2023 French road trip.

True Romance

204 TDi DSG LWB
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So train is now booked for our second French road trip this June following the HUGE success of last year's adventure.

This time we'd like to head down to the Dordogne. Will have two weeks to get down and back up to Calais.

Looking for help and advice on the following;

* Recommendations on places to stop on the way down?
* Where to stay (or not to) in the Dordogne area?
* Best route to take? Happy to use tolls.
* Any great sites we should look at?

Thank you in advance.

Here’s a woodland campsite within walking distance of Sarlat-la-Caneda, normally I steer away from campsites but this one was the exception.
Sarlat has a wonderful old town, especially on market days.

Following the river Dordogne river won’t disappoint, from memory I think I picked up the river at Argentat-sur-Dordogne and finished in Bordeaux.
So many unique historical sites including Viking and Roman.
I go in late September / October when the climate is comfortable and the roads are empty, no queues, no screaming kids…..etc.
Bordeaux in my experience was a nightmare to park with a 2.15m headroom requirement, I won’t be going back there.

We stayed here for 6 nights, originally planned 3. Great base to explore surrounding area.

Sarlat for me too. I first went 30 yrs ago and few times since. Not been for a long time but hoping to go back again next year once the dog is old enough.

I camp in the Dordogne every June, driving down in two or 3 days via the tunnel. I recommend you avoid Paris if possible as you can’t take a van through the A86 tunnel and alternatives involve long traffic jams. Going via Rouen is maybe an hour longer but so much nicer it’s worth it. A good half(ish) way campsite is at Beaugency, next to the Loire river. Decent site and a pretty town. Then about 5 or 6 hours down to the Dordogne. My favourite site is Camping Maisonneuve at Castelnaud-la-Chapelle, a 15 minute drive from Sarlat but very close to the castles and Dordogne river itself. It has a small, ice cold, tributary running through the site which opens into a natural, swimmable lagoon which is my main reason for going, apart from its peaceful and stunning location. Plenty of other sites around that area though - depends what you like.

I camp in the Dordogne every June, driving down in two or 3 days via the tunnel. I recommend you avoid Paris if possible as you can’t take a van through the A86 tunnel and alternatives involve long traffic jams. Going via Rouen is maybe an hour longer but so much nicer it’s worth it. A good half(ish) way campsite is at Beaugency, next to the Loire river. Decent site and a pretty town. Then about 5 or 6 hours down to the Dordogne. My favourite site is Camping Maisonneuve at Castelnaud-la-Chapelle, a 15 minute drive from Sarlat but very close to the castles and Dordogne river itself. It has a small, ice cold, tributary running through the site which opens into a natural, swimmable lagoon which is my main reason for going, apart from its peaceful and stunning location. Plenty of other sites around that area though - depends what you like.
Perfect! Thank you for that. Definitely want to avoid Paris.

Last edited:
I also avoid Paris like the plague. It really is a PITA. One time, many years ago and luckily in a car with wife and kids in there all getting grumpy, my satnav was going mad trying to give us alternative shortcuts to avoid the traffic (there always seemed to be roadworks) I ignored some, accepted others. One I took, directed me off a slip road but that road immeadiatly split and I was on the wrong bit. My bit took me into a car park for a shopping mall which I had no choice but to enter. It cost me a few Euros to get back out again to continue my journey. Lol.

All other routes may look like they take longer, but in the real world might not and the stress will be considerably less.

Oh, and avoid the kerbs in Rouen.

Last edited:
You can go through the tunnel if your
1. Van is lowered.
2. Your a complete numpty.
3. You like pooing your pants for miles on end.
4. If your like me and did it in Feb by complete mistake..

IMG-20230411-WA0001.jpg

We spent a few nights here last here as we were travelling through France. We had a pitch right on the riverside.

View attachment 195459Tremalot by Nigel G, on Flickr

View attachment 195460Tremalot4 by Nigel G, on Flickr

View from our pitch

View attachment 195461Dordogne bridge by Nigel G, on Flickr

Thank you, much appreciated. That's another site to add to the list.

Maybe a little far from the beaches, but we stayed here one night after getting off the boat at Caen so maybe one to consider another time. It looked really nice but unfortunately it was off season so the bar and restaurant was closed. We intend going back when everything is open. It had a nice feel about the place.

Was heading down via Rouen. What's the issue with the kerbs then fella?

Thanks.
More of a joke comment at my own expense! I was travelling through there last October when I hit one that they used to divide a slip road from the road I was on (looking at my satnav). Hit it and burst a tyre!

I can also vouch for huttopia Sarlat great site and town, a few others on the way that are worth a look at are Camping Port de Limeuil on the riverside is very good ,nice bar and pool next to a nice village
As is Camping Citadel , with a sunken German ship to look at and on the way down the Dordogne
Lovely area of France

We are just back from france, sailed dublin to Cherbourg with Irish ferries, went down to Il de Re, Van never missed a beat, went down via Rennes & Nantes, big mistake as we were travelling on Good Friday, serious traffic , 5 hour journey turned into 7.5 hrs, we came back via Angers, Le Mans, Caen, longer but quicker and a lot less traffic

More of a joke comment at my own expense! I was travelling through there last October when I hit one that they used to divide a slip road from the road I was on (looking at my satnav). Hit it and burst a tyre!

Me too. They really can catch you out. I bounced mine off my side roll bar. Luckily just a scrape. In the dark and the wet ya just can't see them.

Back