Will Coronavirus Close Campsites?

Just thinking about where we can go tomorrow that will be away from everyone. Where we live the wild spots are busy at the best of times. We need to impress on the kids that they need to distance themselves from their friend next week so can’t go anywhere there’s anybody!

There is a shop assistant from the gift shop in drumnadrochit now seriously ill in hospital as she has underlying health issues. I had customers in today up on holiday from central scotland moaning that they were having to cut their trip short because the hotel in drumnadrochit was closing. There really are some stupid, selfish individuals around.

Thank you for the link @cgtmiles . Just forwarded it to my health and safety rep. Explains why I'll not be anywhere near the crew room at work. When they need me, they can phone. I'll be in the car park, in a van.

Thank you for the link @cgtmiles . Just forwarded it to my health and safety rep. Explains why I'll not be anywhere near the crew room at work. When they need me, they can phone. I'll be in the car park, in a van.
Not sure if that’s taking the p1ss but you shouldn’t be anywhere near the crew room. The crew room should be closed, if your work relies on a crew room to operate then it shouldn’t operate or more correctly it needs to find a new way to operate, that’s exactly the point. Your van is your environment, which is the way to go (extra time to enjoy your van!) just make 100% sure you are not bringing anything into the van that you don’t want to bring home!

Last edited:
Perhaps people should take the guidance seriously instead of making their own rules up.......

If you lived on my side of Leicester, you'd think there was nothing wrong. I can see quite a bit from my house and the road behind us has been as busy as normal. The park behind us yesterday was rammed with kids, parents and believe it or not, the icecream van.
My own street is full of older people and all of them are out and about, including getting visitors constantly. Life is continuing as normal in Leicester.

Maybe I'm watching too much news, but none of my family are going anywhere unless going to work.
My wife is NHS staff, so aloud priority at Tesco this morning, but she has no intention of shopping for the sake of shopping. We have enough food for now.
Personally I'm taking this all extremely seriously and think others should too, instead of the constant crap people keep spouting across social media about government conspiracies and this not being any worse than a common cold.
My 13 year old daughters school is closed indefinitely, my 18 year old daughter was going to university in September, my business has almost stalled in less than a week, my wife has to mix front line at work with sparse PPE equipment and people actually stealing any hand sanitizer that's not screwed to the wall. This sh-t is real and the ripple of this will scar most of us for the rest of our lives.

Maybe someone should use the prediction models to work out how much longer in weeks, each day ignoring the advice adds on to this pandemic before we can get back to some sort of normality, but I suspect that would have little effect either.

Rant over:mad:

Totally agree. I’ve forwarded this already but will put it on here too. If we don’t voluntarily isolate it will be inforced. No one will be allowed to go outside.

Please listen

Not sure if that’s taking the p1ss but you shouldn’t be anywhere near the crew room. The crew room should be closed, if your work relies on a crew room to operate then it shouldn’t operate or more correctly it needs to find a new way to operate, that’s exactly the point. Your van is your environment, which is the way to go (extra time to enjoy your van!) just make 100% sure you are not bringing anything into the van that you don’t want to bring home!

Post was most definitely not taking the piss @cgtmiles . Measures had already been taken at my work to stop front line staff coming into contact with the public. But proximaty to other staff needed addressed. Thankfully the response I got back from the rep, looks like they've sorted the issue.

It was my wife's birthday yesterday, I took a day off work (I usually work every other Saturday and Sunday) to spend with her and the kids and we originally planned to be at home and have a lazy day together. Over breakfast we made a different choice, we were going to pop to a local coastal village for the afternoon. We chatted a bit about it, should we be doing that at this time and what were the risks? In the end we justified it to ourselves and decided to go out. We said we would take a picnic, eat it in the van, have a stroll along the beach, climb the rocks and small cliffs with the kids and then head home. We said we wouldn't use any food/drink outlets if any were open and we would keep our distance from anyone else who had decided to do the same.

So, that's exactly what we did, exactly what we did. We had a lovely time, the sun was shining, there was even some warmth in it, it felt like a normal spring day.

When we got home we unpacked our stuff and got some tea ready. Once we sat down to tea, we looked at each other and started discussing the day. That conversation soon turned to us asking questions like; Should we really have gone out today? Was it the right thing to do? After not very long at all we had both come to the conclusion that no, we shouldn't have gone and no, it wasn't the right thing to do.

In fact, we're both pretty disappointed with ourselves. We knew before we went that we shouldn't, hence the self justification as we made the decision to do what we wanted and not what was the right thing to do. You always learn more from your mistakes than successes though, so other than me coming to work, we'll be staying at home until official advice says otherwise and we'll hope that we haven't assisted the spread of the virus. This post will no doubt offer us up to some criticism, but we're well aware that we should have stayed at home and as I say, we won't be going out again, until the advice changes.

I'm now sat at work and some thoughts have come into my head. I'm the only one in these offices on a weekend, but come tomorrow there'll be 30 or so people in here and about the same in the office above. Some are working from home so that those left here can distance themselves from each other, which makes some sense. However, everyone uses the same 2 kitchen areas to make tea/coffee, breakfast, lunch etc. etc. and everyone uses the same cubicles and urinals to go to the toilet and same sinks, taps and soap dispensers to wash their hands. We all use the same handles to open doors, the same clocking machines to clock in and out and so on, so there's no way you can stop the spread if someone here is carrying the virus, so why are we open at all?

Post was most definitely not taking the piss @cgtmiles . Measures had already been taken at my work to stop front line staff coming into contact with the public. But proximaty to other staff needed addressed. Thankfully the response I got back from the rep, looks like they've sorted the issue.
Sorry to have questioned your response (I struggle with my reading sometimes;)), I hope it didn’t cause any offence but it is good to hear that your employer is being so responsive

I think if you can go out, and be pretty certain of not meeting anyone, then just do it. The issue is that there aren’t many places you can do that.
I am contemplating a solo bike ride today, off road. I never see anyone when I normally go out (we live in a rural area), so I can socially distance on the bike, or do it at home.

Pete

I spent a lot of yesterday deliberating over a problem. My van has started flashing that it needs a service in 48 days or 1000 miles so I booked it in (in April) in local independent VW garage. Now I’m wondering if this really is the right thing to do.
Part of the problem is the van is my daily drive and so I need it to get to work, which under the government guidelines is staying open.
I am thinking about keys, steering wheel and all the ways the virus could be transmitted and how to minimise the risk.

I've just been called into a site we are working at because of some CCTV activity that was picked up last night, and I couldn't believe my eyes. I've driven past a Tesco carpark with a Sunday car boot market in full swing.......... am I missing the point??:unsure:o_O:mad:

Sorry to have questioned your response (I struggle with my reading sometimes;)), I hope it didn’t cause any offence but it is good to hear that your employer is being so responsive

Not at all. Sometimes the written word can be interpreted in different ways. :thumbsup:

There is a shop assistant from the gift shop in drumnadrochit now seriously ill in hospital as she has underlying health issues. I had customers in today up on holiday from central scotland moaning that they were having to cut their trip short because the hotel in drumnadrochit was closing. There really are some stupid, selfish individuals around.

Also, folk are being told to stay away from the Highlands by one of the local MSP's.
Plus, Laxdale holiday park on the Isle of Lewis have informed me that they are closing till the 1st of June at the earliest.

It is still ok to go out if we can maintain social distancing though right?

I was thinking of going for a solo ride today and had hoped to take the family out in the van. We agreed last night that we would go for a drive and only stop if no one else was around. Looking at the weather I’m guessing it’s going to be busy regardless of the advice so it will likely just be a Sunday drive with no stops. Surely it’s important to get out when you can (while you can) for your health, physical and mental.

These are strange times though and what was considered ok on Thursday was not on Friday and what was ok Friday was not yesterday.

When this thread started I was sure it would be ok to go away at Easter and the only obstacle would be whether the sites were open but so much has changed since then it’s difficult to understand what I was thinking when writing the posts only a week ago.

I think the problem is interpretation. Social distancing and self isolation are two different things, for two different scenarios. Ironically in this clip, the sign under the chancellor states 'stay at home'. Yet at 26 minutes, the woman in the press conference, explains about being able to go out, but keeping a distance.

We're funny creatures us humans. Society will shun those being parked up in a camper van. Away from anyone else and completely isolated and eh, not at a ski centre. But as soon as you get out and go for a walk with a dog on a lead, that will be deemed ok.

The government either has a lock down, or it doesn't. Society in general will make anything in between, a mess.

Look at the rest of europe. British lock down is inevitable, and soon I suspect.

Last edited:
Looks like there is/will be a backlash against campervans so mines staying in the lock up. Last thing I want now is some low life keying the side of my van.

I hate to say it but I went in our local Wickes twice and Toolstation once yesterday, Wickes in particular was full of weekend warriors stocking up on fencing in particular obviously looking for a project to fill the hours during the week when they're self isolating.

I have to admit to being a little bit cynical about this current pandemic as there's not going to be a definitive all clear signal as the virus goes into decline, we're supposed to be looking forward to a combination of warm dry weather and herd immunity to kill off the outbreak here however there's now lockdown through Covid 19 in Australia and a population density way lower than ours... even the term herd immunity implies that we'll all catch this thing in some form, self isolating or not.

Back