Changed My Wheels Over And Noticed The Better Ride

AJ 82

T6 Pro
Took my 20's off and the VW 16's went on today.

Popped down halfords and couldn't get over how much quieter the miltek exhaust was, how much more nimble the van felt on the 16's, everything felt better.

If the van is quieter, means the engine must be under significant less load?

Now I am considering some 18's.

Thoughts?

I’m looking to remove my 20” and replace with 16” steels to get better gearing for towing.

20” wheels look cool but ruined it.

I ran 20” wheels for 5 months. When I put the devonports back on I couldn’t believe it .
The van felt great . Also went from 25mpg to 40 ! I won’t be going back down that road .

I did exactly the same thing after my 20" tyres needed replacing after 8k. Felt like the whole van had been oiled, more responsive and gearing loads better. Also, as @Brennanpj said, fuel consumption noticeably improved although not quite from 25 to 40, more like 30/32 to 37/40... ish

Will never go back, apart from anything else tyres now at 17k and still plenty left... got some 17" Devonports and delivery mileage Continentals for when they need replacing as prefer alloy to steel.

Definately wont be going back to the 20's and I doubt ever bigger than 17".

interesting thread

in your experience and now given no 20's, would you still lower onto coilovers if using 17's ?

cheers

Thing that struck me most was how quiet the exhaust was which means the engine must be working really hard in every gear with the 20’s on.

Such a shame that the 16’s look so pants. Shame there isn’t a wheel in between that covers it all.

If you run 19s with 255/40 profile tyres it gives you the same rolling radius as standard 18 inch sportlines running the recommended 255/45/18 tyres

I've been looking at trying to get a good all round compromise with wheel/tyre size. 20's were never on the cards for me. Currently got Devonports 17" x 7j et56 with 215/60r17 contis. I actually think they're a really classy looking wheel and suit the T6. However with no immediate plans to lower the van, I'm looking to fill out the arches just a bit more. Got some Amarok Manaus 18" x 7.5j et45 wheels. Not too dissimilar in style to my Donkeyports. Just hoping aesthetically, they'll look a bit beefier. 245/50 r18 Maxxis summer tyres on the way from Tyreleader. Figure they should have similar level of comfort. 30mm wider tread means I can run at a lower pressure. Just 6mm larger overall radius, so hoping there will be little noticeable effect on gearing. Speedo should be more accurate by about 1mph. Expecting a slight drop in mpg but hopefully just marginal. Will weigh the wheel/tyre combo's to establish difference in unsprung mass. Fingers crossed Professor Donks theories prove fruitful. Planning to keep the Devonports for the winter, but if the fractionally oversized tyres work on the 18's, may look at 225/50 r17 tyres. Falken do a van specific winter tyre in this size Here's the stats on dimensions so far.

20190401_230844.jpg

20190401_230905.jpg

Last edited:
As someone who currently has 20"'s and is looking for better ride comfort/noise, this is good to hear. Can I ask which site gave you the graphics above? Would be useful for shopping.

I have Devonports on a Caravelle, lowered 60mm on B14’s and 25mm spacers all round

Back