover my T6 so I told them not to bother and canceled the job! I think the screens are just poor quality?

I wouldn't have thought so? my three screens have all been replaced inside a workshop by National Windscreens, thats the main reason I went to them because Auto glass only fit them outside..Auto glass originally came to fit mine in the pissing rain and could not cover my T6 so I told them not to bother and canceled the job! I think the screens are just poor quality?
Fair comment mate......I'm just wracking my brains as to why (apart from the obvious) this happens so frequently? I too would want mine doing in a workshop!

@rse biscuits!!! My daughter cracked her nut off the rear view mirror and I now have a complinentary crack in my windscreen !!! Bugger Bugger Bugger!!!

IMG_0101.JPG

Gutted for you Roca.....I've convinced myself it's just a matter of time!:(
Out of curiosity, do you think it was from a vehicle you were following or thrown up from something coming the other way?

Gutted for you Roca.....I've convinced myself it's just a matter of time!:(
Out of curiosity, do you think it was from a vehicle you were following or thrown up from something coming the other way?
Definitely in front mate, was on the motorway inside lane :(

Is this a possible warrantly claim? My daughters head didn't hit the mirror 'that' hard

Is this a possible warrantly claim? My daughters head didn't hit the mirror 'that' hard
I'll tell you what mate......I'd at least try! You probably wont get anywhere, but nothing ventured, nothing gained! Good luck. :thumbsup:

Stone Chip Sniper finally got me, 3 chips and now this. Time to bite the bullet and get it replaced.

74D92563-2816-4285-B651-0C3038E0B046.jpeg

New screen in yesterday, I think I had the same fitter as @GJH by the looks of it. Had to abandon replacement last week with Auto Glarse, due to wind and rain - they don't have a single depot in UK&I anymore

Finally found out, that its the tape that they stick the cables for the heater elements to the screens in transit, that leaves the little square marks at the bottom of the screen that you can't remove.

Oh mate....gutted! Just waiting for me to get hit.....it will happen! Were you following someone or was it oncoming traffic?

Oh mate....gutted! Just waiting for me to get hit.....it will happen! Were you following someone or was it oncoming traffic?

Following a tipper truck in a 50 and BANG! Didn't even see the stone. Auto Windscreens done a pretty decent repair the same day for £25, can still see it in the sunlight but at least I didn't have to have a new screen

Reactions: Loz
I had a chip, made the mistake of not getting it sorted and now it’s a crack.
Been waiting over a week for a screen. Something about none available. (Going through insurance using Autoglass)

I had a screen go after 6 months and had Autoglass fit a new one. (May this year) They did a good job and fitted genuine VW one. Fitter said he collected from VW dealer. Apparently only VW ones available at the moment which is good. I kept the part nos. off of the screen and putting them through Google is interesting. I found a dealer in Poland offering one for 190 euros + vat & shiiping and also one for 239 euros.
The part no. is 8579AGAHMVZ15 and I believe this to be the VWpart number although not confirmed. The sites are mostly eastern European. May be worth buying a few?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back