H&R T6 Springs fitted to T6.1 - Issues?

Jonnyst90

VIP Member
I purchased a T6.1 panel van which had been converted to a Kombi for the previous owner by a conversion company. I was told by the garage I bought it from that it had been lowered 35mm all round on H&R springs which seem to be the common size H&R lowering springs for a T6.1 so didnt think anything of it.

When it was raining and we were away for the weekend, I noticed a bit of light knocking when steering at slow speed. Knocking has gone now its dry but, I was having a closer look at the suspension today and noticed the springs have the part number 29270-1 which I believe is 40mm lowering springs for a T5-T6 and are not suitable for a T6.1. What issues will I be looking at with the incorrect springs being installed?

The T6.1 needs longer droplinks when lowering to avoid the rollbar knocking on the front. Worth checking to see if they've done them with the springs.

The T6.1 needs longer droplinks when lowering to avoid the rollbar knocking on the front. Worth checking to see if they've done them with the springs.
I thought longer drop links were only required for over 40mm drop?

T6.1 springs have a plastic sleeve fitted to the lowest coil, and the spring mount plate is different to match this.

T6.1 springs have a plastic sleeve fitted to the lowest coil, and the spring mount plate is different to match this.
the plastic sleeve is a cheat way of making a spring fit the new T6,1 spring plates. They should actually look like this . As far as I can see we are the only spring manufacturer doing this correctly . 29270-1 is a 40 mm spring for a light T5 or T6 van , but because the T6.1 spring seat is 20 mm higher. They will achieve a 30 to 40 mm drop depending on the weight of the van . They won’t fit the spring seat properly , but there is nothing dangerous about it,.

5A8DC588-D703-4E39-95E1-71DD94CE1CB1.jpeg

1B297687-B2B0-4F6E-9588-B868DDF19B36.jpeg

the plastic sleeve is a cheat way of making a spring fit the new T6,1 spring plates. They should actually look like this . As far as I can see we are the only spring manufacturer doing this correctly . 29270-1 is a 40 mm spring for a light T5 or T6 van , but because the T6.1 spring seat is 20 mm higher. They will achieve a 30 to 40 mm drop depending on the weight of the van . They won’t fit the spring seat properly , but there is nothing dangerous about it,.

View attachment 195520

View attachment 195521
Thanks for getting back to me!

Do you think the spring moving in the larger seat could be the cause of the minor clunking I'm experiencing? Had it worst when it was raining but have noticed recently it sometimes happening for a little bit after going over speed bumps.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Do you think the spring moving in the larger seat could be the cause of the minor clunking I'm experiencing? Had it worst when it was raining but have noticed recently it sometimes happening for a little bit after going over speed bumps.
Its very possible and when it gets water on it ( rain ) it lubricates it so slides around more , Usually clunks leave tell tale scratches on the paint so maybe strip one side and look , I can sell you the T6.1 rubbers if you want and you can bond them on fix it properly

Its very possible and when it gets water on it ( rain ) it lubricates it so slides around more , Usually clunks leave tell tale scratches on the paint so maybe strip one side and look , I can sell you the T6.1 rubbers if you want and you can bond them on fix it properly
Thanks mate, that would be great if you could sell me the rubbers! Could you please DM me a price and how to pay etc?

Back