Will Coronavirus Close Campsites?

True Romance

204 TDi DSG LWB
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So our summer USA road looks to be out the window now. Have been looking at may be a Devon/Cornwall tour in the van but the way things are going do you think we will see the larger campsites closing up shop?
How many are now still thinking of touring or cancelling bookings instead?

Your thoughts??

Last edited:
We have a week booked in France in June which coincides with Le Mans 24 hours. Just the ferry booked so far, and entrance tickets for Le Mans.
If Le Mans gets cancelled, then we will still go, but we are wary about campsite availability.

Just have to watch this space I guess. I wouldn't book anything abroad at this point, but would book a campsite in the UK.

Pete

I was just reading a thread over on Caravantalk about this and it seems that most people are cancelling their plans:(

We would normally be buying our tunnel frequent traveller by now, and planning our trips. We've already booked pitches in Italy, South of France and Austria at different times of the year, but no idea what to do now, although we've paid our deposits. We were also meant to be going to Switzerland in 2 weeks, but that's been cancelled.
After that it's Ile De Re in April, but playing that by ear. Thank god we went to Austria a few weeks ago, because the thought of not getting in my Motorhome and buggering off into Europe is not something I look forward to.
I don't have any plans on booking anything in the UK either.

Planning the NC500, nothing booked as I think it'll be 'a wait till the day and then decide to go' situation. It's still a go for now.

Edit: regards to UK,

Reading between the lines the guideline was 1000 now 500 people density in closed areas, and 0.5 people per sq ft to be closed to public for now...

But outside open air events are at the discretion of the organisers....

Looks like F1 has taken a hammering, but BTCC should still go ahead.

I'm hoping all will be well and we can carry on.

Hopefully camp sites will be open.

And I'm still 100% I wanna go camperjam, rutland water, speed fest, busfest.

Fingers crossed ATM as it's only going to get more crazy over the next 12 weeks before thing will start to recover...

Oh, I got a week in Turkey booked in May too.... let's hope that's not cancelled.

Last edited:
I think it’s almost certain that campsites will be closing. The exact timing is obviously hard to predict.

I think the problem is no one knows anything for sure.
This started off as a small problem, that snowballed so fast that it's now closing boarders all over the world, something i've never experienced in my 45 years on the planet. Am I concerned? I am starting to get more worried about older family members and just the general health of myself and my immediate family. Is this a normal reaction or a direct response to what I read on the news. The fact is according to the BBCs area check, Leicestershire has 4 cases out of 698,268 people. A normal person would wonder what all the panic is about, but social media is making things a whole lot worse to a point none of us know what tomorrow will bring.

Bring on some warmer weather is all I can say.

I think the problem is no one knows anything for sure.
This started off as a small problem, that snowballed so fast that it's now closing boarders all over the world, something i've never experienced in my 45 years on the planet. Am I concerned? I am starting to get more worried about older family members and just the general health of myself and my immediate family. Is this a normal reaction or a direct response to what I read on the news. The fact is according to the BBCs area check, Leicestershire has 4 cases out of 698,268 people. A normal person would wonder what all the panic is about, but social media is making things a whole lot worse to a point none of us know what tomorrow will bring.

Bring on some warmer weather is all I can say.

That is how exponential growth works though, it starts small. At some point Iran only had four cases too, and now they are digging mass graves large enough to be seen from space. The question isn't the current number of cases, it's whether policies (and individual behaviours) are sufficient to slow the growth rate enough that the health services aren't completely overwhelmed - which would lead to a spiralling of the death rate as older/vulnerable people are denied life-saving care.

I have a ferry booked for Amsterdam early June with plans for a trip to Switzerland via Belgium,France and Luxembourg and Germany on the way back but just received an email from DFDS saying people booked for April can get a voucher for a later trip so I am hoping I get the same for ours. I think everywhere in the UK is going to be overloaded with campervans this summer so might give that a miss as I like the peace and quiet.

Random facts from this morning..

Just watching the BBC thing... chief medical dude saying....

Upto 80% of people in uk will catch it. So 8 out of 10 people.

Its mild flu like with persistent cough and temp.

: Most people will get over it in 7days

: You will build up anti bodys so wont catch the same strain twice.

Its flu like and will do the rounds like normal flu season.

: It wont be added to next years flu jab as it's more like common cold and hard to make a vaccine that works, they working on people building up there own immunity to it.

: Its last for 24hrs on soft surfaces, 72hrs on hard.... easily cleaned with most household detergents.

_111255390_controlled_uncontrolled_transmission_v03_640-nc.png

I'm sure most of you will have seen this article already given it's all over social media etc, but in case you haven't, it's a great explanation.

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

Now is the time for society to step up, help each other out, and avoid disaster. It is not the time to be wondering whether you can still justify your holiday plans. Once it's clear we have got a handle on this, then's the time for holidays, hopefully great ones that your elderly and vulnerable relatives are still around to see the photos of!

I'm sure most of you will have seen this article already given it's all over social media etc, but in case you haven't, it's a great explanation.

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

Now is the time for society to step up, help each other out, and avoid disaster. It is not the time to be wondering whether you can still justify your holiday plans. Once it's clear we have got a handle on this, then's the time for holidays, hopefully great ones that your elderly and vulnerable relatives are still around to see the photos of!

I'm not sure on the validity of that link, but a lot of these have been shown to be fake news and some of the advice has been proven to be totally incorrect. Even the BBC have been found quoting some of the advice that's incorrect which only goes to show that common sense and calm will prevail.

I'm not sure on the validity of that link, but a lot of these have been shown to be fake news and some of the advice has been proven to be totally incorrect. Even the BBC have been found quoting some of the advice that's incorrect which only goes to show that common sense and calm will prevail.

It's a piece of analysis, rather than the usual screaming social media "facts". As with any analysis though, you are free to agree or disagree with the reasoning and assumptions within it. I certainly agree that common sense and calm should prevail, in these kind of tail events though, it is not immediately obvious what the common sense approach is - hence the need for reasoned debate.

We had a week in Jersey booked for the last week in May but have just cancelled it. I still had 68 days before travel so only lost the £150 deposit

If im brutally honest, im not really panicking over it all, my total disbelief as a country is how people panic because they may have to stay indoors for a week and feeling the need to stockpile stuff like bog role !! do they not have soap and water ? Media is a powerful thing that spreads wild fire one day and the next tells people not to panic buy.
I may be crossing the Lincolnshire border to rutland next week if I can avoid the checkpoints ;)

If im brutally honest, im not really panicking over it all, my total disbelief as a country is how people panic because they may have to stay indoors for a week and feeling the need to stockpile stuff like bog role !! do they not have soap and water ? Media is a powerful thing that spreads wild fire one day and the next tells people not to panic buy.
I may be crossing the Lincolnshire border to rutland next week if I can avoid the checkpoints ;)
I was in Costco yesterday buying some fish and everyone else seemed to be buying water and shit tickets by the trolley full :eek:

Back