Off Grid help.

Mike Dean

Aviation
VIP Member
T6 Guru
It was never planned but yesterday we purchased an Opus Trailer camper.
Never thought I would own a trailer but it's fantastic build and ideal for our family needs.

It comes with a hook up and leisure battery setup, but I need to adapt this quickly as we camp off grid without hook up the majority of the time.
We want to run the heater and our other appliances for comfort as you can imagine.

I've attached the opus wiring diagram as I know this will help the techs of the forum support me.
Page 1 is the 12V set up.
Page 2 is the 240V set up. (Note the hook up is just illustrated as the battery box, however it does have a external socket)

My thoughts are to swap the leisure battery for a lithium or pair of lithium batteries and then the necessary inverter/wiring as required to enable 12/240v systems using the existing diagram.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• OPUS Wiring Diagrams.pdf
    311.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
It was never planned but yesterday we purchased an Opus Trailer camper.
Never thought I would own a trailer but it's fantastic build and ideal for our family needs.

It comes with a hook up and leisure battery setup, but I need to adapt this quickly as we camp off grid without hook up the majority of the time.
We want to run the heater and our other appliances for comfort as you can imagine.

I've attached the opus wiring diagram as I know this will help the techs of the forum support me.
Page 1 is the 12V set up.
Page 2 is the 240V set up. (Note the hook up is just illustrated as the battery box, however it does have a external socket)

My thoughts are to swap the leisure battery for a lithium or pair of lithium batteries and then the necessary inverter/wiring as required to enable 12/240v systems using the existing diagram.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
What’s the rating for the heater? Diagram looks like a 10A fuse in front of it, so probably fairly beefy. Heaters and batteries don’t really go well together.

100Ah 12V battery is 1.2kWH or 1.2kW heater for 1hour- battery full to completely empty.

Simon

What’s the rating for the heater? Diagram looks like a 10A fuse in front of it, so probably fairly beefy. Heaters and batteries don’t really go well together.

100Ah 12V battery is 1.2kWH or 1.2kW heater for 1hour- battery full to completely empty.

Simon

The front panel has an on/off switch and also a switch for setting half or full power (1kW/2kW).

The fridge is 3-way, so that will be fine on gas. It's a Dometic camping fridge, so should be manual selection, 12v when towing, then switch to gas on site.

The fridge is 3-way, so that will be fine on gas. It's a Dometic camping fridge, so should be manual selection, 12v when towing, then switch to gas on site.

Yeah that's right, i will run the fridge off Gas outside is the advise.
My idea would still remain to run a big lithium battery & solar even if it only allows the heater to blast for 30 mins on a cold evening off grid to take the nip off.

Last edited:
Yeah that right, i will run the fridge off Gas outside is the advise.
My idea would still remain to run a big lithium battery & solar even if it only allows the heater to blast for 30 mins on a cold evening off grid to take the nip off.
I’d be looking to fit a gas or diesel heater and save the battery for things that can only run on electricity. Alternatively, a £20 Aldi electric blanket will pull around 90W and make your battery go further.

Reactions: CAB
As said earlier a 1kw fan heater will draw near enough 90A at the battery via an inverter and empty it pretty quickly plus a 1kw heater will struggle to raise the temperature by much.

Back