Windscreen Washers - frozen?

PukkaT6

Pukka Insurance
T6 Legend
I know its freezing but has anyone experienced the drivers side washers not working?

Im wondering if me trying them while frozen has popped the pipe off. Cant see any water leaking under the bonnet though.

Mate, neither of mine have worked for days. I suspect it's just another feature of the Beast from the East.

That makes me feel better ha

The mad thing is I have concentrated -8 washer fluid so would expect both to work now its decent weather again lol

That makes me feel better ha

The mad thing is I have concentrated -8 washer fluid so would expect both to work now its decent weather again lol

I think @Pauly is putting together some heated washer jet kits. I'm tempted myself actually because I have a feeling these harsh winters are only going to get more common for us.

Mine work a treat at the moment, mind you it’s quite warm in North Wales, coldest morning so far has been -5c and they washers work straight away.

I saw electric wires on the washer nozzles .., can you explain how they work? they have an external temperature sensor and when they start the engine they heat up ..? thank you

My T6 hasn’t moved all week but I went out in the Landy yesterday and the jets were frozen for first time in 4 years. I poured some warm water over the jets which got them working again after which the antifreeze seemed to do its job for the rest of the day.

I think the antifreeze in the water left in the exposed nozzles evaporates off leaving water which then forms an ice plug in the end of the jets, hence a bit of warm water (or heated nozzles) solving.

Some moons ago there was a kit available that heated the feed pipes to the washer jets.
IIRC it took a feed from the coolant circuit through some piping coiled around the windscreen washer feed pipes.
Can't for the life of me remember who made the kit but shouldn't be too difficult to put something together.

I'd be interested in upgrading to heated, they seem to take an age to get working again once they freeze.

I'm actually a little confused about this subject on my T6. I have what looks like the wires that go to the jets, but mine don't heat up, and they never worked over the last week or so.
Is there any other way to confirm if mine are heated or not?

20180304_111917.jpg

Heated jets have a two wire plug attached to them and non heated ones don’t but you can see the second tube between bonnet and van so I would say you do have them, they should be standard with LED headlights

You can feel a minor amount of warmth on the jet but it’s best felt on the reverse side which faces into the bonnet
The jets are very easy to remove just lift the bonnet and pull the edge and the whole thing just clicks out, fire up the van for a minute or two first to allow them to warm up and you should be able to feel it but it is only slight don’t expect them to feel hot to the touch

Hmmm... wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to fill the washer fluid tank in November with high quality antifreeze washer fluid? ;)
Seems to work quite well...:cool:
2018-03-01 09.43.24-pieni.jpg

Heated jets have a two wire plug attached to them and non heated ones don’t but you can see the second tube between bonnet and van so I would say you do have them, they should be standard with LED headlights

You can feel a minor amount of warmth on the jet but it’s best felt on the reverse side which faces into the bonnet
The jets are very easy to remove just lift the bonnet and pull the edge and the whole thing just clicks out, fire up the van for a minute or two first to allow them to warm up and you should be able to feel it but it is only slight don’t expect them to feel hot to the touch

Nope. Not heating up at all.
The van is in for a service in a couple of weeks, but i'm a little reluctant to ask VW to investigate without looking myself first.

Nope. Not heating up at all.
The van is in for a service in a couple of weeks, but i'm a little reluctant to ask VW to investigate without looking myself first.
Same with mine, they were frozen up for three days even though I was driving about. When I lift the bonnet mine looks identical to your photo, I also have the LED headlamps.

Back