Which H&R Springs?

Laundrymike

So...I've a T28 van, part converted - weighs 2150kg empty and running 18" Sportline alloys 235/50 tyres

I'd like to go a little lower but not much...measured from the hub centre to the top of the arch - 435mm front and 425mm rear

I've no great desire to fit coilovers, would rather fit a good quality spring and damper in the hope that the ride quality can be improved from the standard VW suspension fitted

I'm thinking H&R springs for now and save up/replace the shocks with Konis later on

They list Part Nr. 29270-1, -2, -3 and -4

I see they mention upto/over 1500kg axle weight front and upto/over 1560kg rear

Assume the heavier rated springs would suit me better?

But don't know the difference between 29270-2 and 29270-4 for example - are T28/30 springs different from T32 maybe?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

I have exactly the same dilemma. A T28, weighed at 2300kg converted, but unladen with people, fuel or luggage. Once it gets loaded up I think I’ll be at 2700-2800kg.

Should I be going for T30 rated H&R springs rather than maxing out T28 rated ones?

So...I've a T28 van, part converted - weighs 2150kg empty and running 18" Sportline alloys 235/50 tyres

I'd like to go a little lower but not much...measured from the hub centre to the top of the arch - 435mm front and 425mm rear

I've no great desire to fit coilovers, would rather fit a good quality spring and damper in the hope that the ride quality can be improved from the standard VW suspension fitted

I'm thinking H&R springs for now and save up/replace the shocks with Konis later on

But don't know the difference between 29270-2 and 29270-4 for example - are T28/30 springs different from T32 maybe?

Thanks!
I’ve got a set of h&r lowering springs I’m selling just not got round to advertising yet

Thanks!
Ok this has been done to death in the past i am, sure and this is quite a controversial topic because the H&R springs are all rated for TUV purposes and the weights of the van. I ll try to explain this better because we dont recognise TUV standards in UK ( I wish we did as it would stop a lot of crap being sold here )

the individual springs are numbered 29270-1 HA or VA or -2 HA or VA which is confusing of course as its similar to the kit part numbers ( HA Rear, VA front )

Kit 29270-1 is for light weight front light weight rear in the box is a -1 front -1 rear
kit 29270-2 Is for heavy front light rear -2 front -1 rear
kit 29270-3 Is for light weight front heavy rear -1 front -2 rear
Kit 29270-4 Heavy front and back . -2 front - 2 rear

The bomb shell news is that these springs are all the same rate , they aren't harder or softer at all The difference is the length .-1 short -2 longer ,

The biggest problem is that these 4 spring combinations dont suit all the vans that we have in UK specially the modified ones ( camper or day van etc )

We at CRS have ended up with 14 different combinations of spring to enable correct drops and carry weight at the correct height . so its way more complex than it first seems.

To give you an idea of how to spec the H&R springs

29270-1 small engine. nothing in the rear
29270-2 Big ( heavier ) engine nothing in the rear
29270-3 Small engine Camper rear
29270-4 Big engine ( heavier ) and camper rear .

This is complicated further by E C Parts commissioning H&R to make the same 4 spring range but in 50 mm drops , These dont use normal H&R part numbers because they arent H&R catalogue parts,

to hi light the issues with a small range of springs

29270-4 in a 180 hp Biturbo camper LWB Manual drop is 60 mm NOT 40 mm
fitting any of these kits to a 4 motion add at least 10 to 15 mm to the lowering range !!

What we do with Camper or heavy vans , because we cant be sure about the weight that has been added we supply a height adjustable rear spring with a stronger rate to get the exact lowering and weight carrying range we need . ( we all know how successful using coil over kits to adjust camper sag has been in the industry and the associated failures a plenty )

If you need more help feel free to call us ,

IMG_6586 - Copy.JPG

<snip>

What we do with Camper or heavy vans , because we cant be sure about the weight that has been added we supply a height adjustable rear spring with a stronger rate to get the exact lowering and weight carrying range we need . ( we all know how successful using coil over kits to adjust camper sag has been in the industry and the associated failures a plenty )

@CRS, this should be a pinned post. Clearly explains the issue and shows why you guys have the reputation that you have. The height adjustable turrets are a straightforward solution to getting the rear ride height fixed and solve the handling and steering issues caused by the negative rake.

@CRS, this should be a pinned post. Clearly explains the issue and shows why you guys have the reputation that you have. The height adjustable turrets are a straightforward solution to getting the rear ride height fixed and solve the handling and steering issues caused by the negative rake.
Spot on

Ok this has been done to death in the past i am, sure and this is quite a controversial topic because the H&R springs are all rated for TUV purposes and the weights of the van. I ll try to explain this better because we dont recognise TUV standards in UK ( I wish we did as it would stop a lot of crap being sold here )

the individual springs are numbered 29270-1 HA or VA or -2 HA or VA which is confusing of course as its similar to the kit part numbers ( HA Rear, VA front )

Kit 29270-1 is for light weight front light weight rear in the box is a -1 front -1 rear
kit 29270-2 Is for heavy front light rear -2 front -1 rear
kit 29270-3 Is for light weight front heavy rear -1 front -2 rear
Kit 29270-4 Heavy front and back . -2 front - 2 rear

The bomb shell news is that these springs are all the same rate , they aren't harder or softer at all The difference is the length .-1 short -2 longer ,

The biggest problem is that these 4 spring combinations dont suit all the vans that we have in UK specially the modified ones ( camper or day van etc )

We at CRS have ended up with 14 different combinations of spring to enable correct drops and carry weight at the correct height . so its way more complex than it first seems.

To give you an idea of how to spec the H&R springs

29270-1 small engine. nothing in the rear
29270-2 Big ( heavier ) engine nothing in the rear
29270-3 Small engine Camper rear
29270-4 Big engine ( heavier ) and camper rear .

This is complicated further by E C Parts commissioning H&R to make the same 4 spring range but in 50 mm drops , These dont use normal H&R part numbers because they arent H&R catalogue parts,

to hi light the issues with a small range of springs

29270-4 in a 180 hp Biturbo camper LWB Manual drop is 60 mm NOT 40 mm
fitting any of these kits to a 4 motion add at least 10 to 15 mm to the lowering range !!

View attachment 244889
Great info - thankyou for that

Back