4motion rear diff oil change... anyone doing this ??

Van to the dealer today for oil service, dsg oil change, fns wheel bearing,check egr,… Phoned by the dealer as a technician had said the Haldex oil was due a change shortly did I want it done now. Costing arm and a leg anyway so thought might as well be both arms so gave the go ahead. When I picked the van up was informed the haldex oil had not been changed as VW has issued a recall notice on the vw supplied oil???. The best answer the service desk could give me was maybe a “bad” batch of oil.But the dealers not replacing haldex oil at this time.
All seems a bit ho hum. How have VW had cause to identify the oil as a problem? For info if you’ve had the haldex oil replaced. Had search but nothing on the forum re this.
I’d ask to see the recall notice, sounds like BS to me.

Hi @kiteboardkid . My van is serviced at Clark’s Commercials now Seat in Dundee. All the information I have is from their service desk.
This is recent probably in the last 2 weeks. Once the replacement oil has been received I will be contacted to get it replaced. Apparently there is other oil available but the dealer doesn’t want to use any “non genuine “ oil (their words), probably in case of any future issues.
Based on the reason given “bad” batch I have no idea how widely this batch would have been distributed so which/ how many dealers would be affected. How has this batch been identified? Retrospective qc by the supplier which should surely require dealers to be identifying customers affected and a foc replacement.
Another scenario is that for some reason VW are changing the spec of the haldex oil and the new stuff is imminent.
If there is something “whiffy” it is at VW commercial uk and not my dealer who, apart from the horrendous prices, has always given good service. Sorting the many warranty issues with my van involved some fairly candid discussions with the service manager. Although yesterdays , hello customer would you like us to do this job= yes that would be splendid please go ahead= well we can’t… doh.
I will update when I hear from my dealer.

Had a good look underneath today whilst up on ramps. 100% there is no drain for the diff oil!

I finally decided to change the wheels and tyres back to normal size/spec/road tyres. I went and bought a good second hand set this week.

Low behold! It is actually the BFG K02 tyres and subsequent road noise they create that is the cause of all the droning!
On normal road tyres I can clearly hear the road noise in the rear change up and down over different asphalt surfaces. So, even all the experts that looked at this and said it's the Diff got it wrong. It turns out the Diff noise I have is quite normal on a 4motion and they are noisier in the rear than a 2 wheel drive for obvious reasons.

What I do not understand is the people out there with same setup saying these tyres really aren't any noisier! It is horrendous in my van, even after going to town on the sound deadening and focussing more on wheel arches and floor area.

I am currently experimenting with tyre pressures now from 65psi down to 35 psi, but first impressions are, it's making little difference.
Will try adding an acoustic curtain behind the second row seats, I may also try adding sound insul externally behind the wheel arch liners.

Oh well, maybe a Swamper setup isn't for me!

Had a good look underneath today whilst up on ramps. 100% there is no drain for the diff oil!

I finally decided to change the wheels and tyres back to normal size/spec/road tyres. I went and bought a good second hand set this week.

Low behold! It is actually the BFG K02 tyres and subsequent road noise they create that is the cause of all the droning!
On normal road tyres I can clearly hear the road noise in the rear change up and down over different asphalt surfaces. So, even all the experts that looked at this and said it's the Diff got it wrong. It turns out the Diff noise I have is quite normal on a 4motion and they are noisier in the rear than a 2 wheel drive for obvious reasons.

What I do not understand is the people out there with same setup saying these tyres really aren't any noisier! It is horrendous in my van, even after going to town on the sound deadening and focussing more on wheel arches and floor area.

I am currently experimenting with tyre pressures now from 65psi down to 35 psi, but first impressions are, it's making little difference.
Will try adding an acoustic curtain behind the second row seats, I may also try adding sound insul externally behind the wheel arch liners.

Oh well, maybe a Swamper setup isn't for me!

How worn are the BFG's?
The reason I ask is because tyres can become noisy as they age and wear. I once had Nokian Weatherproofs on my 4Motion T6 and thought they were great.
They were great.... until they'd got about 20K miles on them. They still had loads of tread on them and could have done at least another 10K miles but the droning noise got on my nerves and I binned them.

How worn are the BFG's?
The reason I ask is because tyres can become noisy as they age and wear. I once had Nokian Weatherproofs on my 4Motion T6 and thought they were great.
They were great.... until they'd got about 20K miles on them. They still had loads of tread on them and could have done at least another 10K miles but the droning noise got on my nerves and I binned them.
BFG K02 have done approx 400 miles now.

BFG K02 have done approx 400 miles now.
I’ve known 2 sets of ko2 go bad and both times there was suspicion of wheel bearings or diff problems before the tyres were found to be the problem.
None of these at 400 miles however.
My set had “feathering” on the fronts which seemed to be from poor alignment.

my 235/65 17 Falken Wildthingys are really quiet, no difference to the std 17's. I cant remember if I had mentioned this. Retro Resus did a 4motion and drive check and service for me and they always add in a drain bolt in the blank space where VW forgot to put it. They said 'sealed for life' units when they service they find a fair few empty almost :)

my 235/65 17 Falken Wildthingys are really quiet, no difference to the std 17's. I cant remember if I had mentioned this. Retro Resus did a 4motion and drive check and service for me and they always add in a drain bolt in the blank space where VW forgot to put it. They said 'sealed for life' units when they service they find a fair few empty almost :)
I did wonder about changing to these Falken. Please let me know the exact model as there seem to be a few variants of the Wildpeak ???
Strangely though most of the Off road style tyres suitable all state 72db including the BFG K02!

Yes I plan to get a drain plug in there as soon as possible! It maybe low or certainly need replacing!

Last edited:
I did wonder about changing to these Falken. Please let me know the exact model as there seem to be a few variants of the Wildpeak ???
Strangely though most of the Off road style tyres suitable all state 72db including the BFG K02!

Yes I plan to get a drain plug in there as soon as possible! It maybe low or certainly need replacing!
Falken Wildpeak AT3WA 235/65 R17 H (108), Reinforced

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-02 at 9.56.57 AM (1).jpeg

Sure they are no as AT as your tyres but I think they are more practical for me

Back