All Terrain Tyres For Winter

No, I live on the south coast and don't go skiing or similar, just the usual dusting here every now and then

I have tried to work out how often I actually go off road in mileage terms - it is about:

93% on tarmac or gravel
5% farm tracks
2% grass or similar

A couple of times a month I will be driving and parking in fields so I need something with some grip but not a full All Terrain tyre. On my last Defender I had Cooper AT3's which a more road bias and they were fine, but this car will be 2wd..

This is why I was thinking Michelin CC+ SUV which state they are good for 10% off road but of course they don't define off road!

Years ago I had Pirelli Scorpion STR tyres that were great, just wish they still did them

Still pondering
I think the 10% off road tyre rating relates to chip and cut resistance to the tread and tyre wall, more than it relates to grip.
Any of the all-seasons will be better than most regular summer tyres off road; its just some are better than others.
If ice/snow/cold aren't really an issue, maybe the Michelin LatX, maybe the way; I think they will be better off road than CC. I've run LatX on my T5, and they are very good tyres.
Our T5/T6 only really get used at weekends mostly, and then they are always parked in grass fields which are often muddy. The LatX's performed very well in those circumstances.

I have tried to work out how often I actually go off road in mileage terms - it is about:

93% on tarmac or gravel
5% farm tracks
2% grass or similar

A couple of times a month I will be driving and parking in fields so I need something with some grip but not a full All Terrain tyre. On my last Defender I had Cooper AT3's which a more road bias and they were fine, but this car will be 2wd..

This is why I was thinking Michelin CC+ SUV which state they are good for 10% off road but of course they don't define off road!

Years ago I had Pirelli Scorpion STR tyres that were great, just wish they still did them

Still pondering
Sorry, I miss read your post; are you thinking about All Terrain; and more aggressive than GG AT3's?
Do you have 17" wheels?
If so maybe BFG KO2 AT 225/65/17, or look at Yokohama Geolanders GO15 - but sizing is more difficult with this tyre

I think a full AT is overboard. I was thinking about the best all weather M&S rated tyre.

I wouldn't fit AT unless my van had extreme duties.
I would seriously consider the Michelin LatX if you can live without 3pMSN winter rating.
If you want 3PMSN with good off road ability then Nokian Weatherproof SUV for me.

Last edited:
Got Nokian Weatherproof on mine, albeit 18's and so far very pleased with them. Live up a dirt track that gets no sun in the winter so if we do get ice it hangs about for ages, didn't get stuck once last winter in either hard pack snow or ice, not been in a muddy field yet.

The down side of the Michelin CC SUV for snow/mud/grass etc , is imo lack of tread depth from new (7mm), same as a summer tyre; and the lack of voids;
On the upside they perform very well in summer conditions on road; but that maybe more relevant to a performance vehicle rather than a van.
So, if driving off made up roads is part of your vans duties imo other tyres are better

Standard 16" steels with 235/70/16
How are you doing with the tyres? i know the post is 2 years old but looking to put similar tyres on my camper as my originals now need changing. Do you have spacers on the wheels or do these tyres fit without any modifications. Thinking of putting them on Claytons. 6.5in x 16.

How are you doing with the tyres? i know the post is 2 years old but looking to put similar tyres on my camper as my originals now need changing. Do you have spacers on the wheels or do these tyres fit without any modifications. Thinking of putting them on Claytons. 6.5in x 16.
You may be waiting a while for a reply, as he was last seen on here Dec 2019!!!

Back