2024 European road trip suggestions?

True Romance

204 TDi DSG LWB
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Ideas and suggestions for next European trip??

We are just starting to plan our 2024 European road trip now this years camping season is over for us.

We have 3 weeks (possibly 4) from May 2024. Looking for any ideas and suggestions of countries and places to visit. Thinking of possibly France through into Italy or France through into Spain. So what you guys recommend?

Starting and end point is probably going be Calais but from there onwards open to any suggestions. Do prefer smaller picturesque places with natural beauty rather than bigger towns/cities.

Over to you.....

Thank you.

picturesque places with natural beauty
I haven’t seen anything to match the South Tyrol and the Dolomites if you’re into scenic walking, mountain biking, scrambling, climbing etc. I prefer it without snow, quieter and easier to get around.
My favourite area in France is the Dordogne, it has a great climate and is unspoilt.

I haven’t seen anything to match the South Tyrol and the Dolomites if you’re into scenic walking, mountain biking, scrambling, climbing etc. I prefer it without snow, quieter and easier to get around.
My favourite area in France is the Dordogne, it has a great climate and is unspoilt.
The Door dog knee?
That's me sorted then as I want to stay near the Dune de Pilat and Bordeaux so sand dune and walled city break like @True Romance I prefer scenery to heaving crowds but really want to finally get over the channel to France and take in at least a few days at each destination rather than the John&Mandy mind numbing version with endless driving.

Since we got our van in 2021 we've got the ferry from Plymouth to Santander and explored a fair bit of Spain for three weeks in summer and this year we tagged in a bit of northern and central Portugal too.

Obviously the weather is good but sometimes could be too hot trying to sleep if you can't leave any doors open through the night. We tended to set off with an initial first night's stay booked and then just winged it from there, going wherever we fancied and finding accommodation on the way.

One thing that we've found in our last two trips is that the number of camper vans and motorhomes has greatly increased so trying to find site availability near the coast was difficult. If that's the kind of trip you fancy then best to get an idea of a route and book sites well in advance. It's usually not too bad inland if you're away from the more tourist-y areas so booking as you go is pretty easy.

Lots of great, picturesque places to visit throughout inland Spain. If you're into seeing natural wonders or unusual places of interest I highly recommend taking a look at Atlas Obscura for inspiration.

Ok guys just starting to put this trip together. Train all booked now. Have decided to head south via the Italian dolomites. Looking for any tips, best places, best campsites, best route into northern Italy and the dolomites.

Thank you.

I love the Swiss Alps, so would always suggest a route that way! Tuscany is very nice too, but we stayed in a farmhouse when we were there a few years ago, so can't really help on campsites.
We're heading East this year, so will miss the Alps unfortunately.

We stayed in the dolomites last summer,through France,Germany,Austria, I’d recommend palafavera campsite in the dolomites it was great,stunning location with a couple of refugios and chairlift right outside the gate,lago di coldai hike on the doorstep,Mtb routes (xc,trail) with gondola uplift in the town 10min drive away,the whole region gets very busy so I’d pre-book the campsite but also maybe not head for the most popular (Instagram) locations as the parking is limited and the climate is desert like

Have a gooden

Back