Advice About Solar Panels And Fixing

Can I just ask for clarification, what did you put in the roof bar channels to screw your brackets to?

From memory i used some 5mm thick stainless plate with two threaded holes which slides snugly into the rubber channel.

I also attached the outer ends of the panel into the cross bars using riv nuts

Mine is a barn door van so i used the tailgate wiring harness hole which is blanked off on the barndoor equipped van.

If you have a barndoor van, look at the top of the left door jamb and you will see some rubber plugs, i route mine through one of those using a rubber boot from a tailgate model

Last edited:
Mine are not flat either and like yours fit either way around. However the panel still fits between them and cant be seen

Mine are not flat either and like yours fit either way around. However the panel still fits between them and cant be seen

I think we may be getting crossed wires.
Your bars certainly look asymmetrical in this pic (more bar infront of the channel than behind), mine are perfectly symmetrical:
assym.jpg

Also your bars look flat, my bars are curved like the red line.

flat.jpg

They are curved as you suggest by your redline.

20190616_094752.jpg

Not sure the previous pics showed that well.

I wanted to bolt through the panel into the cross bar in 4 places but that curve prevented me doing that, this is the reason the ends of the panel are bolted into the side of the cross bars and i have used z brackets in the middle.

I have also ensured i have power lead connectors nr the panel so it can be removed easily

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks for posting the pic's. That was just what I was planning on doing so can now see how it would look. Still not sure if mobile panel would be better though? With a pop top I could be limited by the direction of sun and campsite pitch orientation??

I have a 140W panel on my pop top, I’ve never noticed any issue caused be orientation to the sun. Obviously there is a difference but not enough to worry about.

I agree, never really see any orientation issues as long as its in the sun all is generally good

Back