2016 180 Bi turbo CFCA engine failure is the EGR valve corrosion the cause of the scored and worn out bores

I’d think long and hard about shelling out anymore money on the engine. You have a compression test report and an oil analysis report.
With the engine out a boroscope inspection of the cylinders will reveal the damage.
If the dealer won’t accept any of the findings then you won’t have spent too much money.

You could remove the glow plugs and use a small boroscope??

I looked at the short engine option but too many unknowns so any guarantee is not worth the paper it is written on any second-hand engine will probably have the same issue and is a ticking time bomb the engine replacement from VW should come with a new turbo EGR valve injectors and Dpf when I asked the Maine dealer about what they replaced they were not certain and gave me incorrect information.
All these components are damaged by the EGR cooler corrosion issue and if not replaced could lead to the failure of the replacement unit but even with a new replacement engine from VW with a 2-year warranty, I would immediately blanc off the EGR as they have not rectified the corrosion issue in the EGR cooler which is the Cause of premature failure and will, in the end, destroy your new engine.
There is speculation that the alloy particles on entering the combustion chamber get heated and turn into an aluminum oxide which is extremely abrasive all the elements exist for this to happen and if you put a very small amount into an engine combustion chamber it would destroy it but there is another possibility which is just as likely and I think more probable.
The same alloy particles enter the cylinder and melt due to the extreme temperature the molten alloy sticks to cylinder walls and disrupt the oil film leading to scored bores and piston and ring damage this is a well-known phenomenon when pistons start to melt due to injector faults if you look at images of the bores where this has occurred the images of the scoring are identical to the images published in regard to VW CFCA premature engine failure

I looked at the short engine option but too many unknowns so any guarantee is not worth the paper it is written on any second-hand engine will probably have the same issue and is a ticking time bomb the engine replacement from VW should come with a new turbo EGR valve injectors and Dpf when I asked the Maine dealer about what they replaced they were not certain and gave me incorrect information.
All these components are damaged by the EGR cooler corrosion issue and if not replaced could lead to the failure of the replacement unit but even with a new replacement engine from VW with a 2-year warranty, I would immediately blanc off the EGR as they have not rectified the corrosion issue in the EGR cooler which is the Cause of premature failure and will, in the end, destroy your new engine.
There is speculation that the alloy particles on entering the combustion chamber get heated and turn into an aluminum oxide which is extremely abrasive all the elements exist for this to happen and if you put a very small amount into an engine combustion chamber it would destroy it but there is another possibility which is just as likely and I think more probable.
The same alloy particles enter the cylinder and melt due to the extreme temperature the molten alloy sticks to cylinder walls and disrupt the oil film leading to scored bores and piston and ring damage this is a well-known phenomenon when pistons start to melt due to injector faults if you look at images of the bores where this has occurred the images of the scoring are identical to the images published in regard to VW CFCA premature engine failure
Thank you for that Venables. So the revised pierburg egr cooler that I bought from from Darksiide developments at Barnsley for £700 is worthless. There the ones that did the conpression test and said the engine was beyond repair and quoted me £11000 for the engine to be taken out and rebuilt in its origanal block with genuine VW parts and spec.

I have no affiliation to them, but would highly recommend before shelling out any more cash, that you speak to Tom Walker (or anyone) at Retro Resus. They deal with these engines week in week out and have nothing but good reviews (I also speak from first hand experience with the same problem).

For the price you mentioned above I would expect new engine, and new turbos. A fair way to travel, was 7 hours each way for me, but completely worth it.

I have no affiliation to them, but would highly recommend before shelling out any more cash, that you speak to Tom Walker (or anyone) at Retro Resus. They deal with these engines week in week out and have nothing but good reviews (I also speak from first hand experience with the same problem).

For the price you mentioned above I would expect new engine, and new turbos. A fair way to travel, was 7 hours each way for me, but completely worth it.

Thank you for that Venables. So the revised pierburg egr cooler that I bought from from Darksiide developments at Barnsley for £700 is worthless. There the ones that did the conpression test and said the engine was beyond repair and quoted me £11000 for the engine to be taken out and rebuilt in its origanal block with genuine VW parts and spec.
My new EGR was Pierburg £440 in my opinion putting a coating on the fins did not prevent the same corrosion experienced on all the earlier versions so the same problem will exist with the same result I would have just blanked it off and put it back but I wanted to cut it open to see how badly the D version corrosion was and how much of it my engine had ingested to destroy the bores leading to a destroyed engine.
You need a company to do the whole job and give you a guarantee of two years just buying a short engine and re-fitting your old damaged or worn parts to that is a recipe for disaster every one involved will give a different opinion as to what has gone wrong if you have a problem and no one will take responsibility.
There is nothing wrong with rebuilding the existing engine as long as you have one place to go to if you have a problem the buck stops with them.

My new EGR was Pierburg £440 in my opinion putting a coating on the fins did not prevent the same corrosion experienced on all the earlier versions so the same problem will exist with the same result I would have just blanked it off and put it back but I wanted to cut it open to see how badly the D version corrosion was and how much of it my engine had ingested to destroy the bores leading to a destroyed engine.
You need a company to do the whole job and give you a guarantee of two years just buying a short engine and re-fitting your old damaged or worn parts to that is a recipe for disaster every one involved will give a different opinion as to what has gone wrong if you have a problem and no one will take responsibility.
There is nothing wrong with rebuilding the existing engine as long as you have one place to go to if you have a problem the buck stops with them.
Yes your wright, the problem is I don't have 11k as I cashed a pension in to buy my supposedly dream van.

Yes your wright, the problem is I don't have 11k as I cashed a pension in to buy my supposedly dream van.
I'm hoping to get enough evidence together to prove the engine had the problem when I bought it as its only done just over 3k since I bought it on the 28th May this year.

I'm hoping to get enough evidence together to prove the engine had the problem when I bought it as its only done just over 3k since I bought it on the 28th May this year.
I suspect you will require a professional engineers report to stand any chance against the dealer in court so be prepared.

I'm sure it's on the dealer to prove it wasn't at fault if it's within 6 months of purchase (I did a rejection on a car a few years back) speak to Citizens advice they were fantastic when I was having my issues.

I'm sure it's on the dealer to prove it wasn't at fault if it's within 6 months of purchase (I did a rejection on a car a few years back) speak to Citizens advice they were fantastic when I was having my issues.
I sent the dealer the letters citizen's advice told me to send with a copy of the conpression test and oil annalersisse report and asked for a replacement engine and he said he was passing it on to his legal representative and that they would be in touch.

Back