Why do main dealers change the sump plug every oil change? Or do they?

Eggy

Hi guys I’m new to the forum.
I recently carried out my first oil and filter change since buying my T6.
I noticed on all the previous main dealers oil services that they charged for a new sump plug. So naturally assuming it had a crush washer I purchased one with the oil filter.
However on inspecting the plug I removed and the new one sold to me, I notice they have a solid stainless steel washer. To be honest I’m surprised they seal properly at all. In fact judging by the damp patch around the sump plug, they don’t seal very well!
I was wondering if anyone could explain why the dealers are changing then at each service? Or perhaps they’re not and just charging for them and basically ripping us off! Just me being sceptical !!
Thanks.

Can't answer that specific question.

But the old style crush washer used to be copper, and as you say would need to be replaced.... as the washer was captive in the sump plug.

I’ve never changed a sump plug in my 61 years. The seal is made on the alum’ sump boss.
You could say they are ripping you off but on the other hand it allows them to employ semi-skilled ‘mechanics’ who have no concept of thread condition or seals.
Copper washer have to be very hard or deformed not to seal, easily annealed to rectify that.
With live in a throw away society.

A lot of sump washers are soft

Yes and then of course you can understand main dealers replacing the whole sump plug because the washer is usual captive.
I just can’t understand VW’s requirement to change a plug which has a 1.5mm thick, stainless steel washer!

Perhaps the plug with the captive stainless washer is the only one they make now.

Could it be they this one was thought to have more longevity when left in place for an indefinite time when they extracted the oil? My understanding is that they have reverted back to draining oil again, so would have gone back to the old method of replacing the plug and washer as they used to.

The dealers replace them probably because the newbie fitters they let loose on your van damage them undoing them with the wrong sized socket. ;)

Surprised they would even remove it TBH, i thought all dealers used their machines to suck the oil out these days rather than draining it ?

I’ve got a vacuum pump mainly because it‘s easier than catching over 7L of oil under the van. I then remove the plug and get the remaining litre out.
If they aren’t removing the plug you aren’t getting an oil change.

Surprised they would even remove it TBH, i thought all dealers used their machines to suck the oil out these days rather than draining it ?
Perhaps they don’t but two local VW van centres have charged for a new one at each oil change!

They’ll also charge to fill your already full screen wash tank if you let them.
That’s one of my pet hates. It’s not only VW dealers but Porsche and Volvo main dealer workshops that have regularly tried it on with me too.

The last time I put my Volvo in for a service, I brimmed the washer reservoir and stuck a label over the filler cap with the date and time of topping up just to make a point. I also took a photograph of it. The cheeky sods still tried it on with a charge on the invoice and the service receptionist actually remarked that they had had to remove the label to check the washer level (which you could have seen without removing the cap). It was only when I showed them the picture I’d taken a couple of hours earlier that they deleted it from the invoice making the excuse that it was “an honest error” (just like they’d made the three previous services). Breathtaking.

That’s one of my pet hates. It’s not only VW dealers but Porsche and Volvo main dealer workshops that have regularly tried it on with me too.

The last time I put my Volvo in for a service, I brimmed the washer reservoir and stuck a label over the filler cap with the date and time of topping up just to make a point. I also took a photograph of it. The cheeky sods still tried it on with a charge on the invoice and the service receptionist actually remarked that they had had to remove the label to check the washer level (which you could have seen without removing the cap). It was only when I showed them the picture I’d taken a couple of hours earlier that they deleted it from the invoice making the excuse that it was “an honest error” (just like they’d made the three previous services). Breathtaking.

British trait, I tipped for a very mediocre meal last night. It sends the wrong message.

They’ll also charge to fill your already full screen wash tank if you let them.
Exactly!
Since owning the vehicle I’ve only recently twigged that “cleaning agent” is VW code for screen wash!
In all the services the van had before I bought it, 1 litre of cleaning agent has been charged for.

Back