Main dealers service

DB46

Help
Just had a service done on a service plan, as always I expected the “breaks are 60% worn” every single visit there 60% ( had new pads and discs, 16 months ago)
it’s the Cambelt I’m concerned with!
I had it done with this main dealer a few years ago, it’s not logged in the service manual but I do have a receipt, it apparently doesn’t show on there system that it’s been done!
Can anyone tell me the mileage it needs changing at, I think it was done or maybe not around 80k
It’s a 65 plate T6 130 just done 120k
Thanks in advance

They have recently upped it to 120k ish miles..

So what milage did you get yours done?

Where can I find definitive confirmation that the cam belt replacement has been increased to 120k? I would also expect a time period to be specified.
Used to be 80k / 4 years.
So now VW will accept the consequences of a premature cam belt failure at say 115k regardless of age of the vehicle? I doubt that.

Where can I find definitive confirmation that the cam belt replacement has been increased to 120k? I would also expect a time period to be specified.
So now VW will accept the consequences of a premature cam belt failure at say 115k regardless of age of the vehicle? I doubt that.

VW will never accept the consequences of premature failure unless you are still under warranty, it’s just their recommendation

Just had a service done on a service plan, as always I expected the “breaks are 60% worn” every single visit there 60% ( had new pads and discs, 16 months ago)

I fitted new rear discs and pads on mine the day before it went in for service. In the video they sent me during the 'service' the fella commented that they looked recent and probably 10% worn. At that rate, they have a life span of 300miles.

I fitted new rear discs and pads on mine the day before it went in for service. In the video they sent me during the 'service' the fella commented that they looked recent and probably 10% worn. At that rate, they have a life span of 300miles.
my rears are 90% worn and disks lipped with recommended replacement (replacements on the way) but the fronts are 55% worn and disks ok ..... the disks are in an identical state to the rears ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ..... ordered new all round anyway

tyres 6-7 mm

the tech strongly indicated all tyres were "perishing", got me thinking, he didnt say perished which would indicate worn out and unsafe

perishing simply means wearing so in theory anything from new to perished is in a state of perishing! .... they do try to put the fear of god into you

oh and the rear rubber spring cups which is standard according to CRS

There conning people, I had new breaks done at the dealers said 60-70 worn, so I had them done on their recommendation and 6 months later, it went in for a MOT again 60% worn.
I dug up all paper work over 12 years and every service recommended to replace

They made a comment on mine at the last service that they were around 50% worn and should be 'monitored' - I responded by saying 'don't you mean that they're 50% unworn and have plenty off life left in them'.

VW will never accept the consequences of premature failure unless you are still under warranty, it’s just their recommendation
I agree, recommendations are not definitive and therefore should be taken with caution. An item like a timing is subject to the wear and tear as other moving parts on engines and will have a variable wear rate depending on a multitude of factors, particularly the environment where the vehicle is used. When you stop to think how many times that belt goes around the drive pulleys it’s quite amazing!
As I’m UK based I will be sticking with the 80k belt and water pump change as it is a well established precedent.

Regarding the cambelt, my 21 Tig 200 TDi is in for a recall today. I've just had the video of the tyres being measured and told that everything is OK. On the email there was a list of things to do now or in the future it says "Cambelt Change due at 140k" No mention of age tho'.

Just an update
So I paid for my Cambelt doing around 80k miles I have a receipt but it’s not logged in the service book and it’s not in the VW computer, so they recommend I pay £800 for a new one, and also in the urgent attention was to replace my whole drivers seat as the cloth is slightly ripped!
That’s £1500 for urgent repairs I don’t need

Just an update
So I paid for my Cambelt doing around 80k miles I have a receipt but it’s not logged in the service book and it’s not in the VW computer, so they recommend I pay £800 for a new one, and also in the urgent attention was to replace my whole drivers seat as the cloth is slightly ripped!

Were they wearing masks?
I've never used a main dealer but I expected them to act ethically, it appears not all do.

my rears are 90% worn and disks lipped with recommended replacement (replacements on the way) but the fronts are 55% worn and disks ok ..... the disks are in an identical state to the rears ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ..... ordered new all round anyway

tyres 6-7 mm

the tech strongly indicated all tyres were "perishing", got me thinking, he didnt say perished which would indicate worn out and unsafe

perishing simply means wearing so in theory anything from new to perished is in a state of perishing! .... they do try to put the fear of god into you

oh and the rear rubber spring cups which is standard according to CRS
There's a world of difference between "perishing" & "worn". Perishing means that the rubber is degrading & starting to crack, usually on the shoulders & sidewall. "Worn" is well...err... Worn!. We had a Yeti fail it's first MOT with the OEM original Pirelli tyres with 10,000 miles on them. They were less than half worn, but all 4 were perished & cracked.

Just an update
saw you coming:oops:

Just as a note ……..There is an integral part of all franchised dealers to achieve the best results for profit their centres. That business.
The service department is joined at the hip to the parts department. Partially worn brakes are are great example. Anyone who receives a call about brakes immediately goes into a OMG mode. The uninitiated will fall for whatever they are advised.
I hope most people on this forum will know something about checking brake wear and tyre age dates so avoiding unwarranted costs.
I trust a good Indy above the big franchises
Good luck

Just as a note ……..There is an integral part of all franchised dealers to achieve the best results for profit their centres. That business.
The service department is joined at the hip to the parts department. Partially worn brakes are are great example. Anyone who receives a call about brakes immediately goes into a OMG mode. The uninitiated will fall for whatever they are advised.
I hope most people on this forum will know something about checking brake wear and tyre age dates so avoiding unwarranted costs.
I trust a good Indy above the big franchises
Good luck
Businesses should act ethically, that doesn't include persuading people to have work done that doesn't need doing.
If they were scruffy men driving a Transit (other models are available!) and telling a pensioner that they needed a new roof, when it wasn't required, we'd all be disgusted and there would be a Police investigation.
It's no different.

Back in the 80s I worked in a garage, we did "free" wheel alignment (tracking) checks. The brief from the boss was you always tell the customer their tracking is out of alignment and advise they have it adjusted. Of course there was a charge for doing this.

I'm fortunate I have a very good understanding of cars and have challenged garages over the years but I feel sorry for people they rip off with statements like your brakes are worn when there is loads of life still left in them.

Back