Camper conversion - ride quality differences between Kombi & Shuttle

d8smt

Hi all

I'm looking to get a T32 for a camper for a light conversion( poptop but no bed or fixed furniture). I'm wondering if there are any mechanical differences between the Kombi and Shuttle that makes one better than the other for driving or ride comfort. It will be used for occasional camping which I'll use a poptop bed for, but mainly carrying bikes and a large dog!

I'm aware of stuff like rear Aircon, vehicle class(M1/N1), extra rear windows and interior trim, etc. but are they mechanically the same and do they drive the same? Shuttles seem to be lower priced than Kombis in the 2nd hand market for like-for-like years/mileage, and I won't be using the rear seats anyway.
Many thx
Dave

Pretty much any T6 of the same area are the same under the floor and drive the same. The differences are down to engine/gearbox choice, suspension setup and tyre choice rather than interior trim.

The only thing that can make differences is the weight of the trim, so the California and camper conversions ride differently due to the weight (hence why changing the suspension setup is such a common conversation around these parts)

It's worth mentioning that the Caravelle tends to have a from factory 20mm drop on the suspension to give it a slightly more car/mpv like ride.

I suspect Shuttles may be a little lower as if what you want is mainly a van you want the load space not the windows and if you want the seats and a bit more comfort you're likely to head towards a Caravelle.

Pretty much any T6 of the same area are the same under the floor and drive the same. The differences are down to engine/gearbox choice, suspension setup and tyre choice rather than interior trim.

The only thing that can make differences is the weight of the trim, so the California and camper conversions ride differently due to the weight (hence why changing the suspension setup is such a common conversation around these parts)

It's worth mentioning that the Caravelle tends to have a from factory 20mm drop on the suspension to give it a slightly more car/mpv like ride.

I suspect Shuttles may be a little lower as if what you want is mainly a van you want the load space not the windows and if you want the seats and a bit more comfort you're likely to head towards a Caravelle.
Brilliant- appreciate the info. That's what I suspected but wasn't sure.

Hi Dave. I don't have any experience of a Shuttle, so can't answer your question directly, but do I have a T32 with factory suspension and a full conversion

I would say that the ride provided by the standard T32 suspension is much improved when there's a pretty significant load (such as a full conversion) in the back. Without the load, the T32 ride is harsh, bouncy and unforgiving; with the load, the ride is... shall we say... passable.

Whether you go Kombi or Shuttle, if you value comfort and control, you should probably be looking to upgrade the suspension.

Back