Downsize 20” for comfort

lukeadams

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi. I’m after some recommendations for my T32

I’m currently riding with 20” (275/40ZR20) on H&R 40mm springs and love the look, however, hate the ride with the current state of the roads.

I’m looking for recommendations to drop down to 18” but try and keep the look and style of the bigger wheel. I'm looking to keep the wheel arch - tyre gap the same so need some recommendations. I'm aiming towards 235/65 17" or 235/55 18". Thoughts?

IMG_2313.png

Last edited:
I went from 20" range Rover wheels with h&r springs down to 18" - I think 255 45 tyres and fitted the koni projekt coilovers shocks lowered about 40mm - amazing difference. This also on a t32. If you look through my posts I think there are pics

I've found its the suspension that causes a good amount of the 'poor ride quality'

We had 40mm H&R lowering springs on our t6, but recently replaced for STX coilovers, and the ride is MILES better..

Agreed with everyone’s comments so far. The issue with the ride comfort are the springs. Of course it will feel better on 17’s with more sidewall on the springs, but ultimately if you put some proper suspension on it - you can retain the height , and it will be night and day better to drive.

I've currently got a set of 20" alloys on the van with quite low profile tyres. There's no spare and trying to find a 20" one seems impossible. I was wondering what people's thoughts are on swapping the 20s for a smaller wheel (probably 18")? Would there be any benefit or penalty doing it? The ride is quite hard at the minute (especially with the amazing potholes near us) so I would have thought that there might be improved comfort.

I've currently got a set of 20" alloys on the van with quite low profile tyres. There's no spare and trying to find a 20" one seems impossible. I was wondering what people's thoughts are on swapping the 20s for a smaller wheel (probably 18")? Would there be any benefit or penalty doing it? The ride is quite hard at the minute (especially with the amazing potholes near us) so I would have thought that there might be improved comfort.
Are you running factory-spec suspension? As per earlier responses to the OP, you can significantly improve ride comfort without forfeiting your 20s by improving your suspension setup. Having said that, if you dropped wheel size AND improved your suspension setup, you'd get even more rise comfort.

As far as I'm aware the suspension is standard (the wheels were on when we bought the van).
If we changed the wheel size would it affect the accuracy of the speedo etc?

Back