ECU software update wipes settings / retrofit?

T6_FunBus

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Greetings.

I’ve had the van serviced and been told there is a software update, (something to do with AdBlue) that is outstanding, I was asked if I wanted them to update the ECU. I mentioned that I had retrofitted a mfsw and enabled some other functions like dial sweep, locking etc, and was told that the software would revert the van back to factory settings.

It took us a while to figure out the MFsW coding etc, and there are bits that have probably been tweaked that I can’t recall at the moment, so has anyone had this happen and the setting cleared when the software has been updated?

Is it a case of me firing up obd11, taking a bunch of screenshots and then having to buy a sub to change it all back? A little concerned as I’d hate to get mfsw errors and have to fight with that after a simple dealer update.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's just the ECU it should be fine unless the tech desires to reparameterise the whole van with ODIS if your having it mapped I wouldn't worry

The ECU is the engine control module, unless you've had an engine remap then you should be fine.

Thanks guys, its an official VW software update, I noticed my van seems to regen fairly often, and this update I believe increases adblue use but reduces regens?

P.S no engine remap yet, but does that mean if I did get a remap which I am planning in the future, that any VW software updates wiuld override it?

Edit, I assume its this update others have had?

Your be ok.

As above the SW update is for the engine ECU.

The other tweek are in the BCM or other

Thanks, on double checking there is one setting in the ECU though to advise of CCS being fitted, hopefully everything else is in the BCM as you say, I’ve told them to hold off on the update at the moment.

If you make them aware it has it when it goes in. If it doesn't work when it comes out that's VWs problem and they'll need to rectify it

If you make them aware it has it when it goes in. If it doesn't work when it comes out that's VWs problem and they'll need to rectify it
You’re making the assumption they’ll know how to reprogram it lol.

Back