180 Hp Bi-turbo T6. ( Australian Spec).

GONA66

CARAVELLE
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Morning all, looking for advice please.
Having read previous stories of the 180 bhp model suffering from increased oil consumption etc,etc ,is the latest 2019 T6 180 hp model ,still an issue ? or is all sorted. I've contacted VW commercial and the person I spoke to seemed uncertain , but assured me the engine in question would be fine !! Obviously i'd like clarification if possible just to put my mind at ease before a potential purchase. cheers in advance.

Not sure what differences there are between EU and AUS engine lineups but in the UK early T6s (circa 2015/2016) came with the biturbo 180 engine and this is the same engine that has these issues
Most T6 came with the revised oil cooler but i do know of at least one T6 that drank its oil and started to consume itself, i think mid 2016 in the UK the engine lineup was revised to comply with the EU6 regs and the 180 was replaced with the 204 engine but think aus stuck with the older engines for longer (may still be using them i dont know ?)

Thanks for that pauly , as I havn't seen a UK spec 180 for sale in recent years I was thinking exactly the same ,hence the post. i'll await further posts to clarify or dismiss , but ultimately I may pass on this.

Thanks for that pauly , as I havn't seen a UK spec 180 for sale in recent years I was thinking exactly the same ,hence the post. i'll await further posts to clarify or dismiss , but ultimately I may pass on this.

I have a Euro 5 early T6 180 biturbo. As regards oils consumption I have covered about 12k miles in the last 11 months and the oil level has not dropped at any time in my ownership.

I have a Euro 5 early T6 180 biturbo. As regards oils consumption I have covered about 12k miles in the last 11 months and the oil level has not dropped at any time in my ownership.
Hi , thanks for the reply, if you don't mind me asking how many miles has your van covered in total ? ( chatting to a chap today he said VW changed the intercooler on the T6 180 ! ) I wasn't t even sure they had intercoolers ...;)

Last edited:
My 2016 Euro 5 180 has never had any oil added between oil changes, I’ve never seen the level reduce.
I had the same concerns when researching before buying.
I don’t have the emulsification in the filler neck like the Euro 6 engines.........before you all shout it’s normal.......it’s not!

My 2016 Euro 5 180 has never had any oil added between oil changes, I’ve never seen the level reduce.

What service intervals? My Euro6 204 uses almost exactly 1lt of oil per 10k, as does several others from memory.

Just had an oil change today after 10K+ miles, no drop on the dipstick.
I also have a very very old A4 TDI which never consumed any oil until it hit about 180K, now there’s a bit of ‘blow by’ which is caught in a trap.

Hi , thanks for the reply, if you don't mind me asking how many miles has your van covered in total ? ( chatting to a chap today he said VW changed the intercooler on the T6 180 ! ) I wasn't t even sure they had intercoolers ..

Its covered about 77k miles now. It was serviced in July (iirc) and I never topped up before that or since. And the oil level has not dropped at all.

I had the 180 Bi Turbo in my T5 Caravelle and had read up on the issue quite a bit, but I sold it at 80k miles and it wasn't using any excessive oil at that point.
It seemed to be mainly early 2010/11 models which had the problems and VW upgraded the EGR cooler after then.
A 'D' suffux and later are meant to be good on the cooler.
The early ones apparently started to disintegrate sending particles of aluminium into the engine bores, scratching the linings.
I asked about a compression test on mine (2010) but VW said they couldn't guarantee not snapping an injector.......

latest 2019 T6 180 hp model
This is interesting - had to take advantage of Google and indeed found still 180hp models in Australia.
An example ---> https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...tdi400-t6-swb-auto-my19/OAG-AD-17254023/?Cr=0
There under specifications/engine is stated engine type CFCA - the infamous one.
However, the EGR cooler susceptible to failure was replaced with an upgraded one late in 2015 (I've seen a NOV-2015 van with the upgraded EGR cooler (rev "D"), however a JUNE-2015 still with an older version).

Last edited:
I had the 180 Bi Turbo in my T5 Caravelle and had read up on the issue quite a bit, but I sold it at 80k miles and it wasn't using any excessive oil at that point.
It seemed to be mainly early 2010/11 models which had the problems and VW upgraded the EGR cooler after then.
A 'D' suffux and later are meant to be good on the cooler.
The early ones apparently started to disintegrate sending particles of aluminium into the engine bores, scratching the linings.
I asked about a compression test on mine (2010) but VW said they couldn't guarantee not snapping an injector.......

From what I remember there was corrosion in the aluminium EGR heat exchanger which created aluminium oxide, the very same substance that is used in many abrasive papers. Not surprisingly the cylinder bores / pistons were destroyed causing excessive oil consumption.

i noticed a few 180 bi-turbo for sale adverts stating New Engine Fitted !
so i never considered one , buy that's just my opinion

Morning all, looking for advice please.
Having read previous stories of the 180 bhp model suffering from increased oil consumption etc,etc ,is the latest 2019 T6 180 hp model ,still an issue ? or is all sorted.
The Engeneering Fault @the 180HP CFCA Engine AGR Cooler was solved from VW in mid 2015, so a 2019 180hp model will be probably OK.
I myself drive a compleete new 180HP CFCA engine from 2017 and all is ok.
But i only have 40000km since the engine swap.
The OIL issues started with 100000km.
But i did a oil analysis @20000km and all looks good

Interesting feedback from all you guys and much appreciated , so far i'm still sat on the fence ! :cautious:

Just an update for the record I've decided to purchase 201 bhp model . With no discredit to the 180 Bhp option. Many thanks for peoples input into my post.

Reactions: mmi
Hi all i also have t6 180bhp bi turbo CFCA engine it has the suffix 'C' on the EGR/cooler from may 2015.
the van has done only 41 k miles no smoke, no oil usage.
My concern is do I bite the bullet and replace EGR/Cooler for a new 'D' suffix? or change the oil every 5/6000 miles to try prevent the fault.
I dont have the facilities to do the work my self so it would be a hefty outlay to have it done.

I would appreciate any comments / advise on this

kind regards
Steve

Impossible to say, depends how risk adverse you are....

I had wrongly assumed all T6 vans would be the latest rev and only noticed mine was rev c when I had egr issues at 60k, no signs of any further issues, oil usage etc..

I would get a quote for it to be done at your next service, from an independent garage (prefer the dentist to any main dealer)
With a price, you can weigh it up

Is it possible to see the part number / revision on the EGR cooler without stripping the van?

Back