Will Coronavirus Close Campsites?

I just saw on the news that Italy has had its lowest number of new cases since the beginning today so it seems like the precautions are beginning work.

it'll be interesting to see how China gets on now they are starting to lift their restrictions...

.... from today when I leave home I have to carry a self-declaration with my personal data, I have to indicate the time of exit, the route and where I go, all only for work or serious reasons, the police check and if it does not correspond to what you have declared, you will be criminally reported and fined up to 4000 euros .... they even think of seizing the vehicle you are using ... today they say that this restriction could last until July 31st .... the government no longer knows what fish to take !! .. meanwhile we have arrived 6500 dead ...

Just got email from cliff house campsite that I have booked up for April ........

Due to the COVID - 19 outbreak and following the government guidelines we have had to cancel all bookings from today until further notice. We will issue credit notes to the value paid which can be redeemed up to 18 months from the date issued. Please accept our sincerest apologies and hope to see you all back soon.

Cliff House Holiday Park
Looks like camping on my drive way

Just got email from cliff house campsite that I have booked up for April ........

Due to the COVID - 19 outbreak and following the government guidelines we have had to cancel all bookings from today until further notice. We will issue credit notes to the value paid which can be redeemed up to 18 months from the date issued. Please accept our sincerest apologies and hope to see you all back soon.

Cliff House Holiday Park
Looks like camping on my drive way

If you accept the credit note, might there be a risk that the site will go bust over the coming months and you'd therefore be out of pocket? Can you ask for your cash back instead?

... latest official data ... other 743 deaths ... we are close to 7000 deaths here in Italy and not only elderly people ... I live a few meters from the old border with Slovenia ... now everything is barred with the military on the border ... if you go out to shop people start looking at you in a strange, unfriendly way, until yesterday with the cashier of the Super Market you could have a chat .. now they are all dressed in masks, glasses and gloves .. also the petrol stations have closed around, people are queuing for petrol .... and soon the trucks that carry the goods due to lack of fuel will also stop ... there will be no more food .. other than holidays ... maybe !!

....the police check and if it does not correspond to what you have declared, you will be criminally reported and fined up to 4000 euros .... they even think of seizing the vehicle you are using ...

and then there’s Boris with his £30 threat.

... latest official data ... other 743 deaths ... we are close to 7000 deaths here in Italy and not only elderly people ... I live a few meters from the old border with Slovenia ... now everything is barred with the military on the border ... if you go out to shop people start looking at you in a strange, unfriendly way, until yesterday with the cashier of the Super Market you could have a chat .. now they are all dressed in masks, glasses and gloves .. also the petrol stations have closed around, people are queuing for petrol .... and soon the trucks that carry the goods due to lack of fuel will also stop ... there will be no more food .. other than holidays ... maybe !!

Keep it coming @alter, it's good to hear it from a native speaker. We've not left the Parco for nearly three weeks now so only got Brits to get info from. I miss my Italian colleagues! Were miles away down south in Napoli but I reckon were a couple of weeks behind the north. Stay safe mate.

today's war report talks about new 690 virus deaths ... one person dies every 2 minutes here in Italy. Not only do people who live in areas where air pollution is usually higher die, so I don't see a correlation between pollution and deaths. Most are elderly, very old, people who in other countries would have already died, and this is because not all countries have effective health care as in Italy, care that cures everyone, not just those who can pay for private medicine. ..your land have offered to host our patients in intensive care and this is because there are currently 3800 intensive care places all occupied. I sincerely thank your people who help us right now. But unfortunately it is not over ......

So can anyone see campsites opening back up this summer? Can't see it myself and expect restrictions all year in some form.

...... in Croazia, nella regione dell'Istria, i campeggi sono tutti aperti dal 15 maggio, ma il problema è ancora ai confini con la Slovenia / Croazia ..... per ora sono ancora chiusi ..... speriamo. .. .. i campi hanno prolungato la stagione fino alla fine di ottobre ...

Reactions: CAB
So can anyone see campsites opening back up this summer? Can't see it myself and expect restrictions all year in some form.

@True Romance
Got to agree with you, but in the back of my mind I hope there’s a light at the end of the tunnel for it being earlier
Once levels have got to a safe level and people start working at a distance surely same rules could be put in place for leaving the house in some way
Not saying it’s right either way it goes as we need to maintain the good that everybody, well 99% of us have arrived out to go forward in the future months
It’s in the governments / countries interest to get back to a near normal routine to keep people sane and generate cash flow with out going backwards

Andy

Even if restrictions are reduced locals will view outsiders with suspicion. Up here in the north there is no wish for the NC500 to open this year. Businesses may disagree but the truth is travellers actually spend very little and residents are in no hurry to open the floodgates. Wild camping will be frowned upon until all clear given. Better to be patient and wait till people get back to normal.

Last edited:
We have a week booked in France in June which coincides with Le Mans 24 hours. Just the ferry booked so far, and entrance tickets for Le Mans.
If Le Mans gets cancelled, then we will still go, but we are wary about campsite availability.

Just have to watch this space I guess. I wouldn't book anything abroad at this point, but would book a campsite in the UK.

Pete
When I’ve camped at Le Mans in the past there is no space between pitches and you’re crammed in! They will need to maintain social distancing and extend the pitch sizes. My C1 Spa 24 race has been cancelled as Belgium have banned gatherings over x000 in once place - something similar might be adopted in France?

Alter, From the UK, we have a lot more borders in between us and Croatia where the countries are in lockdown and will probably have some sort of restrictions on travel, maybe even through until the end of summer. Istria was going to be my destination for a month later in the year but I would actually go anywhere at the moment just to be able to sleep in the van (apart from my from front drive that is). Mi scuso per non aver potuto scrivere tutto in italiano - rimanga sicuro.

.... mi sento come un animale in una gabbia .... per fortuna ho un grande giardino per rilassarmi .... ma guardo la mia California e sono triste ... appena posso muovermi voglio consumare tutto il carburante. ... e persino i 500 litri di benzina della barca .... maledizione del virus

Back