AdBlue Issue after software update

480bhp

204 DSG SWB T6
T6 Pro
You may have read, that last Saturday while having the van serviced at VW, they installed a software update for the AdBlue on my Van.

Well this morning after covering a further 900 miles (busy week) the AdBlue 1400 mile message popped up on the display, now while this wouldn't normally be a concern, the fact the display was showing 3500 after the service last Saturday it now is.

Shortly after it was showing 1300 then 1200 and now after covering a further 200 miles on the drive home, its now showing 1000 miles, so roughly the AdBlue consumption has doubled.

I've called VW again, and the vans booked back in for further investigation, they also asked about my 8 complimentary AdBlue top ups (They never told me about these) so i'm eligible for these too, but when i queried if the excessive consumption would be on going as a result of the update, they couldn't give me an answer!

Has anyone else had this update, did your consumption increase?

Had an Adblue update about a year ago now after a warning light popped up - first drive after the update the range fluctuated a fair amount but levelled out shortly after. Consumption has been somewhat good ever since, only had one top up.
As for the 8 refills they should’ve given you a sheet of paper with these on to redeem.

Last edited:
Before update the AdBlue was not injected at all during DPF regeneration - which actually caused the NOx levels go very high - which eventually every now and then triggered fault P20EE 00 - Efficiency too Low.

Among other things the updated engine now uses AdBlue also during DPF regeneration - which definitely means more used now. A good thing is that at same time DPF regen thresholds were relieved a bit (approx. 15%) so time between regens is a bit longer.

The bottom line - yes, I got the update, yes, more AdBlue is used. However, I would wait a bit longer to see how things really are as the AdBlue counter is just an estimate, and probably just got upset by sudden increased consumption rate. Also cold weather seems to use some more AdBlue...

I would just top up the AdBlue to start over - and see how it goes... :thumbsup:

Before update the AdBlue was not injected at all during DPF regeneration - which actually caused the NOx levels go very high - which eventually every now and then triggered fault P20EE 00 - Efficiency too Low.

Among other things the updated engine now uses AdBlue also during DPF regeneration - which definitely means more used now. A good thing is that at same time DPF regen thresholds were relieved a bit (approx. 15%) so time between regens is a bit longer.

The bottom line - yes, I got the update, yes, more AdBlue is used. However, I would wait a bit longer to see how things really are as the AdBlue counter is just an estimate, and probably just got upset by sudden increased consumption rate. Also cold weather seems to use some more AdBlue...

I would just top up the AdBlue to start over - and see how it goes... :thumbsup:
That's really well explained, thank you. Had my vw software update 4 days ago after a serious of Nox EML displays. Will keep an eye on the Adblue range, read 5000 on leaving Vw.

Have you fully topped up the add blue afterwards? It made need the full level resetting?

You need to ensure you put in exactly what the display tells you. So if it says top up 10L and you only put in 5L it’ll confuse the system and throw out the levels.

As above, top it up to the level it’s asking for, turn on the ignition for 30 seconds, start the van and see how it goes after that.

Ideally the adblue sensor would have an actual float giving a much better indication of how much adblue is actually in the tank, but for some reason it doesn’t work like that.

Adblue tank on this generation of SCR system can be topped up with whatever volume of reductant(Adblue).
Engine can be ON or OFF it doesn't matter.

Adblue tank on this generation of SCR system can be topped up with whatever volume of reductant(Adblue).
Engine can be ON or OFF it doesn't matter.

I wasn’t aware of that, I’ve seen issues with vans on my fleet where the vans have been under filled and then caused us issues a few days later.

Has that always been the way on a T6 or only after the software update?

Does anyone know if the Adblue update applies to all T6 diesel vans?
Mine is a late 2017 and the warranty expired in Nov last year. I have not been able to get to a main dealer owing to distance and due to being in the vulnerable shielding category. My local independent did a service and Mot for me.
Should I ask VW if they will do the update once we can safely move about again or leave the update as I’ve not had any issues with the Adblue so far?

Mine is a late 2017 and the warranty expired in Nov last year. I have not been able to get to a main dealer owing to distance and due to being in the vulnerable shielding category. My local independent did a service and Mot for me.
Should I ask VW if they will do the update once we can safely move about again or leave the update as I’ve not had any issues with the Adblue so far?
I still run my factory engine software (MY2016 - November 2015) and no emissions related problems at all.
The main disadvantage (in my opinion obviously) of engine software update is increased Adblue consumption and thus reduced range.

Reactions: mmi
Yes, all T6 EU6 (=equipped with AdBlue) diesel. Apparently a few exceptions are some of the T6 built after update release 2019-20.

Is the update classed as an official recall then or do they just tell you when you have a service?

For M1 class (passenger carriers, VIN WV2...) it was an official recall - at least here in Finland. I'd expect it to be same in the UK.

For N1 class (basically VIN WV1....) the update has not been classified as mandatory but will be done if faults (especially P204F, P20EE) show up. So basically the decision is left to service center :rolleyes:

Is the update classed as an official recall then or do they just tell you when you have a service?
What engine do you have in your van?
I guess VW compensating with the 8 refills, based on the consumption slightly increasing, would imply a recall of sorts no?

They've written a non-fault implication clause into the adblue free refill voucher, although I doubt it would stand up in court

Back