2023 French road trip.

Is that the Yelloh Village site at Port-en-Bessin by any chance? We are headed there in August, wife's family are in rural Normandy but we decided to revisit the coast and all of the D-Day beaches / sights this summer. We've also booked a premium pitch with private facilities. Seemed like a fine option!

Have camped in France for over 20 years as a family and always found Yelloh Village and Castels sites generally very good quality.
It's was indeed. Lovely site. Great staff. The new area with private bathrooms has been done very nice. Good location for all the ww2 history. Restaurant was a little expensive and not that great food wise but service top notch. Was pretty quiet when we were there so may be a completely different kettle of fish during the high season. Stayed on 3 yelloh villages, two were brilliant and one wasn't particularly good.

It's was indeed. Lovely site. Great staff. The new area with private bathrooms has been done very nice. Good location for all the ww2 history. Restaurant was a little expensive and not that great food wise but service top notch. Was pretty quiet when we were there so may be a completely different kettle of fish during the high season. Stayed on 3 yelloh villages, two were brilliant and one wasn't particularly good.

I thought so. Sounds good. Mrs interbear is very pleased with the private bathroom on the pitch, to avoid the nighttime or morning trudge to the toilet block :)

PS. I just invested in a toilet tent for less salubrious sites, for exactly the same reason!

Came back from France yesterday, had planned to return Monday but with the trouble flaring up decided to bale.

Agree that it's got dearer and campsites seem to be putting statics on a lot of touring pitches, water taps seemed virtually non existent.

1st site, Sandaya Anse Du Brick in Normandy right by the sea with pedestrian access to a great beach, swimming pools were very good but general areas looked tired and unloved. Staff were good and did their best to entertain Utah beach was well worth visiting.

2nd site Yelloh Domaine de Drancourt near St Valery Sur Somme was a lot bigger and greener, again putting statics anywhere they could and very few water taps. In the end I found a tap in a hole containing services for a yet to be installed static.

Bar was a bit of a joke with beer being served out of a keg machine 8.50 euros for a large leffe!

First French holiday since 2019 and have visited yearly since 2006, no doubt post covid campsites are looking to maximise revenue and profits.

Space in the van was a bit tight as or 6ft 7 19 year old decided he wanted to come and is too tall to sit in the back.

Absolutely love France, will be back in September, will not book in advance as its only the 2 of us and will move on if we don't like a site.

Saint Valery Sur Somme was lovely, it was quiet but can imagine it would be rammedin peak times.

20230627_150640.jpg

20230627_161235.jpg

20230629_123249.jpg

20230629_123312.jpg

20230629_121032.jpg

20230629_121728.jpg

So a few hints and tips for anyone venturing into France (or the eu) for the first time. Only our second trip so not experts by any means but just our observations.

* The French. Contrary to the public perception but the French are actually very nice people. Never had an issue with anyone.

* Toilets. A lot of sites don't have toilet seats fitted. Start doing squats a few weeks before travellingt to build up you leg/thigh muscles. Makes squatting so much easier **

* Public loos. Some Aires have very nice modern loos others are still the hole in the ground type. See above and be prepared. Mens urinals can be pretty much on open view.

* Campsite toilet/shower blocks. I'd say more are unisex than split into male/female. Mrs and daughter didn't find these particularly nice but guess that just how they do things. One of the reasons we paid extra for premium pitches with private bathrooms.

* Driving. Honestly if it's your first time don't worry. Roads are mainly very quiet away from larger towns/cities. Surprising how quickly you adapt to driving on the wrong side.

* Shop around for fuel. Prices vary dramatically, seen €0.40 difference between places. FYI Best we saw was €1.62.

* If your going to be using tolls get a tag. Not very expensive but so much easier and less stressful with one fitted. Lost count of the nunber of times other vehicles would fly past us only to be over taken at the toll booth by us. Also comes into its own if you don't have a passager.

* If your short on time use the toll roads. Super easy to move long distances in a short space of time.

* French driving standards are actually pretty good. However they will drive right up to your rear bumper on motorways. Don't get into road rage this is just how they do it.

* Take windscreen cleaner if travelling during summer. The amount of bugs that got baked onto the windscreen was ridiculous.

* Never had an issue with language as all sites spoke English.

* Don't trust your satnav for speed limits. Ours was updated before we left but a lot of villages are introducing reduced 30kph zones that were still showing as 50kph on the satnav.

* Drive 10khm under the speed limit. Speed camera warning devices are illegal in France.

* Take food with you. Supermarkets are expensive.

* Out of season book sites as you go. No real need to book weeks in advance.

* Taking pets can be expensive. Average around £200 per trip for a AHC. Plus any vaccinations required. Add around €45 for worming tablet in France.

* Take all EHU adapters with you. Most of the bigger sites are all standard blue round type as used in UK but have seen all sorts of different types so be prepared.

* Try and plan short distances between your stop overs. We did a lot of long runs between stops. We were doing 3-4hr journeys, add on stops for fuel, toilet breaks, supermarket top ups and it soon turned into 5hrs plus. Then you've got pitching up time and before you know it you've lost the best part of a day. Next time will plan for under an hour between sites once in a particularly region we're visiting.

* France is massive don't try and see it all in one trip.

* will update as I think of other things or ask if theres something you want to know and I'll try to answer.

Thanks.

** ;)

So a few hints and tips for anyone venturing into France (or the eu) for the first time. Only our second trip so not experts by any means but just our observations.

* The French. Contrary to the public perception but the French are actually very nice people. Never had an issue with anyone.

* Toilets. A lot of sites don't have toilet seats fitted. Start doing squats a few weeks before travellingt to build up you leg/thigh muscles. Makes squatting so much easier **

* Public loos. Some Aires have very nice modern loos others are still the hole in the ground type. See above and be prepared. Mens urinals can be pretty much on open view.

* Campsite toilet/shower blocks. I'd say more are unisex than split into male/female. Mrs and daughter didn't find these particularly nice but guess that just how they do things. One of the reasons we paid extra for premium pitches with private bathrooms.

* Driving. Honestly if it's your first time don't worry. Roads are mainly very quiet away from larger towns/cities. Surprising how quickly you adapt to driving on the wrong side.

* Shop around for fuel. Prices vary dramatically, seen €0.40 difference between places. FYI Best we saw was €1.62.

* If your going to be using tolls get a tag. Not very expensive but so much easier and less stressful with one fitted. Lost count of the nunber of times other vehicles would fly past us only to be over taken at the toll booth by us. Also comes into its own if you don't have a passager.

* If your short on time use the toll roads. Super easy to move long distances in a short space of time.

* French driving standards are actually pretty good. However they will drive right up to your rear bumper on motorways. Don't get into road rage this is just how they do it.

* Take windscreen cleaner if travelling during summer. The amount of bugs that got baked onto the windscreen was ridiculous.

* Don't trust your satnav for speed limits. Ours was updated before we left but a lot of villages are introducing reduced 30kph zones that were still showing as 50kph on the satnav.

* Drive 10khm under the speed limit. Speed camera warning devices are illegal in France.

* Taking pets can be expensive. Average around £200 per trip for a AHC. Plus any vaccinations required. Add around €45 for worming tablet in France.

* Take all EHU adapters with you. Most of the bigger sites are all standard blue round type as used in UK but have seen all sorts of different types so be prepared.

* Try and plan short distances between your stop overs. We did a lot of long runs between stops. We were doing 3-4hr journeys, add on stops for fuel, toilet breaks, supermarket top ups and it soon turned into 5hrs plus. Then you've got pitching up time and before you know it you've lost the best part of a day. Next time will plan for under an hour between sites once in a particularly region we're visiting.

* will update as I think of other things or ask if theres something you want to know and I'll try to answer.

Thanks.

** ;)
Sound advice, much the same as my experiences.
Brit’s struggle with their Victorian values and genitals, you have one or the other, nobody wants to look at it, get over it.

In my experience experience I would also take a short lead for the EHU which swaps the live and neutral. I always take a polarity tester and this year quite a few of the sites we visited were wired opposite to the UK.

Sound advice, much the same as my experiences.
Brit’s struggle with their Victorian values and genitals, you have one or the other, nobody wants to look at it, get over it.
My genitals are Elizabethan, thank you very much. ;)

Reactions: DXX

Thanks.

** ;)
Great info. Can you suggest a route planner that details toll charges? We're heading down to Hourtin Place (on coast, west of Bordeaux) in 2 weeks and would be useful to know so can make an informed choice on route.

Great info. Can you suggest a route planner that details toll charges? We're heading down to Hourtin Place (on coast, west of Bordeaux) in 2 weeks and would be useful to know so can make an informed choice on route.
Worth going via Bayeux - see the tapestry, cathedral, d-day landing sites, new British war memorial and then go on to Mont st Michael - it beautiful.

lovely vineyard near Bordeaux that lets campers stay for free.

Back