A Pillar Trim interchangeability - T5.1 & T6 Cali

I am sure the cost is astronomical but the coverage is good.
View attachment 26005 View attachment 26006 View attachment 26007
Actually that is really good, better than the YouTube demo I saw, maybe I saw an older/newer one that didn’t meet as well at the mirror. The Remifronts are similar to that but concertina rather than roller. I remember seeing a set of Cali pillar trims on eBay for £600 a while back so I’m assuming list is above that.

In a fit of optimism I’d also ordered a roll of carbon fibre (the weave stuff not the vinyl wrap) as I thought I’d have a go if it turned up before I got to that stage. It didn’t and I now realise I’d have no chance of getting that on as I can’t imagine you can heat it and stretch it round curves. I’ll think of something else to do with it in the future.

Last edited:
I haven’t finished yet but I’ve found a photo I took of my T5 3yrs ago. Looks like the Cali blocks the bottom better and the Remi blocks the top better.
AB3B4968-A2BF-47D2-9AAA-5BC631D7CA8B.jpeg

Excellent work there @andys . That looks the dogs. :thumbsup:

Well what an absolute b'stard of a job! It's taken me pretty much 8hrs work today, on an off, with sweat pouring down me. Nothing whatsoever went to plan. I wasn't expecting it to be a plug and play as it's made for a (slightly) different vehicle, but the build up and retrim of the pillar covers was by far the easiest bit and almost every part of the blind mechanism had to be adapted in some way.

In the end I've got them fitted, though I ended up cutting the lower tubes too short and having to bodge it, so I'm going to have to either find some more or come up with a better way of mounting a lower rail. Also I forgot that the horizontal cover that fits over the top rod would need covering to match so I'm going to order a bit more vinyl and do that in situ as I couldn't face taking it out again.

The next problem then is that it won't close unless I unclip and remove the mirror first, which I can do but it leaves a gap that light can get through. Seeing the pic of my T5 that I posted reminded me that I didn't have a rear view mirror as there was no rear visibility, and I fitted a rear monitor instead, which was mounted to a bracket made from a Golf mirror with a longer stalk so it could stand proud. For some reason the blinds sit nearer to the screen in the T6, which causes that biggest problem - my dashcam won't fit in the position it was in the T5, in fact the only place it would fit would be where the mirror is. So I'm going to have to try and locate a longer mirror stalk, I think the T6 is even shorter than the T5 going by the photos. Then hopefully I can locate the dashcam directly behind the mirror and hope that the dotted area doesn't obscure the vision too much. The only alternative is to mount the dash cam at the bottom of the screen in the centre, but that would be a last resort. So I now need to see if I can scour through my ebay history and find what mirror stalk I used last time, I vaguely remember getting a Mk4 Golf one but I tried 2 or 3 before I found one that worked.

Anyway this is what they look like, excuse the poor lighting, I couldn't work outside in this heat. Also ignore the mess the garage is in, I'd like to say it's usually tidier than that, but it isn't.

IMG_4903.JPG

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_4901.JPG

Well ebay don't keep your sales history that long but a search of my email found a conversation with someone from the T5 forum and subsequent ordering of a Mk3 Golf mirror which seems to have ended the problem, so I've just bought another one for a tenner and hopefully that will resolve that problem.

The mk3 mirror arrived today and you can see why it solves the problem when you put it side by side with the T6 mirror
07D8E0BB-42F7-4164-BD38-46ED5F13ECBA.jpeg

In the end rather than just use the stalk, I used the whole mirror from the Golf as it's a bit narrower and more than covers the slightly restricted view through the rear window caused by my units.
93010629-C384-47B9-B3CD-46957D6543AC.jpeg
So that problem is solved, but there is no way the dashcam will fit anywhere at the top, so I fit it at the bottom of the screen or not at all. Hmm.

After briefly batting around the idea of dismantling the Thinkware to try and locate the lens and sensor on the windscreen and the rest remotely, I’ve come to my senses and I’m just going to mount it where it was before and remove it from its bracket whenever I close the blinds. It’s not ideal and maybe I’ll return to this when I’ve done everything else I can possibly think of, but otherwise life’s too short.

Bugger. They must have different cab trim panels between the Transporter and the California, as they are different sizes.

The top end of the a pillar panel is completely different to the existing one

IMG_20181106_161504.jpg

IMG_20181106_161559.jpg

Bummer :( I didn't know that. Saying that, I did have to trim away a bit of the headlining to fit the Remifront blinds, but I did on my old T5 that they were actually made for. I'm sure a bit of dremelling, trimming and sanding would have that fitting ok.

Bugger. They must have different cab trim panels between the Transporter and the California, as they are different sizes.

The top end of the a pillar panel is completely different to the existing one.

Have you got a poptop fitted? If so, I wonder if the Cali headlining piece would work in place of your Transporter headlining piece.

I still think they could be made to fit by trimming the tops. This is the difference between the standard T6 and the Remifront. There's a clear difference but a bit of shaving and they fit fine at the top.
img_4843-jpg.25274

img_4903-jpg.26050

I was just typing something similar Andys -
do they definitely not fit the headlining?

432476A1-2B48-4BD6-8127-E254EB94C169.jpeg

(sorry, I’m not near my van to check how the standard trim fits).

There seems to be an issue that the bulk of the panel with the blind behind it means it sticks out more, and the top I think is designed to sit in the headlining in a different way to accommodate this.

This means that even if trimmed it would still stick out.

***I think........

I had to cut into the headlining to fit mine, appreciate that's a one-way trip that you may not be keen on. Having said that, I kept the pieces of headlining I cut out and I reckon with a bit of glue and some scuffing up of the fibres it would make for a fairly invisible mend, should I take them out when I trade the van in.

I had to cut into the headlining to fit mine, appreciate that's a one-way trip that you may not be keen on. Having said that, I kept the pieces of headlining I cut out and I reckon with a bit of glue and some scuffing up of the fibres it would make for a fairly invisible mend, should I take them out when I trade the van in.

Braver man than me :-D

Back