Recommend Which Semi Flexible Solar Panel

Pummer67

T6 Pro
Looking for recommendations. Don't want to pay for a cheap and nasty kit but at the same time spend £500 on a crap system.
Any recommendations appreciated. I want a minimum of 100 watt. I want to leave fridge running all summer. I'm fed up of turning on and off every week.

Mark

Some info I added to another thread:

It's a Carbest (Reimo) Product number: 85329. 160W Ultra-flexible. It is bonded to the roof. Chosen because:
  • All black finish
  • Ultra Flexible
  • High voltage output which is advantageous using an MPPT charge controller (I use a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15)
  • EFTE coating making it tough and with high light transmittance due to honeycomb structure. More info here: ETFE - Wikipedia
  • Can be walked on when bonded flat (not that useful but must be tough!)
  • Heat-resistant up to circa. 150 °C (I have measured the surface temperature when we had the 28 deg C days with direct sun and it was 62 deg. C.)
  • Thin 3mm
  • Light
Info here: Reimo - Solar panel flexible 160W, 1505x540x3mm, 8m cable, ETFE + fiberglass, black

More details here in PDF catalogue. https://www.reimo.com/de/bilder/Carbest_Katalog_2018_EN_Web.pdf See page 4. Power Panel Flex 160 Pro black.

Not the cheapest but I am very pleased with the performance.

Hope this helps.

D.

Check with Travelvolts. Martyn supplied a 250W self adhesive panel, which is managed by an Ablemail MPPT. Choose a good quality high wattage unit to ensure you'll get the full benefits..

We have a 250w panel from photonics universe - seems pretty good. Fridge is permanently on over summer and we never use hookup.

I don’t understand why a roof manufacturer hasn’t made a poptop where the solar panel is part of the roof itself..

I don’t understand why a roof manufacturer hasn’t made a poptop where the solar panel is part of the roof itself..

With a flexi panel with rear junction box though, it’s effectively flush to the roof anyway.

And I read you should have an mppt charge controller.

Plenty of info on the Internet if you Google 'MPPT vs PWM'. Here is some info from Victron: Which solar charge controller: PWM or MPPT? - Victron Energy

Here is a practical example from our 160W solar panel using the Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 and real data from their App connected via Bluetooth:

upload_2018-8-1_16-50-35.png

A PWM charge controller would as best put in 5.1A (assuming 100% efficiency). Where as this MPPT charge controller is converting the available power down to a lower voltage and hence higher current and putting in 7.7A This was from part cloudy skies hence the reduced output from the solar panel itself. The MPPT helps harvest as much power as possible in such conditions.

@Wills do you have any more pics of your install? cables going into the van etc?
where do you put the controller - is your battery under the seat or?

if you have the link to where you bought the panel that would be great!

thansk in advance.

@scotia , Martyn @travelvolts supplied all the kit:
I use an Ablemail DC/DC with solar input https://www.travelvolts.net/product-page/ripca-elogic-el1225
The battery and the controller are under the driver's seat. The cables run to the front using the factory cable route and to the rear via the B pillar.
The solar panel (Photonics) is self adhesive and the cables are fed through the panel (You can drill certain areas that are not part of the active panel) and roof. I have an SCA roof and at the rear there's a Velcro panel that provides access to the cables where they.re connected to the forward cabling.
I hope the above makes sense. See pics below

Ablemail fit.jpg

Ablemail_Victron.jpg

solar 1.JPG

Drivers seat 1.jpg

Last edited:
I've had several of the cheaper panels from ebay and had no trouble at all in many years!
I've used this seller a few times: The Friendly Green Store | eBay Shops
One of them is a claimed 50 watt framed panel that consistently produces over 60 watts.
On the other hand of course if you're gluing it in place, it has to be a good one...

Last edited by a moderator:
What size solar panels are people using for their vans? I want to fix it to my roof crossbars and use my CTEK controller, running the normal camper stuff basic led lights, phone chargers and a dometic crx 50 with a 110 amp leisure battery. Looking for experience on what’s the best wattage and the best measurements to fit on the roof? Thanks

Back