2023 French road trip.

Yes, did this a few years ago. Should be fine as long as you are outside school hols.

Pete

You can go through the tunnel if your
1. Van is lowered.
2. Your a complete numpty.
3. You like pooing your pants for miles on end.
4. If your like me and did it in Feb by complete mistake..

View attachment 195463
we did that at 4am last summer, thought the height restriction was for a toll booth and in all fairness it went under but then spent the next however many miles paranoid I’d drive over anything thicker than a sheet of a4 paper and wedge the van. But hay ho made it out in one piece

We're here at the moment. Arrived in late July and drove down to the Loire Valley for my little brother's 50th and have completely winged it since - currently in Millau, which is one of my favourite places in France - before heading back to the shuttle on Sunday. We decided to run late/over night for a 4:30am crossing as the weather in Northern France wasn't looking great and to make the most of our time over here in the sunshine.

Our route so far - all 2900 miles of it - has been
Luche Pringe (Loire Valley)
Perpignan
Somewhere between Valencia & Barcelona on the coast for a few days
A beautiful campsite in the mountains half way across Spain
Over to mid Portugal for a few days - we had thought about staying for a while but it was freezing cold and the beaches were red flagged where we were and the south of Portugal appeared to be on fire :(
Back to Valencia for a few more days
Barcelona for a few days
Millau

As above we haven't really had a plan - heading where the weather looked the best - and haven't pre-booked anywhere. We've used pitch-up a few times others we've used google and just called to see if they have space. The only place we had any trouble finding anywhere was Portugal, although in the end we found a fantastic Municipal site for around €20 per night. In fact, it's been somewhere between €20 & €40 all the way, with Spain being the higher priced.

Currently sat here with the temps in the late 20s, a cold beer in hand and planning the next trip :cool:

Just popped over to France this morning. Currently at a Park4Nite Aires farm "The Laughing Goat" south west of Rouen. Cracking place on the farm with fresh farm produce and animals.
Heading to Le Man's tomorrow
Looking a little damp

Last edited:
Just popped over to France this morning. Currently at a Park4Nite Aires farm "The Laughing Goat" south east of Rouen. Cracking place on the farm with fresh farm produce and animals.
Heading to Le Man's tomorrow
Looking a little damp
Old town Le Mans is well worth a visit, history on view all the way back to Roman times and maybe beyond but all in use.

It's was indeed. Lovely site. Great staff. The new area with private bathrooms has been done very nice. Good location for all the ww2 history. Restaurant was a little expensive and not that great food wise but service top notch. Was pretty quiet when we were there so may be a completely different kettle of fish during the high season. Stayed on 3 yelloh villages, two were brilliant and one wasn't particularly good.

We’re at Yelloh Village Port’Land now. The private facilities on the premium pitches really are excellent - toilet, shower, sink plus a fridge (unexpected but very useful vs the small fridge in the van) and another sink for dishwashing. Immaculate condition too, this is like campervanning with a dash of glamping, perfect! The site overall is great - staff are friendly, bar/restaurant is good enough when needed and it’s superbly located for everything related to D-Day history. Would definitely recommend it and will also be seeking out other sites with these private facilities.

We’re at Yelloh Village Port’Land now. The private facilities on the premium pitches really are excellent - toilet, shower, sink plus a fridge (unexpected but very useful vs the small fridge in the van) and another sink for dishwashing. Immaculate condition too, this is like campervanning with a dash of glamping, perfect! The site overall is great - staff are friendly, bar/restaurant is good enough when needed and it’s superbly located for everything related to D-Day history. Would definitely recommend it and will also be seeking out other sites with these private facilities.
Yes once you experience the private bathrooms you do get use to it. How is busy is it there now?

Yes once you experience the private bathrooms you do get use to it. How is busy is it there now?

It’s busy, I’d say about 90% occupied. But it doesn’t seem busy, if that makes sense. It’s a good site, well run and maintained. Like most Yelloh Village sites we’ve experienced over the years actually.

I have just looked at the weather for Avignon, where we arrive on Sunday afternoon for 5 nights. Showing 40 degrees. Wife is going to be chuffed to bits she’s cooking in a tin can again this year, lol.

I have just looked at the weather for Avignon, where we arrive on Sunday afternoon for 5 nights. Showing 40 degrees. Wife is going to be chuffed to bits she’s cooking in a tin can again this year, lol.
TBH a lot of youtubers we follow that are currently in France the weather has look pretty shit so could be worse could be cooking in the cold and rain.

Going up Mont Ventoux? Bedoin and Malaucene on either side of it are lovely villages for a lunch stop.....

Going up Mont Ventoux? Bedoin and Malaucene on either side of it are lovely villages for a lunch stop.....
You know, we have made absolutely no plans at all, but thank you. We were toying with just setting up the van and not moving it for 5 nights, lol.

Ha ha on our way back up in la foret aizeny at the mo then up t20230816_170445.jpg20230816_170445.jpgo honfleur on Friday for the night, get planning for next year lol, France is great, been coming for like the last 12 years ish, oh and a piccy from bordaux yesterday

Back