My Roof Might Be Crap But The Solar Panel Is Ace

Deaky

Life’s too short to drink shite beer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Not been all that sunny today but it’s still managed to put a fair bit back into the battery. Looking forward to cold beer again tomorrow :)

55A5FA6A-3982-4383-8D13-7CBD1069D49C.png

@Deaky - if you have time would you mind detailing your spec for the panel & controller? how did you do it - ie controller where etc? cable runs to the battery etc?

thanks!

@Deaky - if you have time would you mind detailing your spec for the panel & controller? how did you do it - ie controller where etc? cable runs to the battery etc?

thanks!
Panel is this one 12V solar panels charging kits for caravans, motorhomes, boats, yachts, marine

Controller is this BlueSolar MPPT 75/10, 75/15 & 100/15 (12 / 24 Volt + load output) - Victron Energy with a separate Bluetooth dongle or you can have the Bluetooth built in to the controller like this SmartSolar MPPT 75/10, 75/15, 100/15 & 100/20 - Victron Energy

Cable run to the controller is around 6mts. Through roof through the roof cassette, around the side of the van and down the passenger b pillar. The controller is next the the battery under the passenger seat. I went for the separate Bluetooth as the unit is smaller and space is premium. I don’t use it to control the load, only to charge the battery so the number of amps it can handle is unimportant.

Thanks for the infos @Deaky, if you happen to have a pic next time you have a mo that'd be great - especially the cable entry. I have an sca so was thinking to do it in a similar way as mentioned on another post - going through the roof out of the canvas and then passing through the velcro opening at the back that the SCA has..

Yup space is tight isnt it! I'll look at the dimensions and see if i can do that. I fear that my B pillar on that side is pretty full already of cables - might be too much to pass another one down there but i'll see.

first thing i need to see is if i can get the panel here to Switzerland..! 250w is huge!

Panel is this one 12V solar panels charging kits for caravans, motorhomes, boats, yachts, marine

Controller is this BlueSolar MPPT 75/10, 75/15 & 100/15 (12 / 24 Volt + load output) - Victron Energy with a separate Bluetooth dongle or you can have the Bluetooth built in to the controller like this SmartSolar MPPT 75/10, 75/15, 100/15 & 100/20 - Victron Energy

Cable run to the controller is around 6mts. Through roof through the roof cassette, around the side of the van and down the passenger b pillar. The controller is next the the battery under the passenger seat. I went for the separate Bluetooth as the unit is smaller and space is premium. I don’t use it to control the load, only to charge the battery so the number of amps it can handle is unimportant.
I fancy this panel, but I have the Ctek charger which is an MPPT but can't handle that level of open circuit voltage. I don't want to get rid of the Ctek, is there a small mppt solar charger I could put in line to control the voltage/current into the Ctek or will I have to replace the lot?

Keep the CTEK. Just connect the Solar controller directly to the battery

Keep the CTEK. Just connect the Solar controller directly to the battery
Ah right, bypass the Ctek altogether then? Any recommendations for a stand alone mppt, it's getting pretty tight under the seat?

im in the same boat just not the same brand - i bought the ablemail from @travelvolts but i didnt plan ahead enough and take the one that takes solar.. will take the seats off and have a planning session to see if i can add in another component (the victron) or if it'll be too tight. @Deaky did you take the
MPPT 75/10 ? and you treat the two chargers seperately then right? What cable did you use from the solar panel to the victron? rated 15A? Did you take any pics of the install atall? it was one part of your build thread that i couldnt find any pics!

ta very much!

After having a good read through that and checking, the little blue solar unit would fit perfectly in mine, but if that and the Ctek are both connected while driving won't it confuse the hell out of each charger?

After having a good read through that and checking, the little blue solar unit would fit perfectly in mine, but if that and the Ctek are both connected while driving won't it confuse the hell out of each charger?
I can't see any problems with that. Both of them are just happy when the battery has reached the set voltage.

I can't see any problems with that. Both of them are just happy when the battery has reached the set voltage.
That's fine thanks, charging voltages are not something I know much about

Another useful thread @Deaky thanks. After my recent issues with the PWM controller in my set up i have been looking at the Blue solar 75/10 MPPT controller. From your experience, is it easy to set up as I keep seeing mention of programming and algorythms or is it simply plug and play as I won't be using load control either?

Blue Solar MPPT is practically plug and play. 4 cables to connect. + and - to both panels and battery.

Solar app is addictive.....seeing how much yield you have achieved each day.

Another useful thread @Deaky thanks. After my recent issues with the PWM controller in my set up i have been looking at the Blue solar 75/10 MPPT controller. From your experience, is it easy to set up as I keep seeing mention of programming and algorythms or is it simply plug and play as I won't be using load control either?
Don't know how much it matters but I've read through @Deaky 's thread again and the Bluesolar unit he used is the 75/15 not the 75/10

Blue Solar MPPT is practically plug and play. 4 cables to connect. + and - to both panels and battery.

Solar app is addictive.....seeing how much yield you have achieved each day.
That would suck me in too, I can see me wanting to hook it up to a panel that would display it permanently rather bt to my phone :D I've got an old android tablet somewhere that might fit the bill

Don't know how much it matters but I've read through @Deaky 's thread again and the Bluesolar unit he used is the 75/15 not the 75/10
I used the 75/15 as that was the only one I could get on Amazon Prime at the time :rolleyes: It's irrelevant if you're not going to use the load function

There is no programing to do. Just set the battery voltage (12v/24v) then pick a charging preset that matches your battery. :thumbsup:

I used the 75/15 as that was the only one I could get on Amazon Prime at the time :rolleyes: It's irrelevant if you're not going to use the load function
Thanks, I wouldn't either but seeing as there's only a difference of £1 in price I may as well go for the 75/15 in case the future me needs it :thumbsup:

Back