Engine oil usage 180PS Bi-TDi

Type in oil usage in search bar many a topic seems to be thirsty on bi turbos
180 cfca engines have well document issue with egr failure leading to high oil usage....search cfca and it should bring up lots of info

No noticeable oil consumption at all, have never added oil between annual oil changes.

Same for me too, no issues, no oil usage but as a precaution I now run egr blanks and an emulator to remove all doubt of the issue occurring.

Same for me too, no issues, no oil usage but as a precaution I now run egr blanks and an emulator to remove all doubt of the issue occurring.
I've bought a new egr cooler and having it fitted on Friday, but it will still be using oil as damage has already done.

I had a T5.1 180 bi-turbo. It was a work van & did plenty of miles. I never had to top up between services, AND it was on 20k extended service intervals.

I've bought a new egr cooler and having it fitted on Friday, but it will still be using oil as damage has already done.
No evidence of the damage on mine, it's super low mileage too. I'm happy I've caught it ahead of any problem. It uses no oil and never has. I've changed the oil more frequently than VW suggest as well. The damage only occurs if the cooler breaks down and stuffs aluminium into the bores.

I have to ask, you've spent a lot of money on a new EGR cooler knowing that you'll have to rebuild/replace the engine soon enough, why didn't you just blank and emulate the egr? Would have saved you a grand towards a new block.

No evidence of the damage on mine, it's super low mileage too. I'm happy I've caught it ahead of any problem. It uses no oil and never has. I've changed the oil more frequently than VW suggest as well. The damage only occurs if the cooler breaks down and stuffs aluminium into the bores.

I have to ask, you've spent a lot of money on a new EGR cooler knowing that you'll have to rebuild/replace the engine soon enough, why didn't you just blank and emulate the egr? Would have saved you a grand towards a new block.
Sorry, I've only had the van since 28th May this year, but after the conpression test and oil annersis test was conpleted I've decided not to fit it, but when I realised the van was using oil I decided to buy the reversed cooler egr I didn't realise the extent of the damage to the engine.

Sorry, I've only had the van since 28th May this year, but after the conpression test and oil annersis test was conpleted I've decided not to fit it, but when I realised the van was using oil I decided to buy the reversed cooler egr I didn't realise the extent of the damage to the engine.
Oh I see, sorry to hear that :( Good luck with getting it sorted.

Back