Window Blinds

They don't flop around as the bar is under tension , like most things in these vans there is always a compromise to be made .

On the picture from Dave that I posted, there is no centre string, only two outers and the bottom has a bar on either side of the wiper motor cutout that jointly slide up or down the string on either side thus getting around the wiper motor problem.

We have fitted many like that (by that I mean shaped blinds) in conservatory roofs etc and the operate on the two outer tention strings. As @VanBlanc says the blind will not open further than the wiper motor and then you have to add the stack on top of that resulting in more of the window being covered but as I see it there is not much more of an option for pleated blinds.

Rob, Sorry to harp on it and thanks for the explanation, but why not just open it from the bottom to the top which is what I thought Dave was indicating in his reply.

Rob, Sorry to harp on it and thanks for the explanation, but why not just open it from the bottom to the top which is what I thought Dave was indicating in his reply.

The bottom of the window is wider than the top so it always as to open from the smallest place first which unfortunatly in this case is the top.

Imagine it an a more extreme circumstance ie a triangle (the principle is just the same). It would be impossible to close the widest section to the triangles point.

Last edited:
Ah-Ha, Now I understand what the problem is, I thought the window was rectangular and thus did not matter if it went up or down. So, if I have the blind made rectangular (with the cutout for the motor, and like Vanshades have an outer edge covering to hide the gap that increases down/up the sides, can I then open it from the bottom being careful to raise each side bar to ensure it raises evenly.

VW Camper rear blind.jpg

Last edited:
Ar ha, Now I understand what the problem is, I thought the window was rectangular and thus did not matter if it went up or down. So, if I have the blind made rectangular (with the cutout for the motor, and like Vanshades have an outer edge covering to hide the gap that increases down/up the sides, can I

In theory yes but the biggest problem will be is if it was rectangular it would not cover the bottom corners of the glass because there is no addition room at the top to make it wider to compensate.

You lose more light / glass with the Vanshades things than you would living with the bits either side of the wiper motor (that you cant see anyway behind the seat).

We are trying to get rid of curtains because of how much light they loose in the back. Every version of cassette / surround we have seen takes us back to this problem. So in the end I think we will be going minimalist. There will be some light leakage but then we are going for a Cali roof which lets loads of light through.

Thanks @swellshades Dave thats what I wanted to see. I am erring my towards a set for our Kombi conversion.

The strings will hardly be noticeable, no more than the heater wires, and the amount resting on the wiper motor won't be visible behind the rear seat. However how easy and practical are they to remove regularly to clean behind? Not just the glass but because of the way they are installed all the deadbugs ;)

The main difference between T5 & T6 tailgate is that the the bottom corners are square.

Will try and pay Dave a visit next week to see what it is all about. Mrs VB needs to see colours before I do anything :inlove:

Hi All, Have been away for several months and now getting back into working on my van conversion. Has anyone got any further with the blinds and seen them in the flesh or fitted to the OEM slideout window? I am getting to the point where I should be thinking about ordering a set for my LWB T6.

Garry

I have been advised that Vanshades have now designed a new pod to suit the OEM opening window on the sliding door and also have a pod now for the rear lift hatch. Anyone yet seen them. I now need to proceed with my shades and am going to fit them to my LWB T6.

Back