7pin Or 13pin...

JasonW

VCDS User
T6 Legend
I'm looking into towbar electrics and have come across the 7pin or 13pin loom choice....

I plan on towing a small bike carrier with storage box as below.... (thanks for the idea @Dieseldonkey which I came across on here...)

I think I only need a 7pin loom for this, but is it wise or even possible to fit a 13pin loom, then use a 13pin to 7pin adaptor for this type of carrier... that way keeping future towing options open if ever I need to use the 13pin...?

20190515_165406.jpg

In short..if you plan on towing a caravan..you may as well go with a 13pin...for your carrier, a trailer or an older caravan the 7pin works fine. you can get a 13-7pin adaptor should you decide to go with the 13, but only need a 7.

i just installed a 7pin kit to my T6 (PF Jones dedicated kit, from ebay) which will work fine for a bike carrier or my trailer.

I have a 13 pin, even though I only ever tow a trailer on 7pin. Just makes it future-proof in case I need to tow a caravan or someone who has my van in the future needs to. A 13-7 adaptor costs peanuts.

Yep, definitely 13 pin.

The extra pins give additional functionality (assuming they are wired!) including reversing light. The carrier you show in the photo looks like its from the Atera Strada range and this is supplied with 13 pin as standard. this carrier also includes fog and reversing lamps.

Thanks for the replies, must say people are most helpful in here...

I've done some searching and PF Jones keeps popping up as a decent fitter and he's in my area....

He came back with the following response...

"yes we stock Westfalia detachable towbars for the VW t6 van as they are the oe fit towbar and we also stock the dedicated electrical kits that come with the wiring module and instructions. We can code the vehicle for you but the parts have to be fitted first then the vehicle has to be brought in to us for coding as it is done via diagnostics.

The price for the Westfalia detachable towbar is £200.40 inc vat, the price for the dedicated 7 pin electrics is £106.20 inc vat and the 13 pin dedicated kit is £127.64 inc vat. The price for us to code the vehicle is £48 inc vat and we can fit the bar and electrics for £200 inc coding and vat.

You may also require a replacement bumper beam, which we keep in stock that are £30 inc vat..."

So, he's £550ish for a complete job... with the 13pin electrics and additional bumper beam... Seems about right and will probably go there...

Thanks for the help...!

Thanks for the replies, must say people are most helpful in here...

I've done some searching and PF Jones keeps popping up as a decent fitter and he's in my area....

He came back with the following response...

"yes we stock Westfalia detachable towbars for the VW t6 van as they are the oe fit towbar and we also stock the dedicated electrical kits that come with the wiring module and instructions. We can code the vehicle for you but the parts have to be fitted first then the vehicle has to be brought in to us for coding as it is done via diagnostics.

The price for the Westfalia detachable towbar is £200.40 inc vat, the price for the dedicated 7 pin electrics is £106.20 inc vat and the 13 pin dedicated kit is £127.64 inc vat. The price for us to code the vehicle is £48 inc vat and we can fit the bar and electrics for £200 inc coding and vat.

You may also require a replacement bumper beam, which we keep in stock that are £30 inc vat..."

So, he's £550ish for a complete job... with the 13pin electrics and additional bumper beam... Seems about right and will probably go there...

Thanks for the help...!
Yep PF Jones are one of the most well known tow bar installers. I have a detachable Westfalia, and £550 is about the average cost. You definitely want it coded right as that will make the vehicles traction control and other systems work with the tow bar. I have a rear camera and reverse sensors so the fitter coded the van to have the camera work but not the sensors when the trailer is hitched up, otherwise the sensors would be going nuts every time you throw it in reverse.

Back