Which Base Van For Camper Conversion?

If you get a Kombi with privacy glass sliders and want rear glass a just buy the genuine rear glass from vw in privacy too??
This also fits properly with no worries...
I believe some aftermarket glass is flat it isn’t curved and doesn’t follow the contour of the van..converters literally have to force the glass to curve ..

Completely agree with above, I bought a Kombi with the slightly tinted sliders, then bought matching VW OEM rear quarters that I fitted. I have a blank glass panel where the wardrobe is and this looks darker as obviously it is not clear.
But it does give a more uniformed and professional finish if you go down the Kombi route.
Screenshot_20190428-105830.jpg

Completely agree with above, I bought a Kombi with the slightly tinted sliders, then bought matching VW OEM rear quarters that I fitted. I have a blank glass panel where the wardrobe is and this looks darker as obviously it is not clear.
But it does give a more uniformed and professional finish if you go down the Kombi route.
View attachment 42173
Thanks for info. OK, i think from this it would be best to get factory fit windows all round and that way not worry about what kind of job the converters would do...

View attachment 42173
That looks stunning

View attachment 42173
What size / wheels are those?

Sorry to re-ignite this thread but I can't seem to find another.

I too am about to delve into the world of Camper conversions. I like the idea of doing it myself, but I hate to wait so I want to get one already converted. My budget allows for a T6 model with relatively low mileage.
Looking around, there are a massive amount of T6 102ps 5-speed models. My worry is that they're underpowered for a conversion and maybe the suspension and/or breaks struggle too?

So the question is - does anyone drive a T28 102ps conversion and is it adequate? If not what about mapping to 150bhp - does that help or is there a struggle with the 5 speed after that?

Thanks in advance

We have a 2017 T28 102ps full camper van conversion, which we have had since July last year, and only use it at weekends and for holidays. I can honestly say that I have not found it to be underpowered at any time to date. It does sit down at the rear due to the increased weight of the conversion, but handles well and stops fine for me and the way that I drive. I guess you would find it running out of puff on long steep hills, but living in Kent I haven’t had that problem yet!
There are some really interesting threads on here regarding re-mapping the Euro 6 102. Both REVO and Pendle (these seem to be the most trusted) offer re-maps that ‘safely’ increase power to @ 170ps, but limit the torque to protect the five speed manual gearbox (a potential weakness apparently).
Having read extensively about other people’s experiences and opinions, and seen lots of pictures of their vans on here, I would like to improve the stance and handling in the future, probably with Bilstein B14’s and H&R ARB’s. A cheaper fix apparently is to fit T32 shocks! - this forum really is a wealth of practical knowledge and experience, so well worth an extensive search on here for info.

And the brakes were fine in the Alps on some major descents - no issues at all.

Pete

Doing research for our T6 camper conversion and wondered which is the best base model to use for conversion, already decided on LWB and most likely 2.0 oil burner. I like the idea of all window model with sliding doors both sides but open to opinion on good or bad idea, I also love gadgets and tech so what models have most kit to start with, and what accessories are a must have ? any advice photos will be appreciated, cheers in advance Eamonn..

If you want twin sliders and glass all round, then a Shuttle would be your best starting point. A Caravelle is posher, but you'll be taking all the expensive 'velle stuff out.

All the diesels are 2.0. 102, 150 and 204/199PS. The 102 has a five speed gearbox, whereas the others have either a 6 speed manual, or 7 speed DSG.

LED headlights are superb and were an option, but the Shuttle gets the better of the 2 halogen offerings as standard.

A Highline spec will get you air con, alloys, alarm, colour coded mirrors and bumpers and a few other extras.

Only thing to be mindful of with twin sliders, is that it will limit your options a bit on layout if you want a full camper conversion. Not a show stopper, and depends what kind of fit out your thinking it, but something to be aware of.

Also, give some though to whether you want a bench or single passenger seat up front. Most start life with a bench seat, and fitting a single is easy enough to do, but finding one at a sensible price is another matter. So if you want a single, keep an eye out for van that already has one if you can. Swivels are an easy enough retro fit if you want them, but again if you can find a van that has them already, you’ll save yourself some time and money.

As suggested above, a Shuttle could be a good start point and will save you money on windows.

A Highline spec will get you air con, alloys, alarm, colour coded mirrors and bumpers and a few other extras.

Only thing to be mindful of with twin sliders, is that it will limit your options a bit on layout if you want a full camper conversion. Not a show stopper, and depends what kind of fit out your thinking it, but something to be aware of.

Also, give some though to whether you want a bench or single passenger seat up front. Most start life with a bench seat, and fitting a single is easy enough to do, but finding one at a sensible price is another matter. So if you want a single, keep an eye out for van that already has one if you can. Swivels are an easy enough retro fit if you want them, but again if you can find a van that has them already, you’ll save yourself some time and money.

As suggested above, a Shuttle could be a good start point and will save you money on windows.
Can i ask why, and in what way, twin sliders will limit options on layout? Thanks.

Reactions: Ozi
Can i ask why, and in what way, twin sliders will limit options on layout? Thanks.
Considered a twin slider as a base van when I was buying. If you want a full camper conversion with units/kitchen permanently fitted down one side, you either lose the use of one slider, or are limited to a fit out which is reduced in length or partially removable.

As we wanted a full fit out, didn’t seem much point having the second slider, as we’d never be able to use it. Also found that some convertors just weren’t interested in adjusting their standard kit/fit to overcome the small hurdles it creates. Think latter point is a fairly small issue, so for me it was simply about losing its use, so no point having it in the first place.

I have seen a couple of quite innovative fit outs which do work, but all depends on what you want personally. So was just flagging it for consideration.

I've seen a few converted twin sliders. They have been home builds, but the access to the back of the kitchen for services has to be a plus.

I've seen a few converted twin sliders. They have been home builds, but the access to the back of the kitchen for services has to be a plus.
I agree. Simple access to all water, gas and electrickery. I've even seen one where the units swing out so you can cook outside if wanted. That was great idea.

Not sure which converter did it though.

I'm currently torn between the two van specs attached for a camper conversion, they are pretty much the same van but obviously the Kombi Window Van has the added rear windows and is registered as M1. I'd really like to know people's thoughts on which van they would go with and the pros / cons of why? Also are there any addons they would remove / add?

Thanks very much in advance!
  1. T30 Panel van Highline SWB 150 PS 2.0 TDI 7sp DSG (£45,975)
    - Swivel seat in cab, passenger
    - Swivel seat in cab, driver
    - Heated washer nozzles in front and washer fluid level indicator
    - LED headlamps with LED daytime running lights (Tailgate) with red tail lights
    - Rear view camera
    - Power latching for passenger side sliding door
    - Carpet floor covering in cab
    - Rubber floor covering in passenger/load compartment with loading edge protection rear with step illumination
    - Rear window with heat-insulating glass, heated, rear window wiper and washer system
    - Tyre pressure loss indicator
    - Heated driver and front passenger seats

2. T30 Kombi Highline SWB 150 PS 2.0 TDI 7sp DSG (£47,001)
    - Swivel seat in cab, passenger
    - Swivel seat in cab, driver
    - Heated washer nozzles in front and washer fluid level indicator
    - LED headlamps with LED daytime running lights (Tailgate) with red tail lights
    - Rear view camera
    - Power latching for passenger side sliding door
    - Carpet floor covering in cab
    - Heated driver and front passenger seats
    - Window Van package

Attachments

• Transporter-6.1-Panel-van.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Transporter-6.1-Kombi.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Back