Campsite costs UK

Andpopse

T6 Guru
Heading off to Bala soon, the cost of campsites has increased so much, I booked a 3 bed bungalow for not much more. Site increases are killing camping. What do people think is reasonable per night ?

Depends what facilities you are after and where the location is....as long as there are loos, but thats not always the case if they really are 'wild' spots, i have generally been paying around 20-25 per night but has been as much as 35 but that doesnt mean the facilities or the location are any better.....just greedy owners.

I'd like to say that a lot of UK sites are pricing themselves out of the market but I reckon there's always another sucker around the corner willing to pay that £40 per night for facilities that your average european site would be ashamed of. Within reason, I can afford whatever they want to charge at home but I do hate having the urine extracted from me.

We paid £40 per night at Easter to camp as a dry (wet) run for the summer with a new tent. Couldn't park by the tent due to wet ground. No food on site just a pub. Had to drive in town for everything, no facilities for young kids as the footy pitch was waterlogged. Just weren't impressed and certainly won't be going back there again. Almost certain, greedy owners.

I maybe a mug but happy to pay more per night short term if it puts people off camping. I hate busy camp sites and having to book in advance so if the pricing swings people back into hotels then it’s worth the money!

Having said that £40 for hardstanding with electric, decent bogs and showers and a pub next door is about our limit although paid a lot more for fancy things on the pitch (hot tub, en-suite, cabin with wood burner :p )

There are a few useful places to overnight in the UK, more in Scotland than south of the border. We have always been happy to use wild spots as we have carried a Porta Potty in the T6 and obviously now have a toilet/shower pod in the TGE. We use Search for Sites as our usual source of locations.

However once you have wandered France you will never be satisfied with the greedy campsite owners here in the UK! Unfortunately so many folks expect fancy facilities in the form of toilet / shower blocks, neatly mown grass, tarmac roadways, 16A EHUs, site lighting etc. for which everyone has to pay! For us a remote wild site with almost no neighbours is very preferable.

Unfortunately so many folks expect fancy facilities in the form of toilet / shower blocks, neatly mown grass, tarmac roadways, 16A EHUs, site lighting etc. for which everyone has to pay! For us a remote wild site with almost no neighbours is very preferable.
So true, I find campsites mind numbingly boring and avoid at all cost.
If I want to share a crapper with a bunch of strangers I can do that in a supermarket.

£40 a night is cheap for Dorset, the prices down here for a fully serviced pitch are ridiculous.

For the first time ever we decided to stick the caravan on a seasonal, should work out far cheaper than going for a week at a time.

Reactions: CAB
I can’t believe we’re going to pay £49 per night to go to Cornwall at half term. However, it was arranged by someone in our village who always goes there! There will be five families we know and they’ve put us all together so hopefully it will be good even if it is bloody expensive!!

Actually including extras eg. Our daughter coming we are paying £48 pn for a C&CC site in July. And that is the member price for a site with very basic facilities!

It's one reason why we just don't bother in the UK with camping - as many have pointed out, the quality/price ratio compared to (eg) France is pretty poor. I'm not necessarily convinced that it's always greed - if your main income is from camping, perhaps these are the prices that you have to charge to make a reasonable profit given your capital investment, interest costs, seasonality etc etc.

i paid £55 for 1 night near Delamere forest on saturday, the permanent resident's in 30 year old caravans that have turned green a long time ago ruined it some what, nice enough toilets and a lovely pub next door tho.... wont rush back at that price.....

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
I'm not necessarily convinced that it's always greed - if your main income is from camping, perhaps these are the prices that you have to charge to make a reasonable profit given your capital investment, interest costs, seasonality etc etc.
I agree with this. Some of the places must be expensive to run and often have a very short peak. Perhaps people would rather houses were built instead; if consent could be obtained I’m sure the payback would be greater and faster.

£20 a night is my upper limit! Although I prefer the 'back to basics' camp sites - a field, a toilet/shower block and as few people as possible!!

I might stretch to £25 if there's a a pool... But generally I'm aiming for the £10-15 a night sites!

It's still massively cheaper than an Airbnb - they can be £100 a night for a glorified shed!!

We've had this discussion before, campsites can only charge what people will pay. If someone is daft enough to pay £70/night in Cornwall, 'cos it's cool & trendy & they want to be a surfer dude, then the campsites will charge it. It's basic economics. We have stayed in Cornwall, admittedly just "Off season" & paid under £20/night.

I guess I must inadvertently be thinking I’m cool then because I just look for sites near pubs with bogs and I seem to pay a minimum of £30 a night. Never see anything around £10 (usually want to book hardstanding and electric but this isn’t a requirement)

I’ve been checking my bookings and the most expensive place I’ve stayed on pitchup was over £50 a night in Dorset and was completely awful.

Back