Which cable to run from Leisure Battery to fuse box in rear cupboard?

MikeMc88

2018 Highline
T6 Pro
I am looking to put my fuse box in the rear cupboard and need to know which size cable to use? to run from battery under driver seat to cupboards at the rear of the van.

Will a fused 6mm cable be enough?

Depends what will be attached to the cable at the fuse box end.

Pete

Last edited:
I think I ran 10mm that should handle about 70amp. A pretty ‘average’ install I’d say.

This might help you Cable Stuff .

Same here, 10mm fused.

Ideally you need to know what your planning to run from the fuse box and then figure out the draw and add it all up, then bank on 20-25% extra capacity.

Thats my route .

I ran 16mm from passenger side seat to driver side seat, fed one fusebox there (fridge, planar, 12v socket), then 6mm on to the rear fusebox (lights. water pump, usb sockets). I did this mainly to keep the fridge and heater runs very short.

Thank you for the responses and guidance. I have a 6mm fused cable, but I will get a larger cable if necessary.

It will be to run to a 12 way fuse box which will supply power for 8 led lights, 12v plug, 2 usb sockets, fridge, TV and possibly water pump.

Total up your maximum expected power draw, add a bit for safety and then go up to the next size cable!
FYI 6mm cable is rated to 48 amps so will typically have a usefull maximum (fused) rating of 30 amps.

Edit.
Don't forget about voltage drop. Well remembered by those below :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses and guidance. I have a 6mm fused cable, but I will get a larger cable if necessary.

It will be to run to a 12 way fuse box which will supply power for 8 led lights, 12v plug, 2 usb sockets, fridge, TV and possibly water pump.

Thats a fair amount. Your fridge will probably drink quite a bit.

What I did was run a dedicated 6mm cable with in-line fuse just for the fridge, and a separate 6mm cable to the fuse box.
I did this because of reports that the start-up current of the fridge was quite high, and if there is too much voltage drop on the cable then it will not start up.
I reckon 6mm is plenty for what you are doing, particularly if you do what I described above.

Pete

Same here, 10mm fused.

Ideally you need to know what your planning to run from the fuse box and then figure out the draw and add it all up, then bank on 20-25% extra capacity.

Thats my route .
When I figured out my (fairly normal) current requirements, I found I had to massively oversize the cables to keep volt drop down. So at least in my van, 'draw' (or current/Amps) is not the deciding consideration at all.

For instance, Fridge, Heater, lights, water pump combined will use around 12A. 1.0mm cable can handle this, but volt drop over 6m will be 2.8V, obviously unacceptable. 2.5mm cable can carry twice the 'draw', but still volt drop is a nasty 1.2V. To keep volt drop under 0.5V it turns out 10mm is needed (so I used 16mm!)

1. Size the cable for the volt drop
2. Size the fuse for the load
3. Check the cable is big enough for the fuse (it most likely will be)

I hope I don't sound like I'm picking at your method, just trying to help!

When I figured out my (fairly normal) current requirements, I found I had to massively oversize the cables to keep volt drop down. So at least in my van, 'draw' (or current/Amps) is not the deciding consideration at all.

For instance, Fridge, Heater, lights, water pump combined will use around 12A. 1.0mm cable can handle this, but volt drop over 6m will be 2.8V, obviously unacceptable. 2.5mm cable can carry twice the 'draw', but still volt drop is a nasty 1.2V. To keep volt drop under 0.5V it turns out 10mm is needed (so I used 16mm!)

1. Size the cable for the volt drop
2. Size the fuse for the load
3. Check the cable is big enough for the fuse (it most likely will be)

I hope I don't sound like I'm picking at your method, just trying to help!
Not at all, my reply was a little too generic.
My point was that you need to know why your hooking up to the fuse box to really determine your cable size.
Out of interest what size fuse did you use for the 16mm cable?

Not at all, my reply was a little too generic.
My point was that you need to know why your hooking up to the fuse box to really determine your cable size.
Out of interest what size fuse did you use for the 16mm cable?
I fused it at 30A. If I remember correctly, I couldn't get a smaller MIDI fuse, or I would have used a 20A.

I kept volt drops to a minimum by fitting two 6 way fuseboxes. The first one is only 2m (of cable) from the battery, this feeds the fridge and heater (the main power users, with high inrush). The second fusebox near the rear has only light loads on it.

Thanks. I will probably just get another 6mm cable and power the fridge to separate fuse box as suggested.

I have a 6mm cable and a 10mm cable both fused at 30 amps. Would it be best to use the 10mm fused for the higher load stuff like the fridge etc and use the 6mm cable for lower powered stuff such as the lights, tv etc.

I have 3 fuse boxes I can use. A 12 way fuse box and Two 6 way fuse boxes.

My plan was to use the 10mm fused cable with 6 way fuse box to power to fridge which would be around half a metre of wiring to location.
And use the 6mm fused cable with 6 way fuse box to power lights, tv etc which would be around 1.2 - 1.5 metres to rear cupboards.

Would that be a good way to set it up?

That's how I would do it, but given the 10mm cable is only powering the fridge, and it is already fused, why use another fuse box before the fridge ?

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for the quick reply. It will just be powering the fridge for now but was planning on adding a heater in the near future.

Hi all
Can I just check if you also need a bigger cable for the negative on a fridge. I am wiring my dometic cr50 straight to leisure battery as it’s currently to a pms3 and have some 6mm wire for the positive. There is the existing 4mm negative/ground wire which I am thinking of using or should I replace it with 6mm.
Thanks in advance.

Hi all
Can I just check if you also need a bigger cable for the negative on a fridge. I am wiring my dometic cr50 straight to leisure battery as it’s currently to a pms3 and have some 6mm wire for the positive. There is the existing 4mm negative/ground wire which I am thinking of using or should I replace it with 6mm.
Thanks in advance.
When you're working out voltage drop, then you need to add the length of both positive and negative cables - If you think you need to uprate the positive cable to 6mm, then you almost certainly need to uprate the negative as well. - But if the negative is routed to the leisure battery via the chassis and good connections, then hopefully the voltage drop through the chassis section is low, its just fridge to chassis cable and chassis to Leisure battery cable you need to consider.

Thanks so much for the reply and that makes perfect sense and I have just ordered some more 6mm wire. Can I just double check the bit about ‘routed to the leisure battery via the chassis’ means that I simply can just connect the negative from the fridge to the negative on the battery and that’s all I need to do so it’s a simple circuit. Getting confused as some information says ground it to chassis.
Thanks Darren

Back