Which Base Van For Camper Conversion?

Simon Kay

T6 Pro
Looking for advice on this...have got a T28 on order but now starting to sweat a little as I'm going to go pretty much full options on the conversion,pop-top, solar roof, awning, eibacher heating (or whatever it's called ;)), 80 liter tank, bike rack (tow bar). it'll only be for the 2 of us but the rear seat/bed is approved for carrying 3 people.

thoughts please?

cheers
Simon

Thanks Colin, I appreciate it! I wasn't looking forward to spending the extra 1200eur (on top of everything that's gone before it!)

Our converter said T28 SWB was adequate but recommended T30 as it gives a more useable overall payload.

I agree the T30 probably the sweet spot but you have to weigh up what's worth more to you unless you have unlimited budget

So what exactly is the difference once you have swapped out the suspension for B14s or whatever?

thanks guys, the dealer says there's no actual difference in the suspension/brakes etc. it just increases the maximum allowable weight on the paperwork...unless you go for the Z4Q option (at even greater cost) to get uprated springs and dampers.

Sorry to chuck a negative in but I nearly got a T28 as they had one in stock but my conversion guy said not to as he thinks a fully loaded camper is getting close to 2.8t in total and so could cause insurnace issues.
Has anyone weighed their fully loaded van on a weigh bridge???? I seem to remember an old thread on this cos I was going to weigh mine but never got round to it.

thanks guys, the dealer says there's no actual difference in the suspension/brakes etc. it just increases the maximum allowable weight on the paperwork...unless you go for the Z4Q option (at even greater cost) to get uprated springs and dampers.
Fully loaded camper with everything we typically take camping (awning, clothes, food, beer, drinking water, etc.) with 2 adults, 1 child, 2 dogs, 3 bikes, extra weight to mimic trailer downforce (circa 50kg), water tank full (75litre), full fuel, etc. mine came in at 2870kg. It would be relatively easy to get below the 2800 limit (eg. empty water tank) but with a T30 I don't need to.

As well as what goes into the conversion a lot will also depend on the spec of the base van as things like DSG, Highline extras, etc.. all eat into the available payload

Westfalia quote the weight of mine including 75kg driver, full fuel and water tanks, gas bottle and included accessories (hookup cable, silver screens, awning) as 2400kg. I'm not going to get anywhere near that available payload of 400kg, though as it seats 4 I can see that it may be trickier with a family. To be honest though, I think I'd run out of space well before payload

@andys - have you ever put it on a weigh bridge to confirm? Guessing you will be well within the 2800kg but, personally, I'd still check it just in case you ever do need to load a bit extra.

My van (converted T30 Highline spec) is quoted as 2320kg in the generic Hillside manual supplied with it but its surprising how fast things eat into your payload, e.g. 20kg for DSG, 15kg for Fiamma, 25kg for a towbar, 15 kg for a bike rack, etc. For a couple without trailer, bike rack with heavy bikes, etc., then a T28 will more than suffice, but, as you suggest, for a family with lots of outdoor gear to carry/tow I'd suggest a T30 (or even a T32).

Use a T30 then no worries, I have a new unused Reimo LWB awning on sale soon along with Gaslow from my previous campers as I am looking to buy a Cali

@andys - have you ever put it on a weigh bridge to confirm? Guessing you will be well within the 2800kg but, personally, I'd still check it just in case you ever do need to load a bit extra.

My van (converted T30 Highline spec) is quoted as 2320kg in the generic Hillside manual supplied with it but its surprising how fast things eat into your payload, e.g. 20kg for DSG, 15kg for Fiamma, 25kg for a towbar, 15 kg for a bike rack, etc. For a couple without trailer, bike rack with heavy bikes, etc., then a T28 will more than suffice, but, as you suggest, for a family with lots of outdoor gear to carry/tow I'd suggest a T30 (or even a T32).
Yes you're right, it would be interesting to do that, I'll see if I can find one locally

Weighed mine last week.. 2260kg with half tank of fuel . We have full conversion including Rib bed and Evo side kitchen , gas and water on board plus stuff under seats and usual pots and pans , EHU and storage tent .
I was stood outside so add me and max 3 passengers maybe 375 kg max plus couple of bikes , Coleman shelter , some kit and food/drink I reckoned left 100kg spare
Ours is Highline T28 btw
Hope this helps
Mark

Doesn't cost a lot (think mine was £7.50 - not a lot for peace of mind) and some weight-bridges wont even charge you if you don't need a ticket. I deliberately loaded mine to the max with everything I could conceivably take for a week away to give a realistic idea of how much tolerance I had. For me the biggest problem was the proportion of the weight over the back axle (RIB bed, storage spaces, 75l water tank, gas, bulk of cabinets and contents, etc., made worse with addition of bikes and trailer adding circa 100-150kg over the back)

Back