Leisure power system, starting from scratch, I'm going round in circles.

Lee8210

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have an 2017 ex RAC van and have been looking at the leisure electrics side of it, it already has a split charging and a 100AH AGM battery but I would like to start from scratch with a lithium battery and I don't know if the split charge relays will be good enough.

I will be installing LED lighting, a 12v fridge, 12v TV, some USB sockets and a 240v socket that I would only use on a 240v hookup as I wouldn't need an inverter, I would like 200w solar to keep the batteries charged up and fridge running.

Am I right in thinking that I will need the following:

200w solar panels, I like the slim/ flexible one.
A 100AH lithium battery (I have looked at Fogstar)
AC-DC charger.
DC-DC charger
Solar to DC charger (Ihave looked at DCC50S 12V 50A DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT(New Version)
12v fuse box
240v hookup with a fusebox
I understand I will need cables etc.

I did look at sites that will sell you a full kit but it looked very expensive.
I also saw that some of these items can be combined for solar and DC charging.

I have looked round but seem to be going round in circles so if someone could recommend a basic setup that works I would really apricate it.
Thanks.

You can't use a split charge relay with a Lithium battery, so you are right to include a DC-DC charger in your list.

Definitely go with one manufacturer for your components - Victron is a popular brand (which we use). This means you can monitor them all from one App on your phone.

You don't have to get everything at once, but do build it with your end goal in mind.

My preference is individual components for each function. That way if it fails you have a backup.

Pete

You can't use a split charge relay with a Lithium battery, so you are right to include a DC-DC charger in your list.

Definitely go with one manufacturer for your components - Victron is a popular brand (which we use). This means you can monitor them all from one App on your phone.

You don't have to get everything at once, but do build it with your end goal in mind.

My preference is individual components for each function. That way if it fails you have a backup.

Pete
Thanks for the info, so would one manufacturer be the same for the battery?

The Renogy DCC50S is a good call, I have one. There are plenty of photos and build descriptions on here for you to look at.

I have an ABB female socket under my bonnet with an inline RCB which runs through the scuttle behind the veh battery and through an existing rubber grommet which brings the mains (and 16sqmm 12V DC-DC) into the cabin next to the passé side front wheel arch, where it can be routed easily under the cabin mat.
The DCC50S comes with a large input fuse in the kit. I’d recommend a Renogy BT sensor to allow you to monitor the DCC50S. I have a Victron mains battery charger, which I can connect either the vehicle or leisure battery using their blue quick connects. I have not permanently connected the Victron to the veg battery (which would allow both batteries to be charged, via the DCC50S) because I can lend the Victron to friends who may need it, but you could easily and permanently connect it up via the ABB connector. I like the mains coming in under the bonnet as I can connect the van up, and close the bonnet which then means when locked, no one can steal the extension cable.

I’d suggest you look at as many different setups as possible so you can make an informed choice yourself.

The Renogy DCC50S is a good call, I have one. There are plenty of photos and build descriptions on here for you to look at.

I have an ABB female socket under my bonnet with an inline RCB which runs through the scuttle behind the veh battery and through an existing rubber grommet which brings the mains (and 16sqmm 12V DC-DC) into the cabin next to the passé side front wheel arch, where it can be routed easily under the cabin mat.
The DCC50S comes with a large input fuse in the kit. I’d recommend a Renogy BT sensor to allow you to monitor the DCC50S. I have a Victron mains battery charger, which I can connect either the vehicle or leisure battery using their blue quick connects. I have not permanently connected the Victron to the veg battery (which would allow both batteries to be charged, via the DCC50S) because I can lend the Victron to friends who may need it, but you could easily and permanently connect it up via the ABB connector. I like the mains coming in under the bonnet as I can connect the van up, and close the bonnet which then means when locked, no one can steal the extension cable.

I’d suggest you look at as many different setups as possible so you can make an informed choice yourself.
Thanks for the info, I think the Renogy DCC50S is the one I want to go for and looked at getting the BT sensor too, I'm thinking of doing an under the drivers seat install, just looking at batteries, solar panels and ac chargers now.

I am happy with doing the 240v hookup part, it is everything else I haven't done before, I will be putting it under the bonnet too.

What is your use case?
For us, when on hols we usually go for a spin/trip at least every 2-3 days and the alternator gets the battery back to 100% by the time we park up again.
We have renogy 100aH battery and dcc30s which powers fridge, diesel heater and lights. We also have renogy 2000w inverter and use it with an Ikea induction hob on low settings(2-3).
With this use case we don't have a need for EHU or solar panels.
If I need to charge the batteries without running the van I use a ctek charger connected to the van battery. This charges the van battery directly and the lithium batteries through the dcc30s.

For our new van I have x2 renogy 100aH batteries so opted for the dcc50s. I'm going to do some trials and will only add solar if I need it.

What is your use case?
For us, when on hols we usually go for a spin/trip at least every 2-3 days and the alternator gets the battery back to 100% by the time we park up again.
We have renogy 100aH battery and dcc30s which powers fridge, diesel heater and lights. We also have renogy 2000w inverter and use it with an Ikea induction hob on low settings(2-3).
With this use case we don't have a need for EHU or solar panels.
If I need to charge the batteries without running the van I use a ctek charger connected to the van battery. This charges the van battery directly and the lithium batteries through the dcc30s.

For our new van I have x2 renogy 100aH batteries so opted for the dcc50s. I'm going to do some trials and will only add solar if I need it.
More or less the same as you, also will have a small 12v tv for rainy days, I did think about an induction hob but saw a few videos that said they wern't that good for van life, I like the idea of no gas though.

I couldn't get my head around it all and ended up using the website climbingvan.com who have an electric side who sort it all for you. They ask you your needs and then design a system for you and send you the wiring diagrams. I have been pleased with it so far. They also don't charge you for the service, I think they make their money through commission, they use Victron among others.

I couldn't get my head around it all and ended up using the website climbingvan.com who have an electric side who sort it all for you. They ask you your needs and then design a system for you and send you the wiring diagrams. I have been pleased with it so far. They also don't charge you for the service, I think they make their money through commission, they use Victron among others.
Looks like their website must have changed as it goes to some other site now.

Right, I think I have worked it out now:

Renogy 200w flexible solar panel
Renogu 12V 100Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery w/ Self-Heating Function
Renogy 50A 12V DC to DC In Vehicle Battery Charger W/ MPPT Solar Lithium + Bluetooth module.
12v 12 way fuse box and all cables etc.

I am going to add the EHU soon after.

Last edited:
Don’t forget there’s a potential 6% discount code that you can use. I used the one that Deaky has posted. It worked even on the one day sale prices.

Back