A month in France

blue32a

VIP Member
Heading to Newhaven today to catch the ferry to Dieppe for 4 weeks adventure roadtrip touring France in the camper. It’s me, my wife and our 4 year old son. No plans other than 1 week booked at a campsite at Lac Sanguinet south of Bordeaux.

Planning to just go with the flow and stay at Aires, France passion or campsites, the loose plan is to head across to the coast and then go south then back inland as a loop. Have got park4night and searchforsites apps. Expecting to do around 2000 miles for the trip.

It’s a 2019 T6 Camper conversion, DSG 150, with rear bike carrier, solar panel and wind out awning, so hook up not essential.

Hoping to do some beach time, some cycling and enjoy the French food and wine. Any on the go tips appreciated, will try and keep updated of how it goes….2F95C09B-AEA8-4C83-A355-AF4C624573BF.jpeg

Richard

We’ve just spent 5 days in our van at Lake Annecy, just west of the alps and it was incredible. Swimming in the lake, cycling, eating and a few drinks. The cycle network is fab and our two children (6 and 9) loved riding. It was very busy around the lake. We stayed in a fab campsite. Currently in Les Arcs in a chalet before heading to Dijon for a few days and then Paris before heading home via Chateau Gandspette, where we also stayed on our first night. The weather has been amazing for the entire trip so far except one day.

Heading to Newhaven today to catch the ferry to Dieppe for 4 weeks adventure roadtrip touring France in the camper. It’s me, my wife and our 4 year old son. No plans other than 1 week booked at a campsite at Lac Sanguinet south of Bordeaux.

Planning to just go with the flow and stay at Aires, France passion or campsites, the loose plan is to head across to the coast and then go south then back inland as a loop. Have got park4night and searchforsites apps. Expecting to do around 2000 miles for the trip.

It’s a 2019 T6 Camper conversion, DSG 150, with rear bike carrier, solar panel and wind out awning, so hook up not essential.

Hoping to do some beach time, some cycling and enjoy the French food and wine. Any on the go tips appreciated, will try and keep updated of how it goes….View attachment 167223

Richard
If you’re down at Bordeaux I would recommend spending a couple of days in Dordogne, it reallly is a stunning area. We are there camping for 2 weeks from Sat.

We’ve just spent 5 days in our van at Lake Annecy, just west of the alps and it was incredible. Swimming in the lake, cycling, eating and a few drinks. The cycle network is fab and our two children (6 and 9) loved riding. It was very busy around the lake. We stayed in a fab campsite. Currently in Les Arcs in a chalet before heading to Dijon for a few days and then Paris before heading home via Chateau Gandspette, where we also stayed on our first night. The weather has been amazing for the entire trip so far except one day.
Which campsite at Lake Annecy?

Which campsite at Lake Annecy?

The pitches are on the smaller size, but the pool is fab, as are the showers. There is a restaurant and bar on site. The cycle path is at the end on the site and it’s a flat 10km into Annecy. There is a plage less than 10 minutes away. If you are into road cycling there is also a HC climb up to Semnoz.

Have a lovely holiday, we came back from a week in France a couple of weeks ago via Dieppe - Newhaven. The Aircon inside was not coping well with the 35+ heat, and everyone was outside sat in the shade on the east side!

Mimizan is like a cornish surf village, crepes, fresh bread and chilled atmosphere. There is an aire near lighthouse. Or shoot over into Northern Spain scenery is awesome.
Just be wary of parking in Spain.

20220802_210501.jpg

Can confirm Newhaven to Dieppe was no bother, easy check in, nice ferry, we docked at 9pm and were on the open road at 9.30 although there was still traffic behind us. No covid checks. Fuel is about the same in euro as pounds back home so about 15% cheaper
Newhaven/Dieppe is our ferry of choice. Cheaper (even more so if you book through CCC). We often get the very early morning ferry, drive down the night before & sleep in the van in the terminal car park. No hassle, toilets & water available all night. It’s just a bit of a schlep from Newhaven to the motorway network.

@blue32a We're heading to France on Monday. It's a couple of years since we last been. We certainly embrace the French food where we can, however I can't remember what makes sense cost-wise to bring on the food front from UK compared to the supermarché prices. Any pointers gratefully received.

@blue32a We're heading to France on Monday. It's a couple of years since we last been. We certainly embrace the French food where we can, however I can't remember what makes sense cost-wise to bring on the food front from UK compared to the supermarché prices. Any pointers gratefully received.
I’d say everything is cheaper here, but we are buying French food, if there is anything specific bring it with you, get fresh bread daily for 1 euro baguette, we’ve found the restaurant fixed price menus amazing value and quality food too, have a great trip

French markets are extortionate, especially if you make eye contact with the cheese stall woman. Supermarkets are marginally cheaper & quite often exactly the same produce. You won’t cover the bottom of a supermarket trolley for under €50. We used Aldi & Lidl who are looked down on by the French, but are very good. As mentioned the, table d’hote menus are good value & probably cheaper than buying the ingredients & cooking it yourself. Intermarche has the cheapest diesel, but is the worst supermarket imho.

Wow sounds like such an amazing adventure (apart from crapping in the middle of the night into a bucket at the end of the bed where your partner has their head), pity I’m not adventurous and can’t go anywhere because the wife doesn’t want to leave our rescue cat :rolleyes:

4 weeks just wandering around without an itinerary is appealing though.

Wow sounds like such an amazing adventure (apart from crapping in the middle of the night into a bucket at the end of the bed where your partner has their head), pity I’m not adventurous and can’t go anywhere because the wife doesn’t want to leave our rescue cat :rolleyes:

4 weeks just wandering around without an itinerary is appealing though.
We’ve had our van for 5 years now. We do a 2month + summer trip, usually down to Portugal. And a 6 week winter skiing trip to the Alps. Plus weeks away in the UK in between. We’ve never shat in the van yet….

Absolutely go east to the Alps, some of the best scenery in the world, let alone France. Annecy, Talloise, Les Gets/Morzine, Chatel and Valmorel are highlights. Great biking, hiking and white water rafting. Been here for 2 months and it's only rained twice and been about 30 every day, but the higher you go the cooler it is at night. It will reset your expectations on stunning.

Reactions: .50
We're heading to France on Monday. It's a couple of years since we last been. We certainly embrace the French food where we can, however I can't remember what makes sense cost-wise to bring on the food front from UK compared to the supermarché prices.
Don’t forget you cannot take any meat or dairy from the UK into the EU. They don’t seem to be checking but it’s always a gamble.

Don't take anything. Just buy what you need at the first Supermarché.

Pete

Don’t forget you cannot take any meat or dairy from the UK into the EU. They don’t seem to be checking but it’s always a gamble.
We’ve taken meat & dairy products both ways, never been checked yet. Most of it is the usual media hysteria.

Back