20" wheels with BF Goodrich - kind help requested for the uninitiated

hoddo

Hello,

I acquired my van in early summer. It came with 20" wheels and some of the worse tires I've had the misfortune of using. They're 275/40/20.

I really like the look of the BF Goodrich and the closest match I can find to my existing size is 265/55r20. Is there and easy way to see if they would fit in my arch as they're clearly a little bigger in height. Picture attached, if that helps in any way.

I am a tire novice, just seeking some advice / help.

I am located in Cheshire, so if anyone can recommend a local business who is known to help with such matters that would also be of use.

Thanks, Hoddo

IMG_9790.jpg

Nice Van!
You can't fit bigger profile tyres to those wheels - they will scuff the arches and the speedo will be way out.
You'll need to do down to a 17 or 18" wheel to fit that profile tyre...

Thank you Gordon. Very helpful.

May have to look at a smaller wheel set up or just accept the wheels as is and enjoy the van - replacing the poor existing tires!

Thank you Gordon. Very helpful.

May have to look at a smaller wheel set up or just accept the wheels as is and enjoy the van - replacing the poor existing tires!
What tyre make and pressure are you currently running?
The website WillTheyFit helps with tyre sizing.

When you say poor - do you mean they grip poorly, are noisy or are uncomfortable? Seeing as yours is a camper conversion, what suspension set-up have you got fitted? What weight is the van - T32 / T30 / T28?

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Might even be a case of addressing the suspension if the problem is a generally crashy ride and not just a case of fitting quieter tyres to get rid of road noise.
Steve at CRS has worked a bit of voodoo magic for a lot of the forum members converting a wayward bouncy castle/ commercial vehicle to a more car like handling experience.

@CRS Performance pm the guy or post on the suspension part of the forum and he'll probably weigh in with suggestions anyway.
On my camper although I'm drawn to the butch look of 20" wheels somebody in conversation presented the analogy of Usain Bolt running in Dr Martens boots so I stuck with 18" and B14 suspension.

As has been said above a 265/40 or 275/35 is the largest you can go. If you want to go for a BFG you’ll have to drop to a 17 or 18” wheel to give you the clearance you want.

You can buy an all season 265/40 - we use the GY Eagle All season Sport- but it’s not a chunky tread, which I think ultimately is the look
You are after.

HTH

Hello,

I acquired my van in early summer. It came with 20" wheels and some of the worse tires I've had the misfortune of using. They're 275/40/20.

I really like the look of the BF Goodrich and the closest match I can find to my existing size is 265/55r20. Is there and easy way to see if they would fit in my arch as they're clearly a little bigger in height. Picture attached, if that helps in any way.

I am a tire novice, just seeking some advice / help.

I am located in Cheshire, so if anyone can recommend a local business who is known to help with such matters that would also be of use.

Thanks, Hoddo

View attachment 124425
Hi

Nice Van
What wheels are they I’m guessing there the 20”tridents in gloss
Have you had the suspensions altered for the fitting of them wheels.

Thanks.

Jim

Yep, 20" Tridents I believe. The van came with them.

The van has been lowered a little by Jobl as part of the sport package on the van.

Why do you ask if you don't mind?

Hi

I’m after a set of tridents from my local dealership looking at Matt black or gloss.
Also didn’t know what the complications maybe sticking them straight on a T30 Edition hopefully won’t rub. ?!
Yours gloss or Matt
Cheers

Jim.

Hi

I’m after a set of tridents from my local dealership looking at Matt black or gloss.
Also didn’t know what the complications maybe sticking them straight on a T30 Edition hopefully won’t rub. ?!
Yours gloss or Matt
Cheers

Jim.

I am by no means an expert (as you can see from the above) but I can say that my lowered van has had no issues what so ever with rubbing so would presume you'd be in good shape.

My wheels are matt - compliment the side bar well.

FYI I am planning to make my wheel change soon so these will be up for sale.

Thanks for your feed back.
But I will purchase from dealership he has cut me a decent deal.

Thanks.

Hello,

I finally got some nice swamper tyres for the van and am very happy.

I now have 3x tridents with part worn tyres on them. Could anyone help / advise on what these could be worth an where would be best to sell? They're in good condition, no curbing or damage.

The 4th wheel had a hairline crack in it so I am not selling that.

You can become a VIP member on here to advertise them for sale.

To be honest, I can't see them selling as a set of three. You may have tried to source a forth wheel, so you'll know how difficult it will be for someone else to. People generally want to buy a full set that they can fit tyres to and bolt on. You would be better off getting the cracked wheel repaired and selling the full set. Obviously that will take money out of your sale price, but at least you'll get something back as opposed to still having a pile of wheels gathering cobwebs in your garage for the unforeseeable.

Thank you. Good point.

I will either do that or sell them individually - they appear to be selling on eBay as singles. Can only assume people are looking for a spare or replacement for a cracked one.

Back