Victron or Renogy DC-DC charger, cable sizing and the spare under the passenger seat…

Gary_M

VIP Member
Under my passenger seat I have what looks to be a 10mmsq cable which I’m lead to believe can be used for a DC-DC charger, negative coming from chassis.
I was originally thinking of a Victron 12/12/30 unit which would be mounted in a cupboard I intend to make and located under the non sliding door, behind the drivers seat. I’ll also locate the leisure battery there too.
I’d probably extend the 10mmsq cable via a fuse connection to get to where I need it, using 16mmsq cable to reduce the resistance over the whole run. Sound good?
However, I’ve read the Victron unit gets extremely hot which lead me to look for other options, a Renogy 50A unit with MPPT being one option. Given the cable to under the seat may only be 10mmsq would it not be possible to use a 50A DC-DC charger? I’d probably downgrade its output via software so it’s not maxing out but the circuit would need to be designed for worse case scenario. If I went that direction would I need to run a 16mmsq cable to the vehicle battery and ignore the ‘spare’ cable under the seat?

As you say the Victron Orion gets very hot running at 30A if not free air ventilated.

The Renogy dual do a 30A and 50A versions.

But you can limit the output via the APP.

I use a 50A unit but set the limiter to 30A.... That way it stays cool in the double seat base that has no free air...... This is running on the Roamer 230Ah lithium.

Also note that if you connect any solar the unit drops to 25+25A,.... So you need to fit a PV isolator to get full power.

Thanks. I assumed it shared the load so a PV isolator would be a must whilst driving, hopefully not forgetting to turn it back on when parked up! Possibly a 12v DC rated relay with a NC contact, coil fed from the ignition 12v so it breaks on starting the engine? Maybe easier to get a separate MPPT controller

Any thoughts on the cable sizing I mentioned? Baring in mind I would more than likely locate the DC-DC charger under my passenger single seat too. I mentioned only behind the drivers seat in a cupboard to facilitate easy wiring when I do finally get solar.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
i use a separate Victron MPPT, and dont use the Renogy solar feature.

1700392456155.png

Back