Wheel upgrade / lowering options

vdubmarky

Hi everyone, I could do with some help. My T6 T28 is currently on factory 17" alloys with 235/55/17 tyres. You can see the gaps between the wheels & arches in the photos, 65mm on the rear & 100mm at the front. Ultimately id like to have some wolfrace wolfsburg Gloss Black alloys on the van but want the gaps to close up a bit, don't want them to look lost like my current wheels do.

I've had a good look through the forums to try and figure out what the best option is but I'm just confused. Im thinking 20" and leave lowering alone or 18" and look at lowering? I'm new to all this, very much appreciate any helpful advice and guidance you may have. Thanks.

IMG_20210626_125042.jpg

IMG_20210626_125104.jpg

Hi, welcome to the forum and welcome to the potential minefield of wheels and suspension.

Is your van a camper conversion, or carrying a lot of weight in the rear for any other reason? I ask because the rear is a lot lower than the front based on your photos and measurements, so whatever your decision, I would advise having that corrected to ensure the van drives the way it should.

You don't necessarily have to choose between 20s and standard height, or 18s and lowering. If you choose the correct suspension, you can comfortably run a 20" wheel and lower the van, whilst improving handling, looks and ride quality. There are so many options to help close those arch gaps correctly whilst also improving the ride and handling that it sometimes helps to discuss it over the phone or by DM.

If you would like some further details as to what might best suit your needs and some ideas on pricing, send me a DM or give me a call in the week using the details in the signature below. We can then discuss exactly what it is you want to achieve and exactly how best to achieve it.

Cheers,

Chris.

I have a brand new Caravelle factory suspension for sale that would lower your van 30mm then 17inch alloys would look fine

Hi, welcome to the forum and welcome to the potential minefield of wheels and suspension.

Is your van a camper conversion, or carrying a lot of weight in the rear for any other reason? I ask because the rear is a lot lower than the front based on your photos and measurements, so whatever your decision, I would advise having that corrected to ensure the van drives the way it should.

You don't necessarily have to choose between 20s and standard height, or 18s and lowering. If you choose the correct suspension, you can comfortably run a 20" wheel and lower the van, whilst improving handling, looks and ride quality. There are so many options to help close those arch gaps correctly whilst also improving the ride and handling that it sometimes helps to discuss it over the phone or by DM.

If you would like some further details as to what might best suit your needs and some ideas on pricing, send me a DM or give me a call in the week using the details in the signature below. We can then discuss exactly what it is you want to achieve and exactly how best to achieve it.

Cheers

Cheers,

Chris.
Thanks Chris, I'll give you a call in the week. Much appreciated

Hi , can anyone advise on the above please? I cant get my head around this ? So is the van set up with the same clearance between the wheel arches between the front and back before anything is added ? Then surely this changes depending on the people/ luggage, etc and where they are located in the van ?

I have the same problem with my van ( used for work) and it’s a T 28 :-(
The only way I feel you can keep it level with weight in is with coil overs and adjust the front accordingly

Cheers Tony, but if a keep stopping at Greggs then it will be needing constant attention ;) Just seems to be minefield . I cant make my mind up between 18"v20" with/without coil overs ?

Cheers Tony, but if a keep stopping at Greggs then it will be needing constant attention ;) Just seems to be minefield . I cant make my mind up between 18"v20" with/without coil overs ?
Wheels won’t address your issue! Give Chris at @The Van Cave a bell and he will point you in the right direction. He isn’t a million miles away from you either!!!

Hi , can anyone advise on the above please? I cant get my head around this ? So is the van set up with the same clearance between the wheel arches between the front and back before anything is added ? Then surely this changes depending on the people/ luggage, etc and where they are located in the van ?
When I set a van up it’s done according to the individual customers needs. I talk to my customers and understand how their van will be used for the majority of the time. If it’s going to be mostly empty or lightly loaded then it’s arch gaps consistent all round. This will mean that when heavily loaded the back will sit slightly lower than perfect, but as that is the minority of the time it’s not a problem.

If the van is often fully loaded as a work van then I’ll leave the rear slightly higher to allow for the usual load.

Even better, I’ll encourage my customer to arrive with whatever their normal load is and set the van up perfectly for that load. This avoids any estimates that might not be quite right.

It doesn’t matter if it’s coil overs or shocks and springs, the principle is the same.

The only system that I know of for these vans that will maintain a constant ride height regardless of varying load is a height based air suspension that will automatically compensate for additional load. It senses a change in height due to the change in load and adjusts the pressure in the air bags to compensate. We don’t fit these systems………yet.

Last edited:
Thought it helpful to post how the van in the thread looks now. There is a consistant load in it but sometimes I do load a bit more in but don't notice a massive difference. Chris at the van cave sorted this out for me, he chatted through how I wanted it to sit and got it spot on, for me the overall handling is a massive improvement on the standard setup from vw. Talk to Chris, he knows his stuff
IMG_20220205_161803.jpgIMG_20220205_161818.jpgIMG_20220205_161826.jpg

Started this as starter for 10 for all season Tyres, Thought it might be useful when looking at the various tyre options. It is biased around a 20" wheel on a T32 but could be easily modified for other options.

Tyre ManufacturerModelSizeRimLoadSpeedLoadRim PEfficiencyWetdB
VredersteinQuatrac Pro
245​
50​
103​
VXLTLCB
72​
PirelliScorpion Verde
245​
45​
103​
VXLRPTLCC
71​
MichelinCross Climate
245​
45​
103​
VXLTLCB
70​
GoodyearEagle Sport All Season
245​
50​
105​
VXLFPTLAC
71​
VredersteinQuatrac Pro
255​
50​
109​
YXLTLCB
72​
PirelliScorpion Verde
255​
55​
110​
YXLTLCB
72​
PirelliScorpion Verde
255​
55​
110​
XXLTLCB
72​
PirelliScorpion Verde
255​
55​
110​
YXLRPTLAB
69​
PirelliScorpion Verde NCS
255​
55​
110​
WXLRPTLAB
69​
MichelinCross Climate
265​
45​
108​
YXLTLCB
70​
VredersteinQuatrac 5
265​
45​
108​
WXLTLBC
72​
PirelliScorpion Verde
265​
45​
108​
WXLTLBB
70​
PirelliScorpion Verde
265​
45​
104​
VTLBB
72​
PirelliScorpion Verde
265​
50​
107​
VTLCB
71​
VredersteinQuatrac Pro
275​
40​
106​
YXLFPTLCB
73​

Thought it helpful to post how the van in the thread looks now. There is a consistant load in it but sometimes I do load a bit more in but don't notice a massive difference. Chris at the van cave sorted this out for me, he chatted through how I wanted it to sit and got it spot on, for me the overall handling is a massive improvement on the standard setup from vw. Talk to Chris, he knows his stuff
View attachment 144797View attachment 144798View attachment 144799

View attachment 144797View attachment 144798View attachment 144799
Looks brill. I’m having the exact same dilemm. 20” wheels with 255 40 or 35. Not sure easy on both. But can I ask with the coil overs how much did you lower the suspension by to achieve the look. Also does it rub at all. Many thanks steve

Back