Which cable to run from Leisure Battery to fuse box in rear cupboard?

Thanks so much for the reply and that makes perfect sense and I have just ordered some more 6mm wire. Can I just double check the bit about ‘routed to the leisure battery via the chassis’ means that I simply can just connect the negative from the fridge to the negative on the battery and that’s all I need to do so it’s a simple circuit. Getting confused as some information says ground it to chassis.
Thanks Darren
Some of us have a 'shunt' between the LB- and chassis to measure the current and derive the SOC (state of charge). In that case it's essential to connect any Load- to the chassis, NOT the battery.

If you don't have such a setup, this distinction becomes irrelevant, and the choice then becomes about where you can make the best, clean connection and keep wires short.

Thanks for that and I am now in a position to crack on with it and look forward to having a more efficient fridge without voltage drop.
Darren

Thanks so much for the reply and that makes perfect sense and I have just ordered some more 6mm wire. Can I just double check the bit about ‘routed to the leisure battery via the chassis’ means that I simply can just connect the negative from the fridge to the negative on the battery and that’s all I need to do so it’s a simple circuit. Getting confused as some information says ground it to chassis.
Thanks Darren
You CAN connect everything to the leisure battery with a positive and negative cable, but traditionally in automotive circuits, the chassis is used as part of the negative cabling. It’s assumed the chassis has very low resistance ( so low voltage drop) and you only need to route one cable (positive ) from your battery (via fuse) to your load. The negative side of the circuit is completed by wiring leisure battery to the nearest chassis GND point and the same at the load end.
As has been said, you can place a shunt between the battery and the chassis to get an accurate measurement of current flow into and out of the battery and monitor its State of Charge - this is how the starter battery is configured on a T6 for example. In this case , you should not connect loads directly to the battery negative, but only connect them via the chassis otherwise the shunt will not measure that current and the battery State of Charge will not be monitored correctly.

thank you that’s all great and useful information and it all makes perfect sense.sounds straight forward now that I know the details.
Darren

As above

Fatter cable is always better.

And chassis is normally better still if the cable run is more that say 50cm.

Thanks for that information and I have just found a good chassis point as cable run is 1m. Darren

Back