Adding a 12v socket

John wright

Hi, I’m trying to add a 12v socket in rear of van. It will be run from the leisure battery fuse box. What size fuse should I use and what amp size cable. If I used a 15amp fuse would 17amp cable be ok? Many thanks in advance, from a first time post

Traditionally a 12v socket is fused and wired at 15amps but generally don't pull more than 8amps as the socket and plug can overheat.

The 15amp is just for transient start up surges etc.

If you have 17 amp cable then that should be fine, good practice is to have the cable capacity a bit above the fuse capacity as most fuses will take slightly more than the rating to blow.

I'd advise making sure whatever is plugged in uses a plug with a fuse at or below 8 amps - many have a glass fuse as part of the central pin.

That way the 15amp fusebox fuse is protecting the van electrics and the cabling to the socket and the smaller fuse in the plug is protecting the likely lighter wiring to whatever you are plugging in and avoiding any over heating issues.

If you have 17 amp cable then that should be fine, good practice is to have the cable capacity a bit above the fuse capacity as most fuses will take slightly more than the rating to blow.

I'd advise making sure whatever is plugged in uses a plug with a fuse at or below 8 amps - many have a glass fuse as part of the central pin.

That way the 15amp fusebox fuse is protecting the van electrics and the cabling to the socket and the smaller fuse in the plug is protecting the likely lighter wiring to whatever you are plugging in and avoiding any over heating issues.
Thanks bud, appreciate the advice

I’m not sure this is right. The cable cross section size and the fuse should relate to the load i.e. what are you running off it?

OEM fuses in the transporter are 15 amp, so the wiring will be suitable for that. Good quality 12 plugs have local fusing.

Just the same as in your house you have 30amp MCB protecting a 32amp ring main wiring and then local 13amp or 3amp fuse protecting the wiring to the appliance.

Definitely don’t try and draw more than 8 Amps from a standard cigarette lighter type socket. It will overheat.

Pete

Back