Second hand camper or pay for a conversion - which is more cost effective?

fozz1e

Hey everyone,

As per the subject... I've been looking at converted T6s and can't help but feel I'd get a bit more for my money buying a panel van and paying a company to convert it for me and then benefit from being the first owner of it as a camper plus having it done to my taste and requirements.

For example I'm seeing full camper conversions on 2018/2019 vans, low mileage, roughly £40,000.

Whereas it feels like I could buy a panel van that is a couple of years newer and lower mileage for 20-25, pay 20 to convert (assuming going for a good spec). Is this generally a more cost effective way to go or is that not a thing?

I'd love to do the conversion myself but have to be realistic that with 2 young children and a house that needs work it wouldn't happen!

We had the same issue. There was always something 'not quite right' with all the conversions we looked at. So we bought a Kombi and have had it done to what we feel would suit us better. We didn't want a full on kitchen as wife likes dining out when we are away so have a couple of tables to boil a kettle for drinks. Fridge for a cool beer. And a kingsize bed. With the added benefit of keeping 5 seats. And a lot less than some of the ready converted we looked at. And you'd be amazed at the amount you can do yourself.

20231113_115407.jpg

20231210_181026.jpg

20231210_181102.jpg

20231213_180319.jpg

20231213_180305.jpg

20240131_162119.jpg

20240131_181229.jpg

20240131_191835.jpg

20240302_122547.jpg

Last edited:
I think your numbers are a bit out, I'm afraid. Cheapest 2020 vans on auto trader are 20-23k + VAT, so 25k minimum. Easily add on another 5 or 10k if you want an actual decent spec.

Conversion costs - you'll be looking at £5k just for a pop top. I think 20k for a full conversion is more towards the budget end of the market. So all of a sudden you're staring at 50k+....

But you'd really need to look at proper costs, not just finger in the air stuff, as it can vary massively.

Before we bought our van we hired a rental T6.1 to jump straight into the NC500. That was when we decided a camper was for us.
With a wife, two needy daughters and a 3 year old grand daughter my time is not my own! Consequently we bought, didn't build.
With the exception of some initial snobbery that I didn't build it myself, it was the right choice for us and it meant we could get straight out and enjoy the experience!
No regrets, quite a few upgrades since, there is always something to spend money on, but I think we have it the way we want it now, loving it!
Edit.... I do want one of those Hotty Boily taps and I could lose the sink (bread bin), but that can wait.....

We’ve just bought a full conversion a few months , it was a long thought process, like yourself , weather to buy a van and kit it out or buy ready made. Depending on what year van and what spec you want it’s anything from £45-60000, by the time you source everything. We finely just just went with a second hand van with new conversion.

We got ours from camper versions in Blackburn, highly recommended
Good luck

I bought a 100k mile Startline for £17k with a view to convert it myself, because that's all I could afford at the time and I thought it would work out cheaper.

It's not quite finished and there are still some pricey things I need (and many more I want), so I reckon by the time I'm done I'm going to be somewhere around £35k, give or take a few thousand. That said I have generally used very decent equipment throughout.

You've stated that you would hand it over to a company for conversion, which would obviously cost a bit more than DIY, but I think the point I'm making is that you need to do your sums very carefully as the difference between your two options may not be as big as you think.

As above if your confident in doing a diy job, go for it !. But if your not sure , there’s loads of things to think of that you never knew, Elecs etc…, if you do go with a conversion, go with a company with a warranty on the work, some are only 3 months, but some good ones give longer on their work like 3 year!

A bloody lot!
I do now possess the skills to start a camper conversion company. Would I want to? No effing chance! :laugh:
Hundreds of hours, easily - if my experience of 'only' building a couple of bits in my caravelle is any thing to go by!!

Don't forget a couple of grand for all the tools you'll need to get the job done too!

And yeah the costs soon add up. Take a typical decent spec electric set up:

230ah LiFePO4 battery - £800
DC-DC charger & MPPT - £400
Solar panels - £400
EHU parts - £200
Fuses, switches, cables etc - £200

There's £2k gone already...

Thanks very much for all the input everyone and sorry it's taken a while to get back, I had to go away for work at short notice but lots of good advice.

A colleague pointed out my rookie error that I think TallPaul is getting at... I didn't realise a lot of the prices I was looking at for panel vans were without VAT so some of the conversions I've seen do seem a bit more attractive with that in mind.

The other option I'm looking at is the same colleague has done a couple of conversions and the latest one I've seen is done to a great standard so we may work together to convert something. Either way I'll be sure to share some pictures once the project is under way!

Back