Adding solar to existing set up?

@roadtripper While it's difficult to justify the cost of a chunky leisure set up there's always the reality that sometimes there isn't a hook up option available even when there are bogs on site let alone when proper off grid camping... this from a bloke who barely camps off tarmac. :whistle: :geek:

Oh absolutely, sometimes the ability to have 240v when there is no other way of getting it is priceless, it's why we spent heavily on the narrowboat fit out when it was all semi industrial grade stuff.

At the time there was a feeling that inverters were unwise at small scales, for a while we were looking at rotary converters that have now vanished - a beefy 12v DC motor coupled to a 240v AC generator. We also looked at a retrofit 240v alternator that was popular at the time, Kestrel AC I seem to recall. Supplied 240v (ish) whenever the engine was running.

I think the explosion in low voltage equipment has helped make 240v less of a requirement in recent years, plus the harmonisation USB charging has brought.

I just like running the numbers, I find it interesting when comparing options. Cost doesn't need justifying in particular, it's just another way to weight things up like dimensions and weight.

Last edited:
Back