Which Is The Best Dash Cam ???

Hi All, fitting the Thinkware 770 dash cam ,happy with all the wiring ,but a question on the rear camera position. Due to the rear rubber wiring tube full with additional wiring no room for the camera cable . I intend to fix the camara at high level on a made bracket fixed the the rear of the van and not to the rear hatch . Can any one see any problems with this position? Does the camera pick up any reflection from the window ? Thank for your thoughts .Stampie

Looking at similar camera's either 770 or 775. Interesting idea of fixing it somewhere other than on the rear screen. Be interested in thoughts. @T6 Dave, don't you have one of these cameras? Any insight into whether @Stampie66 idea would work.
My issue with it being on the back window is kicking it off when sleeping on the kombi bed as my head is right at one end and my feet are on the rear screen at the other.

@DaveyB , @Stampie66 You won't have cable to mount at top middle point of hatch glass once you have come down inside the tailgate, although you would if you went to centre of hatch opening, then looped out in flex conduit? Or just cable, to a sticky padded cable tie point on hatch frame, then mount cam on glass at the top.. Mounting cam to roof means easily hit or knocked, on hatch means it moves out of the way... Can't see a 775 Dave, so presume you mean a 750... 770 is the better one. Fitting locations shown earlier in thread..

Last edited:
The 770 is better, but when I looked the difference was marginal and I've been really happy with the 750 in my car for 3 yrs so I bought another set for the van. Main reason was as the 750 is being discontinued (the 770 is the replacement) it was much cheaper to buy and the 770 didn't seem to be worth the extra £70ish

F770 is more unobtrusive, cable management is nicer as well, but main useful feature is that the system has super night vision enhancement mode for when parked up.. A damaged vehicle might cost more than the £150 initial saving.. My moto in all this, never having had one.. And pondered a lot... Buy it once, and buy the best you can, sod the expense, as I don't want to be regretting any perceived saving if I need the images off it!

Fair enough, I don't use the parking mode so it's not something I took into account

Fair enough, I don't use the parking mode so it's not something I took into account

If it's there, turn it on, p1 of this thread user Jonny had a hit on his parked that he heard, but didn't see, that's where my discussion in this thread started.. You never know when you will need it.. It also captures people going up to and from van, I.e. Scrotes breaking in or damaging, hence the want of super night vision.. Might get a face!

Yeah I did turn it on when I set it up but turned it off again as all it was recording was me shutting the doors. As it's camper and not in daily use it's either in the garage or I'm in it

Fair do's, but you are asking elsewhere about upgrade of interior sensors for the alarm.. Well with parking mode you might get a face, certainly a rough description...

Yeah I hadn't thought of it that way, but knowing my luck they'd probably nick the dashcam. You've convinced me, I'll give it another go but I'll see if setting the sensitivity lower will help with telling me something's happened when it was just me getting out

Think you can turn that off, but I leave it on, anything higher that say tw or if I hear it beep, I walk round van to check.. 1 or two is reassuring to me lol, Can always pop the card and use a spare to look at laters if needs..

Do you know if you can use an android tablet to live view the cameras, I'm thinking could this be an alternative to a proper reversing camera? I've got a tablet for a satnav already so if this works it could be a good solution.

Do you know if you can use an android tablet to live view the cameras, I'm thinking could this be an alternative to a proper reversing camera? I've got a tablet for a satnav already so if this works it could be a good solution.

? Should be OK to view the cams through the app.. But really for the convenience you really want a Rev cam as you need to turn on wifi each time on unit.. And gives a different view,, wider on dash cam and longer distance..

You have to manually activate to connect to phone to live view it would take 30 secs every time you wanted reverse but may be ok for occasional use like hitching up trailer etc

Yes I looked at this when I first got a Thinkware, hoped there was some way to get a video feed out but apparently not

@DaveyB , @Stampie66 You won't have cable to mount at top middle point of hatch glass once you have come down inside the tailgate, although you would if you went to centre of hatch opening, then looped out in flex conduit? Or just cable, to a sticky padded cable tie point on hatch frame, then mount cam on glass at the top.. Mounting cam to roof means easily hit or knocked, on hatch means it moves out of the way... Can't see a 775 Dave, so presume you mean a 750... 770 is the better one. Fitting locations shown earlier in thread..
Good thought about the camera getting knocked ,will do some more head scratching . Sorry for the delay in replying had a busy day :thumbsup:

Help.

Daft question and seen conflicting info. I have a F770 with hard wiring and wondering which of the wires is the switched or permanent ie yellow or red wire. Been on a couple of sites and done a search and they conflict so asking the experts here please

Help.

Daft question and seen conflicting info. I have a F770 with hard wiring and wondering which of the wires is the switched or permanent ie yellow or red wire. Been on a couple of sites and done a search and they conflict so asking the experts here please

Mine says yellow is battery, red is accessories... If you get it wrong, just swap round in fusebox, as no issues ref polarity

Back