Windscreen & Rear Washer

Churchy

VIP Member
Hi all,

Can’t help feeling it’s linked to the recent cold weather - recently moved to Cumbria and didn’t boost the screenwash to cope with the recent lengthy cold spell!

Anyway headlight wash still works but the rear and front windscreen washer has stopped working. Assuming it’s the pump that’s failed or a pipe somewhere if the fluid froze and has popped or blown the pump.

Manual unclear as to what fuse controls them and only points towards a dealership visit - unsurprisingly.

Have checked the squirters and they are clear so can only assume it’s the pump, fuse or pipes have popped off!?

Any pointers to fuse ID or a diagram of where to locate the pipes would be greatly received! I’m aware the pump is located in passenger wheel arch which I guess involves wheel off to aid access but want to start with other easier possible causes first.

Thanks in advance
Churchy

Hi mate iirc there is only 1 pump for the whole system can you hear it when you try to use it? Loz did a fantastic fuse layout picture assuming your a T6 owner (you didn't state it originally). There's 2 fuses for the wash wipe system from memory.

If you search in downloads you should find the fuse layout

Thank you - can’t seem to download the fuse card onto an iPad - probably user error on my part!

Will try another computer.

theres two pumps, one does the headlight wash and the other does front and rear screen (it reverses polarity to switch between screens)

its a bit of a git to get at as its behind the bumper near the passenger foglight

theres two pumps, one does the headlight wash and the other does front and rear screen (it reverses polarity to switch between screens)

its a bit of a git to get at as its behind the bumper near the passenger foglight
Learn something new everyday

It makes sense that the washers have a separate pump as they only work with the headlights on.

In other VWs they can be chosen to operate on a range of 1-10 washes of the windscreen to save fluid with coding/adaptations. It's also possible to have them not squirt until the windscreen washer stalk has been held for 2 seconds. Again to save wax stripping screenwash from getting sprayed over your bonnet. I've not got them so can't confirm if this is doable on the vans.

if this is doable on the vans.
Unfortunately not on T6.
However, a kind of replacement for T6.

Thanks all for your info - job for after Christmas then is to locate the right pump of the two and see if it’s kaput - if anyone has an idiots guide on how to access it I’d be very grateful!

Fuses all seem to be ok so guess it’s the pump - if anyone has a part number I’d be very grateful. Ideally like to get the old out and new in in one attempt rather than attack the job twice! 2017 T6 4motion.

Hi all,

Can’t help feeling it’s linked to the recent cold weather - recently moved to Cumbria and didn’t boost the screenwash to cope with the recent lengthy cold spell!

Anyway headlight wash still works but the rear and front windscreen washer has stopped working. Assuming it’s the pump that’s failed or a pipe somewhere if the fluid froze and has popped or blown the pump.

Manual unclear as to what fuse controls them and only points towards a dealership visit - unsurprisingly.

Have checked the squirters and they are clear so can only assume it’s the pump, fuse or pipes have popped off!?

Any pointers to fuse ID or a diagram of where to locate the pipes would be greatly received! I’m aware the pump is located in passenger wheel arch which I guess involves wheel off to aid access but want to start with other easier possible causes first.

Thanks in advance
Churchy
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Churchy
Also worth checking pipe where it bends with n/s bonnet hinge - common place for it to burst.

I've just diagnosed a buddies non working washer pump, and traced it to a blown/faulty pump.

The 25amp fuse had blown, but after replacing the fuse, the washer motor was still dead.

Next tested voltage across the plug that feeds the motor, and odly it was reading +12v and then -12v (I understand now from Paulys info above that it reverses tge polarity for front and rear washers).

I am assuming that when the motor gave out, it took the fuse with it, and is now dead and not causing the new fuse to blow

We have ordered a new pump, and I will update this thread with pictures when I fit the new pump

Back