Which Base Van For Camper Conversion?

@stuart-t6 Could I ask what you insure your van as? Is it a van, day van, camper, etc?
I am with A plan insurance and initially it was down as a day van but I told them I was going to fit a pop top and add units etc. They where very accommodating with upgrades and I fixed the value.
I haven’t changed belted seats which I think they did ask about

I am with A plan insurance and initially it was down as a day van but I told them I was going to fit a pop top and add units etc. They where very accommodating with upgrades and I fixed the value.
I haven’t changed belted seats which I think they did ask about
In fact I am going to change the log book to campervan when I get around to it

Not really thought about it till now but how about TSi vs TDi? Can't recall seeing any petrol's for sale but see you can spec one? Worth considering? would resale be poor? Expect to cover less than 10k miles per year. Guess I need to do the maths on fuel economy and the cost difference between the two.

Not really thought about it till now but how about TSi vs TDi? Can't recall seeing any petrol's for sale but see you can spec one? Worth considering? would resale be poor? Expect to cover less than 10k miles per year. Guess I need to do the maths on fuel economy and the cost difference between the two.
I thought I read that they where no longer offering the TSi on the T6

Hi All,

Have been to a few more dealers and now confused as to whether to get a panel or Kombi van... ultimately only £2k-ish difference but is there any advantage to the kombi?

I am looking at having a full conversion to include usual elements and a high-level of thermal / sound insulation.

Would be very thankful for any advice!!

My base spec is

T32 Highline, 204, DSG, LWB 4Motion (with diff lock)
Glazed tailgate
Front/Rear parking sensors
Front/rear LED headlights
Removable tow bar

CZ.

Its swings and roundabouts, if you are getting someone to convert it for you i would speak to them first
If you get a kombi you have the benefit of rear windows already fitted but chances are you are going to add more at the far rear anyway, you are paying extra money for things you dont need/are going to remove but you can then sell the interior (seats/belts/floor) to someone doing a kombi conversion so theres not a huge amount in it
Personally i think i would get a van to start with, the bits you sell wont equal the extra you pay (and for me certainly not enough for the benefit of a couple extra windows)

Hi @czmate1999 I had the same questions about 18months ago. I went for a kombi as I found a real bargain with all the spec.
Yes you will pay about 2k more for a kombi. I sold my kombi interior, seats, seat belts, floor mounts & rubber matting for £1100.00. so was only down £900 over a panel van.

My conversion then had the factory slider windows (flush fitting) and factory rear glazed, heated & wash/wipe rear window / tailgate.

Oh and the kombi step & no hassle of removing a bulkhead etc.

Not saying a panel van is wrong, just saying how I did it. If I didn't want the flush factory sliders then I may have gone for a panel van. But I use the sliders quiet a lot for making tea and airflow in hotter campsites.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

I presume you are talking new - With the kombi you will have the following advantages;

Factory windows in side door and opposite - These are approx £1100+VAT to fit after market - Covered by factory warranty for three years when they leak!
A complete kombi interior to sell on - Should get about £1000 for this also

The difference between comparable kombi and panels is £1610+VAt before any discount, so you are quids in already.

You can also order the comfort dash, which you can't in a panel

I would go kombi everytime.

Let me know if you want a price

Hi @czmate1999 I had the same questions about 18months ago. I went for a kombi as I found a real bargain with all the spec.
Yes you will pay about 2k more for a kombi. I sold my kombi interior, seats, seat belts, floor mounts & rubber matting for £1100.00. so was only down £900 over a panel van.

My conversion then had the factory slider windows (flush fitting) and factory rear glazed, heated & wash/wipe rear window / tailgate.

Oh and the kombi step & no hassle of removing a bulkhead etc.

Not saying a panel van is wrong, just saying how I did it. If I didn't want the flush factory sliders then I may have gone for a panel van. But I use the sliders quiet a lot for making tea and airflow in hotter campsites.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
Hi $immo, did you use any particular site to sell the Kombi bits and bobs?
Cheers

CZ.

I presume you are talking new - With the kombi you will have the following advantages;

Factory windows in side door and opposite - These are approx £1100+VAT to fit after market - Covered by factory warranty for three years when they leak!
A complete kombi interior to sell on - Should get about £1000 for this also

The difference between comparable kombi and panels is £1610+VAt before any discount, so you are quids in already.

You can also order the comfort dash, which you can't in a panel

I would go kombi everytime.

Let me know if you want a price
Hi BM,
Left you a message to PM me on another thread. More quotes the better - to get the right deal :).

CZ.

Hi All,

Have been to a few more dealers and now confused as to whether to get a panel or Kombi van... ultimately only £2k-ish difference but is there any advantage to the kombi?

I am looking at having a full conversion to include usual elements and a high-level of thermal / sound insulation.

Would be very thankful for any advice!!

My base spec is

T32 Highline, 204, DSG, LWB 4Motion (with diff lock)
Glazed tailgate
Front/Rear parking sensors
Front/rear LED headlights
Removable tow bar

CZ.
Also buying a Kombi you can spec the comfort dash which is not available on a panel van !

FYI - Visited CMC today and they advised a Kombi van as opposed to Panel van... more thinking to do...

Aren’t Kombi windows bottle green and don’t match limo glass if you’re going for additional rear windows? There are several instances of VW openers leaking too.
I decided on a new van with the right additions for me to start with.. Even then I replaced the factory “tinted” tailgate glazing for matching limo glass. Tint film is an option but it’s vinyl and marks easy.

Aren’t Kombi windows bottle green and don’t match limo glass if you’re going for additional rear windows? There are several instances of VW openers leaking too.
I decided on a new van with the right additions for me to start with.. Even then I replaced the factory “tinted” tailgate glazing for matching limo glass. Tint film is an option but it’s vinyl and marks easy.
I ordered my Kombi with fixed side windows and they don't have a green tint, if I covert it will just replace one window with a after market slide window

I think it’s all horses for courses - some conversions want VW to do the work and some including DIY want a blank canvas

If you get a Kombi with privacy glass sliders and want rear glass a just buy the genuine rear glass from vw in privacy too??
This also fits properly with no worries...
I believe some aftermarket glass is flat it isn’t curved and doesn’t follow the contour of the van..converters literally have to force the glass to curve ..

Back