Wolfrace Assassins - 18” or 20”?

Paul H

T6 Pro
I’ve got a 2 month old T6 with a VW 30mm suspension drop.

Looking to buy a set of Assassins but confused between 20” and 18”. I love the look of a no gap finish between top of tyre and arch but what’s the most realistically practical size? My standard set are 17” and just look too small.

The overall rolling radius of a 20” and 18” rim need to be the same in order to maintain the speedo accuracy. What you’ll find is the sidewall of the 18” tyre is deeper than the 20”.
Therefore the gap between the wheel and the wheel arch will be the same. The only thing that’ll change that is by lowering it.

Cheers Daveyb

Some vans arches with 20” ones look full and then I saw the 18” fitted on another and the arches looked filled. My 17” with a 30mm drop, the arches look far from full and yet all 3 should have the same circumference I guess.

And then it’s just down to ride quality.

What will equally fool the eye is how far out from the hub they sit. Generally speaking, wider rims (let’s not get into the offset ET rating right now because it’ll make your head spin), it makes the arch look much fuller because the outside edge of the wheel is in line with the edge of the wheel arch. On your standard 17” rims you can actually see the wheel arch behind the wheel so it optically alludes what you think you are seeing.

Cheers mate, I can understand that.

So 18” should look good and a better ride?

I have 18’s and find them perfectly adequate. If you remember anything from this forum, remember this, and don’t let any of these other size’ist barstewards convince you differently;
Inches don’t maketh man!!!!!
It’s what you do with them.....

Just saying :whistle:

F8FAA81A-5EAF-45E7-8D88-584170DCF725.jpeg

This is with Bilstein B14’s not quite on lowest drop, to give you an idea.

Reactions: Eli
That looks spot on. My B14’s are a bit down the line at moment, but I now feel quite comfortable to get the 18s.

Back