Advice About Solar Panels And Fixing

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I am thinking about adding a solar panel to my van setup. I already have a leisure battery and Redarc dc-dc charger BCDC1240D I got from @travelvolts

So at the moment I don't have a pop top, but its a possibility in the future. Therefore I would rather mount the panel to OEM roofbars and therefore could be bonded to the pop top in future.

I am looking for advice as to how best to achieve this and how to select the best panel for my setup. (ie I don't want to get too powerful a panel for the Redarc.

Thanks

If you mount on roof bars..... then you would be looking at solid framed panels.

But if you bond it to the roof then thin flexible panels are more desirable....

I'd just get a solid panel for your roof bars....for now.

And if/when you get the roof done, just buy a flexible panel.

Then just sell or keep the solid frame one for mobile use.

Also look at a stand alone solar controller, just because the Redarc has solar controller..... doesn't mean you have to use it.

The Victron bluetooth mppt units are very popular.

Last edited:
Have a quick look over here for a quick vid >

Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

Just watched that. Thanks, really informative.
On the over discharging of the Leisure AGM battery, I have a voltmeter connected at the moment. What is the pd that is should not drop below?
AS I have the Redarc I don't have that auto load shut off function to protect the battery, but wouldn't need the PWM unit. Would that Battery Monitor II warn me if the leisure battery's state of charge was getting close to damaging the cells?
Thanks

Just watched that. Thanks, really informative.
On the over discharging of the Leisure AGM battery, I have a voltmeter connected at the moment. What is the pd that is should not drop below?
AS I have the Redarc I don't have that auto load shut off function to protect the battery, but wouldn't need the PWM unit. Would that Battery Monitor II warn me if the leisure battery's state of charge was getting close to damaging the cells?
Thanks

PD for AGM battery is 12.2vdc@50% and 12.0vdc@25%, so keep it above 12.2v . . .

ref: Battery Charging Tutorial | ChargingChargers.com

Yes the BM2 will warn you of a low battery state via the APP on a smart phone . . .

amazone example : https://www.amazon.co.uk/QUICKLYNKS-Battery-Monitor-Bluetooth-Device/dp/B01MT4583U

but they can be found cheaper on ebay . . . . bm2 monitor | eBay

BM2 monitor vid:

you can also buy stand-alone low voltage shut offs (battery guard) - like this > : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ett-M148A-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S1ZGN4Q6K7F95S1ZRJR6

and here >

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victron-Ba...y+disconnect&qid=1560278566&s=gateway&sr=8-15

Last edited:
I have a framed 150w panel mounted to my original vw roof rail cross bars.

I had to make up some custom brackets but real easy and works a treat and its easily removable.

The panel sits between the cross bars and adds no additional height

I have a framed 150w panel mounted to my original vw roof rail cross bars.

I had to make up some custom brackets but real easy and works a treat and its easily removable.

The panel sits between the cross bars and adds no additional height

Thanks, was the panel rigid or semi rigid?

Thanks everyone so far.

I have been looking at Solar panels. Some have the connection block on the front, some have it on the back.
I would prefer to have the connections on the back for a 'cleaner' install. However is the connector black low enough to allow the panel to fit flush on the roof on the raised parts with the connector in the 'gullies' on the roof?
Thanks again.

Thanks everyone so far.

I have been looking at Solar panels. Some have the connection block on the front, some have it on the back.
I would prefer to have the connections on the back for a 'cleaner' install. However is the connector black low enough to allow the panel to fit flush on the roof on the raised parts with the connector in the 'gullies' on the roof?
Thanks again.
No. You will end up with a slight bump at the back of the panel

Back