‘Its a Gas’ - whats the best bottle type?

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I posted this in the camping hints and tips but thought a separate thread would be better….

What is everyones thoughts on gas - the 4.5kg Calor would have been ideal but being phased out. The campingaz 907 refills are comparable to C500 cartridges price wise albeit they last longer between changes, are available in Europe and slightly better for the environment (production costs / waste canisters, not the actual burning of the fuel!). Patio gas which is propane is still available in smaller sizes.

When we convert we continue with the cadac and will mostly cook outside, so no need for ‘installed’ gas.

Looked at flogas but their small bottles are not pitched at camping?

We do suffer (even in summer) chilling of canisters and slower cook times as the butane transitions from a liquid to a gas so perhaps propane would be better and just keep a C500 on hand to brew inside?

The more I research the more I go round and round! I’ll probably just get a 907 and put up with the refill price and get SWMBO to cuddle the bottle when we cook!

907 works well for us with the Cadac, I'd never get my Mrs to cuddle it though! Never had an issue, mind you we don't go out when it's cold!

C500 cans defo freeze and get cold under use.

When using on the cadac 2 pro, with the duo twin can regulator, if the pressure drops to low..... I drop the cans in a bowl of warm water to help take the cold out of them.

That definitely gets a better flame going.

1693548942301.png

Last edited:
A variation on this theme might be gaslo refillable cylinders which use lpg. Expensive to fit but £3 ish to fill a 907 size bottle

Years of reenacting camping we've used the butane bayonet canisters and the ubiquitous briefcase type stoves they go in. Also used the same gas in our Dometic 3 way fridge so one can did the fridge for the day then we swapped it for a fresh and used the remaining for cooking.

Mind you in the camping trailer we do also have a welded steel firepit and spit, so it wasn't all gas...

You can get adaptors for the bayonet type to the screw type, use those to refill the 1.5" traction engine tank as it's cheaper to buy the butane by the case than the butane/propane mix Go Gas.

Even if we went full camper I can't honestly see us putting any fixed gas system in.

As you said, campingaz available everywhere.

We have switched to Leisuregaz. Same size but a tenner cheaper, and as I have a supplier close to me and can fit two bottles in my gas locker, made sense to me.

I’m using Cadac Duo for the hob in the van. With two spare bottles I get 2kg gas behind the wheelarch without it sticking into the load space, so I get much better flexibility of storage compared to a standard bottle. The hob is a Thetford, with a more powerful burner than the standard Dometic.

It was on ebay - guy was selling up and moving to Dubai so I think he’d priced everything to sell quickly. Also, he thought more was used and it was nearly empty.

Just so happened I was travelling to somewhere nearby too - the stars aligned on that purchase!

A forum member picked up an empty 907 (with the all important screw top) from Busfest for the grand sum of £5 GBP.
Just remember that you won't be able to exchange it for a full one, if the screw top is missing.

Back