Work van Wednesday

Two cheeky exterior restoration jobs at one of our best customers in Liverpool. These guys scan the whole of Europe hunting out the most desirable VW stuff available. They are well known in the Karmann world for finding some of the best barn finds in Europe that they buy, ship over here, get us to bring them back to their original condition, and then park up under covers in their mancave.

One of the guys pitched up in a low mileage Passat W8, one of only 2 W8's i've ever seen and that thing was a snarling beast as his daily:eek:
They have an Aladdin's cave of some of the rarest stuff i've ever seen, including a MK1 Passat with 6000 miles, and a MK2 Golf Syncro that was totally original, along with several other Karmann Motorhomes. An 80s kids heaven.

Oh and yep, that's a 4Motion T6.1 lurking in the background. Needless to say, these guys were all over my old T6, oh and I managed to talk the newer LT owner into a set of banded steels to replace those alloys that didn't suit the LT at all.

20200804_074633.jpg20200804_095603-COLLAGE.jpg

Well, look what's back on the drive.....
Hopefully VW can pull their respective fingers out and get mine fixed to my satisfaction at last.

IMG_0951.jpg

Just a quick question for DSG owners, do they all make loads of noise and nothing happens for 10 seconds or so when you're pulling away?
Sounds like a DAF Variomatic at junctions. :laugh:

That makes me cringe to see that load in there.... I know these are commercial vehicles, but ahhhh!
Don’t get me wrong.... I’m a builder, but I couldn’t put that in my van! Fair play to you @Lord Mfwic
They had to get to site and all the vans very out. I didn't enjoy doing it but sometimes, needs must.

Is that an ikea futon back there too @Lord Mfwic?

Yeah :thumbsup:

Hit a speedbump too hard and that lot will be all over the place
Let’s hope he strapped it down well!:rolleyes:
Gravity was the only thing holding it down. It was an interesting (nervous) 40 mile drive.:eek:

Then several trips dumping the spoil. See on the windscreen, collateral damage from parking, well loading the trailer, on double yellows. Traffic warden, or whatever they're called now, stood round the corner on which I was parked, wrote the ticket out and slapped it on the windscreen as we were loading wood in the back. I only saw him when he stood back to take a picture. I'm appealing (the ticket).

WVW chipper 2.jpg

Then several trips dumping the spoil. See on the windscreen, collateral damage from parking, well loading the trailer, on double yellows. Traffic warden, or whatever they're called now, stood round the corner on which I was parked, wrote the ticket out and slapped it on the windscreen as we were loading wood in the back. I only saw him when he stood back to take a picture. I'm appealing (the ticket).

View attachment 80269
Should’ve blasted him with the chipper.... by accident of course! :whistle:

View attachment 80269
I think sometimes having a typical builders van would avoid tickets.
How the wardens expect us to do our jobs sometimes really baffles me sometimes.

So here’s all photos I’ve taken today.
First 2 are just of the racking in general.
3rd photo is off the LED lights that have been routered out so that I don’t catch them when removing top boxes.
4th photo is of the racking with some boxes removed. They’re all done like this total of 72 (Possibly 62) I think it was 113mm holes were done.
5th is the base that holds the boxes in place. I used pocket screws in order to get a good fixing into the dividers with the 4 feet so the boxes hold them self in place. I also had to router a small lip on the front as the boxes clip together. (Didn’t realise this till I had it all in and wasn’t happy with the boxes lip sticking up.)
6th pocket screws.
7th photo of the holes.
8th and 9th, this is where I store my levels. 1200 and 600, they have stoppers in them so the levels won’t go any further in. Done this to keep them safe.
10th just the base of the box.
11th the box in place so you can see how it sits. The feet of the boxes are approx 11mm so I used 12mm ply which makes them almost flush.
12th so I’m a plumber and need to get 3m pipe in and can’t stand the noise of a roof rack. I cut a hole into the bulk head which allows me to easily slot 3m into the van.
13th 14th 15th kind of cheated! These are photos taken on a timer with the doors closed so you can see how bright it is on a night.
16th ladders and plastic pipe in. Nice and tidy!

Any other questions do let me know!
Some bits I would do different is, have some carpet or something along them lines where the wood touches the bulk head as it does make a bit of a squeaking noise.

View attachment 78718

View attachment 78719

View attachment 78720

View attachment 78721

View attachment 78722

View attachment 78723

View attachment 78724

View attachment 78725

View attachment 78726

View attachment 78727

View attachment 78728

View attachment 78729